Can this do the job of a solenoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this do the job of a solenoid?

Im runnin dry and need easier/cheaper alternitives to a solenoid. will this device work? http://www.frightprops.com/pneumatic...ust-valve.html It requires no electricity and my prop can be activated manualy by a valve at the end of the line. I plan using a double action cylinder and the weight of my prop will allow it to go down, Or will it?
    Last edited by Biohazard; 10-06-2010, 01:51 AM.

short answer is probably. it all depends on what you have set up, but I've seen something similar work out well.

I'm not sure how well it will reset with a double action cylinder and gravity, though, I don't know what you've got goin on with the prop. It's always worth trying out, though. Especially if you're mechanically inclined and curious :-)

Comment

Originally posted by farnsworth View Post
      short answer is probably. it all depends on what you have set up, but I've seen something similar work out well.

I'm not sure how well it will reset with a double action cylinder and gravity, though, I don't know what you've got goin on with the prop. It's always worth trying out, though. Especially if you're mechanically inclined and curious :-)
      Im too mechanically inclined and curious for my own good lol... but anyways im making a simple coffin popper, body is going to be lifted to a 90 degree angle.

Comment

I would say no

This valve just releases air quickly, to operate a cylinder you would need a holding tank attached to it.

Comment

Quick exhaust valves will only quickly release air from a cylinder to make it move faster, they can not control the movement. You need a 3 way valve for a single acting cylinder, or a 4 way valve for a double acting cylinder. The manual version of these valves are usually more expensive than the electrically operated versions.

Here is what I use when i want something to be manually controlled and not electric. http://evilusions.com/shop/index.php?cPath=26_38
          Brian Warner
          Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
          Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
          Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Agreed. A manual valve is the way to go. Any configuration with the exhaust valve is only going to allow you to manually release air into the atmosphere - which will drop the pressure on the other side of the exhaust (inside your air system, in other words). They're not made for directing air, which is what you're after.

This could operate your coffin popper but only in a very inefficient and uncontrolled way. I'm hesitant to even mention one of these configurations because it would totally suck. Oh well. Run hose from high pressure (tank) to both sides of the cylinder. Assuming cylinder extension causes the prop to lift, include the exhaust valve on the line running to the top (rod side) of the cylinder. The air flow into the top cylinder should set at much slower than the air flow out of the open exhaust. Now when you exhaust the air from the top side, the pressure differential between the two sides of the cylinder disc will cause the prop to rise. Huge waste of air, must trade speed for power, not easy to control. I'm sorry I mentioned it.

Again, solenoid or manual valves will serve you better and Evilusions is clearly your hook-up. StcValve sells 4-way foot valves, too. Check it out here.

Best of luck.
            Last edited by derekatronic; 10-27-2010, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X