pennhurst worth an 8 hr drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pennhurst worth an 8 hr drive?

Just like the title says is it worth driving 8 hrs one way having to get a hotel and driving back the next day. Has anyone been to it? Is it really THAT GOOD? Iv been to a few haunts this year including the worlds longest haunt that got the wrld record this past august. But nothing great, and my girlfriend is kinda let down because I told her how I go to all these good haunts every year. 2 years ago I went to dead acres/haunted hoochie. And that is hands down the best haunt iv ever went to. Should I just go back there and then try making it to the dent school house. Or make the drive to pennhurst? I wanted to go to the bates motel also but I don't see how I can work it in when there only open till 1030. Should of mentioned from the get go I'm fom cleveland ohio. Thanks chris

Dude, you're in ohio !!!!!!!

the haunt capital of the world !!!!!!! Is it really THAT bad out there? If you check Larry's maps and state by state directory, it looks like OHIO has the most haunts of almost any state. I have not been to Pennhurst, but I would love to go. I only live 45 minutes from there, but I am here at home taking care of a loved one, and cannot leave. It is so tempting !!!! Gas around here is almost $3.00 a gallon again and the pa turnpike tolls are killer. I'm a big supporter of everything Randy Bates does, I have been to the BATES MOTEL, and I can tell you it is the BEST haunt I have been to so far in Pennsylvania. (hayride, haunted house, even the cornmaze is fun!) Do what you gotta do I guess. Wish I had more on Pennhurst for you. I just know it looks kick-ass, and if Randy Bates is running it, it's probably great. Hopefully, others on this forum will advise you. Whatever you do, have fun !!!

Comment

We got the combo ticket for Bates and Pennhurst last Saturday and went to Bates first then made our way to Pennhurst. The lines for Pennhurst were...ahem...insane. Being set among all those abandoned buildings and in the pitch darkness, it was an awesome atmosphere. It took us probably 3 hours to actually get in. The lines were very disorganized too - almost a free for all at some points. That being said it was a very well done haunt. We loved it - enjoyed it more than Bates. I talked to one of the guys that was directing traffic and he says they usually stop letting cars in after 10:30 - we made it just after 10 and I think they may have been cutting it off earlier due to the high amount of traffic. So if you want to do both, you probably can, though it'd probably be cutting it close.

Comment

Who is larry and where is this map?? Also we do have A LOT but I'm not easy to please and been going to haunts every weekend of oct since I was 15. (21 now) and for 20+ bucks a ticket I wwant it to be good. Like I said dead acres/haunted hoochie is the best iv ever been to and its a 2.5 hr drive there... I hear the dent school house is really good and also there is one in brilliant ohio that's good. All the other local ones do nothing for me though. I try pickin top rated ones or something with meaning like the worls longest haunt that actually has the record unlike other houses that just claim "longest haunt in the area" I hope more people chime in

Comment

So they stop letting cars in at 10 or 1030... and then u were inline for 3 hrs. They don't stop letting people in the haunt at 10. So I won't be standing in line and then be like oops too bad were closed see ya later?

Comment

go to hauntworld.com

click on find haunted houses up at the top of the page (where you click on forums) Larry is the guy who runs hauntworld.com, Creepyworld and the Darkness haunted house and the NEW Lemp Brewery Haunt in St. Louis (amongst others, I'm sure) He's the self proclaimed "king of Halloween" !!!! google him, he's had an interesting career in haunting and we can thank HIM and Jim Kelly for this fine website and all it's information and treasures.

Comment

pennhurst open november 6,7, and 8th

probably less crowded then. I think its a good idea some of these haunts stay open after the offical day of halloween. Let people spend their money and get their fill of the haunt season. A win-win for everybody. OR- Friday night early or Sunday might be better for lighter crowds. Anyway, if you go, I hope you enjoy it. That is a long ride, but I can tell, you're a diehard. I drove to the old Spooky World once. It was a 7 hour ride for me, but it was worth every mile and I met Kane Hodder and saw Bobby Boris Pickett sing "The Monster Mash" LIVE that night too. Talk about 3 main events!!! The haunts, Bobby, and Kane all in the same night.... GLAD I WENT ! I still have the memories to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by rockstarbass1 View Post
                So they stop letting cars in at 10 or 1030... and then u were inline for 3 hrs. They don't stop letting people in the haunt at 10. So I won't be standing in line and then be like oops too bad were closed see ya later?
                We got into the actual haunt around 12:45 am, so I assume they let everyone else behind us into the haunt - and there was still a decently long line behind us. I think they are open late (maybe 3?)

Comment

hauntedyardofdoom

that place must be a goldmine!!!! (pennhurst) did they have t-shirts? did they look good? what about that BATES hayride!!!!! best I was ever on.....

Comment

I'd love to check out Pennhurst one of these days.

But I have some other suggestions if you're wanting to stay in Ohio. I'm right on the IN/OH border and have been visiting as much haunted attractions as I can the past several years in preparation for helping start my own this year.

Here's my personal favorites:

1) Dead Acres (obviously)
                    2) Ohio State Reformatory - Mansfield, OH (same prison where Shawshank Redemption was filmed
                    3) Haunted Cave - Lewisburg, OH (Most underrated haunt in Ohio)
                    4) Dent - (Best in Cincinnati hands down)
                    5) Chambers of Horror - Middletown, OH (Nothing too fancy, but old school haunting at its finest. Their actors know how to scare you)

Also, if you're heading to Cincinnati, you might as well head another hour over to Louisville, KY. Haunted Hotel, Baxter Avenue Morgue, and Industrial Nightmare are all top notch attractions. Just north of Louisville is Fear Fair in Seymour, IN which is also extraordinary, especially if you're into classic horror movies.

Comment

I'm kinda iffy on driving 8 hrs and spending all that money on what iv been hearing about pennhurst. Cool location but its in the admin building (not scary) and its there first year. Id love to go to dent. And want to go to dead acres again. And I might end up doing that. Only issue is I have 2 days and ther all so far apart.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck weber View Post
                        that place must be a goldmine!!!! (pennhurst) did they have t-shirts? did they look good? what about that BATES hayride!!!!! best I was ever on.....
                        By the time we got out of the haunt it was really late and it looked like the vendors were gone.

Bates' hayride was great - loved it and they had some really great sets/props there. I was a bit underwhelmed with the other two attractions though. You get good bang for the buck there though.

Comment

I went last week.
                          2 1/2 hour wait, about 20 minutes to go through it. Some people probably waited 4+ hours in line based on how long it was when I got out. I wouldn't have driven 8 hours for it. If you do go, I'd definitely get the VIP tickets, which are $50. Even the VIP had a line, but obviously a much shorter one.

And I'm pretty sure that they had merchandise (hats and shirts) in addition to food and glow sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by rockstarbass1 View Post
                            including the worlds longest haunt that got the wrld record this past august. But nothing great,

Are you referring to factory of terror?

You didn't think it was great?

it was awesome.

Comment

Yes the factory of terror... id rate it a 7.... but I am harsh on raiting.. (id consider dead acres a 9 and that's the best iv ever seen) my girlfriend on the other hand wasn't very impressed. The mirror room at the beginning was for sure cool. I went the first night it was open and got 5 bucks back at the end. She thinks mansfield haunted reformatory/prison is amazing. I haven't been there for a few years but from what I remember it wasn't anything great. But as much as id love to go to pennhurst 8 hr drive for the worlds longest line and shortest haunt doesn't sound too good as of now. I'm not spending 50 bucks for a vip ticket when I'm hearin the haunt isn't that great, and when I have to get a hotel and all. I was going to do the bates motel and pennhurts package for 50 bucks but from the sound of it. I won't make it to pennhurts. Really wish they were open till midnight like the haunts here in ohio!!!!
                              Originally posted by RobfromErie View Post
                              Are you referring to factory of terror?

You didn't think it was great?

it was awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X