Mr. Haunt and Everyone - Possible solution for Walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Haunt and Everyone - Possible solution for Walls

I was in Virginia Beach last week for a gift show and this guy was using some kind of hardware to put his walls together. I asked him what it was cause I thought of all you guys and gals talking about how to put your walls together. He didnt remember what it was called so he made a few phone calls for me to find out.

The piece is called a roto-lock or a dual lock. It comes in 2 pieces and uses allen keys to tighten it up. He said it brings the walls together nicely for a tight fit. Here are some pics of what it looks like. Hope this helps you all out.

---TheNightMare

How many of these units per/wall would be needed?
    I could see maybe one per joint if there were pegs built in to help hold and aline them.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Here is one site that I found....

Not a bad idea! How could you use them for a 90 degree turn?

Jim- I know, I know, 90 degrees is not a proper temperature for your guests.

Looks like they range in price but cool idea.

http://www.austinhardware.com/dept.asp?dept_id=471

Ryan
      "....Any youth who makes security his main goal, shackles himself at the very start of life's race."
      - Clarence Birdseye

Comment

It says $5.92 each. It looks like it could be kind of strong. I'm not sure why ha had to add extra thickness to the structure unless it was just plywood?

If you had two of these they might not line up just right. A series of pins, even wood dowels or pieces of round stock and some drilled holes at the top and bottom region.

Customers would have to be frisked and cavity searched to prevent them from bringing in allen sets or coffin keys.

The simple screw the things together approach only costs pennies per joint, the metal plate Simpson Strong tie method is $3.36 but this extra $3 per joint might make it pretty freaking quick to set up and tear down. With an air tank on your back and one arm surgically replaced with an air ratchet wrench with an allen soccet and the whole haunt could be on the floor in about 10 minutes. Versus the Simpson strong tie or screws might require 3 minutes per joint.

At $10 per hour thats 50 cents per joint labor up and 50 cents per labor down. Or if it is volunteer labor each joint costs a to ounce swig of a soda which is at 50 cents per soda about 4 cents. Factoring unproductivity for burping and laughing about it we will say 5 cents up and 10 cents down.

The only other thing I can think of is OUCH OUCH CRAP UNDO IT UNDO IT NOW QUICK IM NOT KIDDING OUCH. That's worth another $3 right there.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

These are called "coffin locks". We use coffin locks in theatre to connect platforms and some flats together. They do keep everything VERY sturdy, but can be REALLY expensive. I would suggest 2 locks to connect 2 panels... 4 to connect 3... so on and so on.

But my experience with them has been very good! -Tyler
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

cant use since level ground is not in the vocabulary of Nightmare Park. Will have to stick with the Simpsons and screw them in willy nilly...
            The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

I think the extra plywood pieces make it possible for the screws to not be sticking out the other side of the thin wood, it also gives more strength for the hardware on the thin wood.
              No use having strong metal if the wood it's attached to rips out like wet tissue.
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

The guy was using a beadboard type of wall. So it was thin in some areas and thats why he used extra plywood. He used 2 of these things for each panel he put up. He had a strong booth.

Comment

Look close for the standard lock it's $5.92 for the MALE end, $2.71 for the FEMALE end that's $8.63 or $17.26 a panel. 100 panels in your show...$1,726.00 in hardware, 200 walls...$3,452.00. Knowing how cheap....errrr... frugal haunt guys are you can see why this system hasn't been in wide use!!!

As stated these have been around for years, many have already seen them as they are perfect for the couple walls of a booth that will be assembled a dozen times a year, but becomes cost prohibitive with hundreds of walls for one set up a year.

My fire sprinkler system gave me a similar choice. $60 a connection for 8 connections or glue in a regulator $1.50 connector. It would take 20 years to break even on the connectors alone!!!

A show like Busch, Universal, etc where they have to use paid union help to erect their shows could probably recoup the cost in labor savings alone! The rest of us use screws and brackets!!
                  R&J Productions
                  Las Vegas, NV
                  www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Working...
                  X