No announcement yet.

Clean up this business....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sex sells, we all know that, even Halloween horror Niights and Howl-O-Scream use sexy men and women in the event. If your market is little kids then don't use it but if you have a older crowd then by all means go to it.
    Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Hot toppic, not sure what I would do.....but to me Halloween is all about candy, pumpkins, costumes, hauned houses, and scary movies......

Did I say scary movies????? All of us know that all of those slasher movies have sex and nudity in them. Not sure why that is? But to me I think haunts should stick to being scary and not rated adults only.

Here is my two cents, now that I have thought about it while typing. For those who wish to use the term "sex sells" they should keep their naked haunts at a differant location....to me, doing something like this is asking for lots of trouble and it takes JUST ONE BAD INCIDENT to turn the whole haunt industry upside down. Oh here is another thing, DO YOU HAVE A PERMIT FOR THAT? All srtip clubs require a permit, don't they?????

Keep haunted houses fun and safe, and don't incorperate nudity with haunted attractions. I think it makes the industry look bad.

Mr. Haunt

Comment

again, why is it another "Do this because I feel it's right, and i know the industry better than you because i've been open 'X' years"?

I see no reason for it to be so cut and dry. The top grossing horror movies have no gore?...perhaps that is true, I would have to look into it and verify.

But does that mean that there are a lack of people out there that enjoy over the top horror movies?

Hostel, High Tension, Saw....all movies that were violent to the point of cringing and still made money at the theaters.

All I'm getting at is that I understand that there is a family friendly element in the industry...I accept and appreciate it, it is good for everyone.

But for the haunts, owners etc. that are not striving to be a family friendly affair, but are still looking to put on an awesome show, why are they expected to "tone it down for the sake of the industry"?

I'm not just an opinionated teenager. I've been working at and managing houses for going on 18 years, so I have seen the family friendly events and attractions and the over the top elements. Both are equal and appreciated in my eyes and I feel they are both excellent destinations, be it for a night with the family or an "adults only" night at a haunt willing to provide an over the top show.

I just may never understand the reasoning behind condemning those that look to push the envelope strictly because you don't agree.
        In the Shadows...We are Legion

Comment

Octo,
          I respect your opinions. First of all, I do not advertise that I am family friendly, actually I put a pg-12/13, so to speak. But not for all the previously mentioned attributes, but because we actually create the sense of realism that makes one wonder where they are. Far scarier than the other way; and again, far more talent involved with that. For the record, Hostel, Saw etc barely measure in the box office. Here's what I don't get: the "gore" fans typically will come to a non-gore attraction (especially if u r the leader in your market), but the "non-gore" fans will typically not attend the blood-n-guts shows. So why not appeal to the masses?? Once again, look at the movies I referred to...who's banking more??

What I find disturbing is that the over-the-top gore fests are being catergorized as haunted attractions and therfore we get 'stereotyped' into one category. Not so....try this then. Ask a number of people what words come to mind when you say the word "politician". Crooks, thieves, liars, cheats etc etc. Really??? I know plenty of politicians who are good people but fall into the category with the others.

Comment

And I respect yours, believe me, I am fully aware that there is no right or wrong. I understand why those that do not necessarily approve of the shock/gore houses would want to distance themselves from being lumped in.

Thats fine.
            But I feel its unfair to the ones that push the boundaries to try and tell them how to run their show.

It's also not fair to say that because you use little blood that you are better at what you do ie: entertaining an audience. I personally would like a mixture of both the excellent non-vicious scares, actors, theatrics etc. along with a good amount of shock and awe. But those that do shock to an extent are doing well...look at the Hoochie. I don't feel that because you don't use blood and gore that your show is automatically better.

A great actor could take a banana and make it appear threatening. The same actor doused in blood could be threatening as well as horrific. Just because the actor doesn't have the blood on, is he a better actor? because he's less bloody?

I agree with other posters too that maybe it comes down to advertising. A warning in the ad about the outrageous content. But then I wonder if it would be construed as a gimmick or a ploy to seem outrageous instead of taken seriously.

Either way, I have realized its like arguing God vs. Evolution...neither side is going to budge so both sides might as well just go along their seperate ways.

I'm just going to watch the industry and see what unfolds. I guess time will tell.

Comment

For Those That don't Know..

The Ravens Grin Inn in little Mount Careless, Illinoids might end Saturday night with an adult content show, then at 2 O'Clock Sunday afternoon do a small kid's show as Grandpa & Grandma watch and marvel at the personalized attention the kid's receive to calm them and entertain them in ways geared to not terrorize them or give them phobias. We actually make them a part of the show, they get to excite and scare their own family.
              We have no gore or bloody displays here because I myself don't care for it and it is MY House.
              This all works here, for me. Whatever works for "You", works for You.
              There you go!
              But then again, maybe my joke about my 2 foot tall (Short) Greatgrandfather wanting to be the world's foremost gynecologist isn't really considered "extreme" by most people anymore? "Aren't Jewish people offended by that large swaztika?"
              "I don't know, I'll crank up my Oui-Ja board and ask my Greatgrandfather KATZenburger."
              We all have our critics and some critics have never done anything themselves..because this keeps them safe from criticism.
              It is difficult to be entertained or learn anything from really, really safe things.
              For instance, without auto racing we would all be driving cars with a 30mph top speed because we still had steel cable mechanical brakes.
              Yes we would.
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I came here to express my opinion and it's starting a firestorm. The reason for this is not freedom to do what we want it's about the insurgence of depravity into the Haunt business. We can push the envelope all day long here but where does it stop? Eventually something will put the breaks on these haunts, it's inevitable. Art is subjective yes but if we think that our customers have seen it all means going over the top to keep the doors open means one thing and one thing only. This business has seen it's lifecyle. When "artists" resort to the sex button to keep people coming to their attaction it means we've hit the panic button. We've lost our creative way and resorted to a base mentality. Anyone and I mean anyone can take there clothing off, pour blood on them and pretend they love having a knife put to their throat or tease young men. I just saw a photo of a haunt that has a zombie chick with a baby zombie, so do we but this chic has her zombified breast exposed. Gross yes twisted yes inappropriate yes. Guess what? It's on the net and ANYONE can view it. There is no disclaimer. Why does my business have to be associated with this garbage?

History lesson: Does anyone know how all this started and I mean haunted houses? Not the Jay C's but a little theater in Paris called The Grand Guignol or theatre of blood. People were raped, tortured and mutilated there for 60 years. Naturalism theatre in a purist form. That little theater spawned, horror movies, effects industry, horror shows (magic shows will horror illusions) ghost shows and eventually haunted houses. They didn't come into another market's base audience and start to titilate them bit by bit. They created a new genre Theatre of Horror. They didn't mask it they came right out and said this is who we are and this is what we are all about. They didn't go into a childrens theater district and open shop. Nor did they build next to an "adult upper crust opera house." No it was next to the brothels and bars in Paris. It was strangly a converted abandoned church. That's what gave it it's hook. They stole from no one, hid from no one and didn't disguise themselves. They were on the edge and remained at the top of their craft until world war 2.

Now that we know our roots I'd like to point out something. They didn't call their show a haunted house. It was called the theater of blood, the grand guignol, theatre of the grotesque. Just about anything happend on that stage, even nudity. But here is the point of it all, they didn't call it a haunted house.

The way I see it and I know I'm right, it's all about money. You folks in the no holds barred give em what they want camp saw our haunted houses making a lot of money. We were doing fine before you came into OUR WORLD. That's right it's our world you are in now. This is how a lot of nice people have been making a good living on for well over 20 years now. Haunted houses have helped save farmers, occupy abandoned buildings, raise money for charity and even give the kids a healthy activity to do as an actor or patron.

Now you come into our world and we have to appologise for you. You came into our business world and are trying to change how our model of doing business is perceived by the public. You call your business a haunted house just to pull in the cash from our audience. You can use the argument that everyone is jaded so we need to push the envelope more. I'm all for that but not by becoming indecent.

Our industry isn't into what you are serving. All we are asking is that you stop and I mean stop calling yourself a haunted attraction. The pole dancing, strippers and nudity is NOT part of our playbook. Feel free to call yourself something else.

I have a challenge for those of you who feel depravity, nudity, violence to women, sexual fettish rooms, gouls gone wild and zombie lap dancing is what our industry needs. I bet you won't take the challenge but here you go.

Don't call your show a haunted house or haunted anything. Call it something different. If you do that then we are all good here. You can start your own trade organization, have a convention and grow an audience.

All we are saying is that you have mislabled yourself and are not doing anyone any good. In the end if you stay in our industry we all loose. We will become "one of those freaks." The kind of business no one wants in their community. It will kill everyone's business and if you think you will be the last one standing you won't. Those that have stood the test of time and have developed good working relationships with the schools, theatre departments and charities will remain. It's about money yes but you must remember it's also about community.

Everyone and every show has it's place. Shows like yours have a place too. You'll find your place but you can't win by saying you are one thing and being another. A wolf in sheeps clothing is soon exposed.
                Last edited by myhaunting; 10-06-2010, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Right and Wrong?

Originally posted by Octoberalles View Post
                  And I respect yours, believe me, I am fully aware that there is no right or wrong. .
                  Yes there is right and wrong. If there were no right and wrong then why do we have laws? That is the worst argument I've heard yet on this topic.

Comment

Dear Myhaunting,

I find great joy in the fact that you refer to your opinion as the RIGHT one.

And as a matter of fact, just because YOU think there is a right or wrong in this equation, does not make it so.

Do you own the term "haunted attraction?" Didn't think so.

I wonder if the owners of 5 star restaurants get so irate over people calling McDonalds a restaurant as you do about the shock-sters using the term haunted attraction.

I never realized that one guy is the watchdog for the entire industry.

Maybe we should make you a little sheriff's badge and perhaps get you a book so that you can write "decency infraction" tickets for all of those haunts and owners that you dont approve of.

Thank god the world isn't run by egotistical, self righteous, self important people like you. We'd all be sitting home on saturday nights watching Barney and Friends.

I live in a world where people with pseudo-authorative babble mean nothing to me.
                    Don't tell me how to get along fine in "your world".

My world is fine with or without you.

that's the last I'll type on this matter. You seem to always go for the personal digs instead of sticking to the facts. a sign of immaturity and lack of debating skills.

Good Luck with your Haunted Attraction. I hope the Haunted Hoochie Haunted Attraction keeps pushing the boundaries in "your world"

Comment

So, now I guess I am non-creative, depraved, twisted & innapropriate. I guess I can handle the twisted part. It seems like the businesses you want to promote are called "Fun Houses" not haunted houses. "A building or an attraction in an amusement park or a carnival that features various devices intended to surprise, frighten, bewilder, or amuse." Maybe you are just in the wrong line of work.

I think it's ridiculous that I am being told that blood and guts doesn't belong in the haunt business. Are you kidding me. I am not artistic if I use over the top displays that push the boundaries of good taste? My attraction has been known for it's "unconventional" rooms and themes and our intense, in your face approach to haunting.

Real life is often distasteful. We cannot even come close to the true horrors that we see on the news every night. We have had rooms depicting dead babies, monsters eating the family pet, suicide, murder victims in garbage dumpster's and a staged shooting of our customers as the final scare. And yes, "Adult Only Nights." All of these things and many more have been loved by our customers. They ask us for this type of event. They can visit 60 other haunts within a two hour drive for a more friendly show but few others that are not just simple copy cat, cookie cutter family friendly haunts. So, maybe I should stop listening to my customers and take the supposed moral, easy route. Like monsters hiding behind curtains who jump out and say "BOO" or simple drop down windows. Maybe all my actors should be in cheap Don Post masks and black robes.

Now, because I offer this type of attraction as an alternative to the traditional "safe" family event, I should not even be able to call my show a haunted house?

I have a great relationship with my city. They completely understand the type of haunt we operate. They have never voiced any concerns about our content. In fact, we have one inspector who comes through the haunt every year and brings his son. He also came out last year on one of our Adult Nights and loved the show!

I think what is hurting the industry is not haunts that offer some shock value by offering extreme scenes of blood and torture or some minor sexual content. I think what is hurting the industry is the fact that most haunts take the safe route offering the same type of scares and startles. Haunted attractions that copy everything they see from other haunts and place it in their attraction. Haunts that claim they are scary and disappoint their customers every year.

I take serious offense to saying that it is all about money. Obviously, none of us would be in the business if we were not trying to make money weather for charity or personal gain. But, I do not make a fortune from my haunt nor do I need to or want to. I still do this because I love scaring people. I love coming up with creative ways to shock or amuse my customers. I love seeing people come running out the back door screaming "Oh my God that Sh*t was scary" or seeing that wet spot on their pants. I will continue to introduce new ideas and concepts that will cause controversy and get bashed. I guess that's just my way!

There is room for all types of attractions. I applaud any haunt for taking some chances and straying from the crowd. I think the industry needs more haunts that are attempting to go places that are different with their shows. It is not for me to judge them. It's not for you to judge them either. Why not worry about your own haunt? We are not hurting the industry. If anything, we are just giving haunt visitors more options.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
                      Deadly Intentions (Very Inappropriate) Haunted Attraction
                      www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
                      1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Howie, I like the name Deadly Intentions (very inappropriate) Haunted Attraction. It has a certain air of coolness

:mrgreen:

Comment

Why thank you! lol
                          1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

BARNEY AND FRIENDS......ahhhhh, now thats scary! I guess I should tell Ratechel to stop riding the cadver in the autopsy room before she gets a ticket.lol.
                            Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

if it wasn't for tits and ass I would have got out of this business a long time ago , LOL

Comment

Oh my freekin god....... The morality squad has invaded the haunt industry......(rolls eyes)

Comment

Working...
                                X