Cough Drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cough Drops

Hey everyone, I just finished reading the poll forum about breaks and I wanted to give my $.02 about using cough drops. I'm not sure if this is kosher, and I'm not endorsing a specific product for any other reason than it is the best and safest for actors/singers. I've been acting/directing and teaching theater for over 15 years and every professional voice teacher I know only recommends Ricola for cough drops. Almost every other brand has products that deaden the pain in your throat which leads to more damage to the vocal chords (which are very small and fragile) and will increase the amount of time it takes to regain normal use of your voice. Ricola is all natural and its effect is to increase the amount of mucus generated in your throat to coat your vocal chords in a way that is most similar to the natural mucus in your mouth. This serves to lubricate them - much like using oil to lubrivcate the parts of your car's engine. To be sure my actors used Ricola only I went to the drugstore and bought bags upon bags of it and left them out for them to take at their leisure. I had much happier actors and voices that lasted much longer (especially for those who are untrained in proper vocal technique). I know from lost of experience - stay away from any cough drops that deaden the pain in your throat - you'll be happy you did. BTW our HAUNT finished on saturday and we had over 900 people in 3 nights! A rousing success for us! :0)

There are plenty of brands that do not contain menthol.

Comment

That's what I thought it was - menthol! Thanks Rob! I'm not familiar with other brands - but its good to know that there are alternatives - some of my actors are like "I don't like the taste of those..." So I'll amend my previous post by telling people to be sure their cough drop choices don't include menthol. Thanks Rob!

Comment

Working...
      X