Fire code question. Urgent! Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire code question. Urgent! Ohio

My fire dept. has let me slide on quite a few things. sounds great right! I am now worried because I hear there is som kind of inspector from the state that can visit your house and shut it down even though the fire dept. says your good to go.

Is this true and if so who are they? whats their official title.

thanks in advance

smasters

It all depends on which state you're in.

The thing everyone on here tries to explain to everyone who asks a similar question about codes is that every single city, county and state in the country (which must amount to over 20,000 jurisdictions) is different.

And some officials are very easy to work with, while others are the exact opposite. So two places that have very similar rules could be very different to open in because of the people you have to deal with.

Edited: And stupid me missed the word Ohio in your title. Fellow Ohio haunters would be the ones to ask since the official is from the state. Instead of waiting for a reply at this busy time of year, look some of them up on the haunt lists and call a couple or send them an email. While everyone is busy right now, this is something everyone can relate to and I bet almost anyone would be glad to help you.
    Last edited by shawnc; 10-01-2010, 11:31 AM.

Comment

In addition to your local fire dept. you can be inspected by your district state fire marshal, and your local building inspector. There are alot of haunts in rural Ohio, that could not pass an inspection from the state. A realistic and responsible thing to do would be to make improvements every year. Get yourself in the position to pass, as soon as you can. If they do come knocking on your door, it won't be as bad.

PM me and I will get back with you early next week.
      www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

Thank You. I really do not want to cut any corners here and safety is best.

Thanks again

Comment

The Ohio Revised Code is posted online and is fairly clear in its expectations for "Special Amusements" which is what we fall under. The main thing that has changed in Ohio in the last few years is that the codes are being more uniformly enforced across the state. Feel free to email me with any questions. I looked into this pretty intensely a few years ago.

Comment

Here is a link that may help....I hope.....
            http://www.com.ohio.gov/fire/docs/HauntedHouses.pdf

Dave B

Comment

Working...
            X