Masks or Prosthetics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masks or Prosthetics?

I asked this on the other haunt forum a week or so ago, but this forum feels more like home for me. So I will ask here as well

Ok guys, when you are either attending or operating a haunt...which do you prefer to see or use? Masks or Prosthetics?

This is a question that I find both interresting, and is also sort of like a poll for me to use as a tool to see which would be better for me to use at my future haunt.

The pro's that I have noticed, just working at a haunt last year was that most of the people coming through enjoy the special FX prosthetics moreso than the masks. I wore a prosthetic for my scene last year, and I stood completely still in my scene, so people always thought I was just a prop, when all actuality I was right there! lol I think the prosthetic was realistic/fake (however you want to look at it) enough to trick people.

I cant really figure out which would come cheaper overall. People say make-up teams and prosthetics and such are expensive, but I would figure that quality masks would start racking up in prices as well.

So what are your thoughts?
    Masks
    40.74%
    Prosthetics
    59.26%

I personally always prefer makeup over masks whether it be straight greasepaint or full buildup/prosthetics. However with the advancements in silicone masks...those arent too shabby...but is that considered a mask in the same respect as if you put it against something like a Death Studios or Distortions mask?

thats my thought at least.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
    -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Masks are masks....prosthetics and make-up is prosthetics and make-up. lol

I get what you're saying though. I may do a combo of both.

Comment

I like the moving latex masks that are in two parts so that when you talk the jaw moves. An its getting really hard to find those.. whats up with that. Well any way I'm always running around because I'm hyper as all hell in haunts. So normally in about an hour i will sweat off make up and just say f*** it.
        ~*~How is a raven like a writing desk ?
        ~*~*~There both the perfect tools for picking at the brain.
        ~*~*~*~An my favorite game you ask ?
        ~*~*~*~*~ Raven on the desk of course.

Jessica Ward

Comment

WTF.. really, only 2 people say masks !!! You latex fake skin loving freaks!!

Jessica Ward

Comment

This silly poll won't slow me down on making latex masks. Actually has me trying harder to compete with make up.
            StackerSteve
            LoT 27
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lot-27...060788?ref=sgm

Comment

Hell yea, I'm with you on that!!! You know how many times I have broken out with bad acme because of masks clogging up my pores!!! Never, nada, yet to happen !! Make me cool masks!! I pay top dollar!

Jessica Ward

Comment

(shameless plug)

I have some stuff up on FB. Lot 27 fx. I get inot alot of customizing of my masks. I have to get some of them posted from this year. My other page is Massacred Memories. Some mask stuff on there. Loads of lol's
                StackerSteve
                LoT 27
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lot-27...060788?ref=sgm

Comment

I think both have there place. The main issue to me is safety , i see to many haunted hayrides using regular store bought or non custom mask. This to me is one of the most dangers things you can do , because of loose fit and poor vision. They have there actors running along side of the wagons or jumping into the crowd on the wagon, just not a safe idea. Even in a haunted house it's like wearing blinders, people can come up along side of you and you not see them , they can hit you or you hit them. I think there needs to be a push for a better user friendly mask.

Robert

Comment

We use silicone masks, latex masks, liquid latex, foam latex appliances, latex appliances, grease makeup, air brush makekup etc... We pretty much leave it up to the actor and what they are comfortable with. If they want to use their own costume we make sure it fits in with the theme and their area. Some actors don't want to deal with the makeup and like the ease of a mask. Others don't like masks as they can get hot through the night. Pretty sure we'll continue in this fashion.
                    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it… Autograph your work with excellence!

Comment

I think there are places for both in your haunt a que line actor prosthetic, well light seen in your haunt silicone mask, darker areas latex mask are fine.

Comment

Masks or Prosthetics

I'm still new at this but so far (and I like them all) the really good masks are just as expensive as the Prosthetics. Like the other guy said, I leave to the individual actor. We have a cosmotology school here that actually teaches all of this and the girls/guys going to school there get extra credit for working outside the school so it is not too horribly expensive to hire them.

Comment

I like makeup better because I am fat
                          and Fat people get hot in mask.
                          BLOOD, GUTS AND GORE!
                          www.horrorfields.com

Comment

Wow, it seems that prosthetics are the overwhelming favorite lol.

Comment

A few years back I asked this exact same questions and it was a overwhelming MASKS.... never understood it.
                              personally we have always used as many fX makeup jobs as possible and only used over the head masks for late comers and drop scares.... I think Over the head hi quality latex masks have a place in any haunt on static props, To many times Have I walked thru a haunted house to see some teenager with a latex mask pulled up over his head trying to cool down. This is where foam Latex FX appliances place number one in my book! which is why we developed our line up years ago, but then people wanted cheap over foam, and we started making everything in slip latex form....
                              Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Working...
                              X