Worst Haunt Ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Haunt Ever!

People of N.E. OHIO BEWARE! I went to a "Haunted Attraction" in North Olmstead, Ohio over the weekend. It was AWFUL! I felt sorry for the actors, they tried, but the the Haunt as a whole just awful! They had props in their Haunt that even a Home Haunter wouldnt use. Their advertising claimed they had won these great awards for scariest attraction blah, blah... This attraction (and I hate even using that word) was just bad...Stay away!!

"Even home haunters wouldn't use"?

In defence of the 1,000s of people on The Halloween Forum, maybe you should spend some time there before you make such a statement?
    There are many very intelligent , gifted people doing incredible work there that might be "Home" but as good or better than anybody else is doing. Where do you think pro-haunters come from?
    Yes, I totally agree with you that advertising has to at least somewhat bare some truth to providing customers a clue as to the actual quality of what they will be getting for their ticket dollar and nobody likes the feeling of being totally ripped-off by plain old lies.
    Then again, maybe you are a rarer customer with higher expectations than their average patron? (I mean this as a compliment )
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Being on this forum I assume you are a haunter in some capacity?

I have never thought it good practice to bash another's attraction/company in an industry which you are a part of or even a fan of. This falls in my opinion under the realm of "bad sportsmanship". While when I was a teen I might have been a little harsh on reviews and such, I know now that no good comes from it...

You did not state the name of this haunt, but in being from the area I know which one you are referring to, and you may want to look up some info and history on what you are bashing. I give amazing credit to this haunt for what they are doing and have done, and without seeing it myself, the fact that they were able to get an attraction up and running in itself is a feat that many of us cannot share the glory of regardless of what it looks like.

Do you own, run, or work for an attraction that others can make comments on? If so how would you feel if someone came on and bashed yours like this? It is better give give constructive helpful comments to an attraction you dont like directly so they can improve...

Just my 2 cents on it.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
      -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

I agree with Mike, though the house may not be what you expected, to openly bash them on a forum is in bad taste.

I've seen the reviews and their website, and though they in fact bash another house in their youtube video, this isn't the place to air grievances about quality/price.

It does take alot to get a haunt open, and i'm rather surprised that they pulled it off in North Olmsted. That city is notorious for fighting haunt plans in NE Ohio.

The mere fact that they pulled it off is something to applaude regardless of the quality.

Think of it as a foot in the door, though it may not be up to expectations this year, they achieved the task of getting permits and opening...hopefully in the future they will make it a destination for haunt enthusiasts.
        In the Shadows...We are Legion

Comment

Bad form....

As haunters most of us are very critical of others in our own circles, but outward bashing isn't good for the industry as a whole.
          If you are in the industry, have you met with the owner/operator, explain who you are and offer advice and suggestions?
          I had a similar experience recently, the advertising was misleading and was in general pretty awful, but I have been in contact with people about training actors and recruiting some experienced people, helping with makeup etc.
          I've always been a firm believer in constructive criticism, since we as a community of haunters, are only as strong as our weakest links. And most of those links are just guilty of not knowing how to execute.
          Besides, hauntworld isn't the place for reviews, in my opinion.
          Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

a prop does not a haunt make.
            I can scare someone or find a character creepy enough to scare someone with a sock if need be. This was the only argument you put up as to it being the worse haunt ever.

I don't mind reviews but if you make such a bold statement as This is the worst haunt ever, then there needs to be a very good explanation as to why.

a review like this one provides a negative connotation with no true critique that could be used by the reader or the owner of the haunt in which to review and enact change to help create a better haunt.

While the super haunts as I call them have great production value they did not start out that way. It takes many years for some haunts to work on their shows for them to get to those production levels.
            Also many times haunts with a much smaller budget will be even more frightening by using what little resources they have around them.

I disagree about the reviews however I think they very much so have a place on the boards if done well and can help the industry strive to be better.
            Last edited by soultrkr; 10-04-2010, 02:54 PM. Reason: edited for spell check
            Proud to be able to work at
            http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

Re the reviews

the reason I say they have no place is because I have yet to see anything productive come out of the posts I have seen, and it usually goes to the defensive in 0 secs.
              Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

I didnt mean to Bash his Haunt. I've been through dozens of Haunted Attractions but this one was sure not worth my $13.00. Remember--they are charging for a service and I feel like I should be getting something for my money in return or doesnt that matter? Its all about quality of a show, dont you think? Maybe all of you who made a comment should go pay the admission and tell me your review? Maybe I was there on a bad night?

Comment

If I was in the area I would more than likely.
                  My issue with this review is you did not give any kind of critique for example.
                  As I entered the first scene there was a clown in a victorian mansion which threw off the illusion the haunt was trying to achieve.
                  Or the actors all wore black robes making the whole of the haunt look like Gregorian monks gone wild.

You could say, The actors were energetic and powerful but could not overcome the cliche black plastic drapery.

I can understand you feel you wasted 13 dollars but what people are saying here is we try to be constructive in most things. without specifics there is nothing to work from. Did you express your thoughts to the Haunt owner? many haunt owners love to hear feedback both pro and con it helps them become better.

Try sending the haunt and email if you did not. who knows if you lay out the issues you had with the haunt in an objective manner the owner might even decide to refund your 13 dollars.
                  Proud to be able to work at
                  http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

hey now

I’m a home haunter and one of my main props at first was made out of fence board and tin foil and I’m sure it was criticized behind my back, 1 year from then its made out of 2by4s and sheet metal and people enjoyed getting there picture taken with it. After borrowing a chainsaw I eventually bought my own and a gas mask and now i enjoy taking pictures with women with rather "provocative" costumes . I started with one fog machine and 1 strobe now i have 5 of each. I’m building my own animatronics at the age of 16 and know my tools more than most people my age (I find that sad) I even cleared a space in high school for engineering class to learn more about what I’m working with. I scared a kid with autism and made him cry and his 21 year old bro thanked me for and I quote "breaking him out of his shell.” As crowds of Mexican families approach I run to the center and they scatter. I’m not trying to brag but what I’m trying to say is that we all start somewhere. After just making scenes on my lawn Im now attempting my first actual walk through haunt and I’m tremendously nervous about it and want to do anything I can to make it as least horrible as possible but if it is I’m just going have to accept that fact and learn off my failures to have successes like I have previously, I hope you understand were I’m coming from.
                    Last edited by Biohazard; 10-04-2010, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Is this guy bashing the Haunt that it says on there site Proceeds go to MAKE A WISH..really?
                      Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

excellent post biohazard. keep at it, your spots going to be awesome!
                        In the Shadows...We are Legion

Comment

See, the issue is, people like BioHazard put their heart and soul into a passion that they have, and sometimes, people throw haunts up because all they want is the money. Which is fine, but it is just slightly annoying to see crap haunts thrown up by people looking to get rich quick, instead of taking pride in their passion....

Bio, trust me, your stuff is awesome. You have the drive and desire to become something great... keep it up sir.

Comment

What if he isn't a owner but customer? What if it is a very unsafe haunt? Are you people saying its bad to have an opinion on a haunt that might not be favorable or are you saying these boards in particular aren't a good place to state this opinion? It definately sucks when someone says your haunt isn't any good, whether it be true or not. And as an owner I would never publicly state something like the OP did. That is bad taste. But if I was never a owner and just a customer I would.

Where is the line with some of you though? Some of you same people agree that someone should come on here and inform people of bad vendors but not haunts that give a bad name?

I am not talking about this haunt in particular because I know nothing about them, I am just talking in general. Lets say a haunt is very unsafe and could kill someone, do we not say anything because their proceeds go to a charity? Do we privately tell this haunt they aren't safe? Or do we warn people about dangerous situations?

Again, I'm not even talking about the place in the post, I just mean in general.
                            Jared Layman

Comment

I am not talking about this haunt in particular because I know nothing about them, I am just talking in general. Lets say a haunt is very unsafe and could kill someone, do we not say anything because their proceeds go to a charity? Do we privately tell this haunt they aren't safe? Or do we warn people about dangerous situations?

If they are unsafe, we are the LEAST of their concerns. ANY public attraction in almost every state is required to be inspected for both fire hazards, as well as public safety hazards. This is a moot point, and you're fishing for arguments. Move it along.

Comment

Working...
                              X