Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Review for the Haunted Schoolhouse/Laboratory this year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Review for the Haunted Schoolhouse/Laboratory this year.

I gotta say, that as a whole...I was pretty disappointed in the haunted schoolhouse/laboratory in Akron, Ohio this year. Its not hard to see why they dropped from 8th in the country when I worked there last year to 23rd this year. I felt like there were no actors at all in that haunt and it was just people yelling in my face.

Call me weird, but i'd like to see some acting at a haunt too. As much as I appreciate the startle scares that they try to produce, im just as much into having good acting as well.

I also felt like alot of their actors timing was way off. I know that myself, and a few other key actors werent able to work there this year...so maybe because they're new actors...but this late in the year, they should have their timing down.

- I'm gonna set this up like ohioshaunted.com does when they rate haunts in the tri-state area.

Length- 10 Design-10 Props-10 Acting- 6 Scare Effect- 7

Average: 8.6/10

The positives: The Hauntd Schoolhouse has, and will always have some of the best looking scenes, props, and everything they had is custom made by themselves, so you wont see their props or machines anywhere else. That only makes the special effects in the Laboratory all that more amazing.

Although some actors timing was off, there were a few actors in there that had their timing down great, and did a phenomenal job.

The Length is great as well when you go through both haunts.

The Negatives: The acting was just not up to par with what it was last year. Maybe I hold this haunt to a higher standard than some, but I dont want to pay $22 just for yells...i'd like to see some more acting mixed in.

They really need to help out their actors figure out the timing. That was a big issue I noticed...walked up on several monsters not hiding where they were supposed to, and others coming out way too late.

One actor in particular I thought did a not so good job was their electric chair guy. Instead of him making it looked like he was being electrocuted, he was thrusting his hips into the air making it look like he was doing something totally different...just wasnt a believable electric chair scene...he didnt deliver a good scare when he got up either. Woulda liked to have seen more intensity.

-Overall, this is still a great haunt, and will probably always be one of the tops in the country. I would still recommend this haunt to anyone that has not yet experienced it. There isnt a haunt in this country like it.

This is not a review site by the way.

Also when the crowds are there there is no time for actors trying to act, it's scare them and get them through. It has to be that way or they don't make money and they work longer that night... Acting can be done in early October, too late now it's scare and go time!

DA

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
      This is not a review site by the way.

Also when the crowds are there there is no time for actors trying to act, it's scare them and get them through. It has to be that way or they don't make money and they work longer that night... Acting can be done in early October, too late now it's scare and go time!

DA

Um. I worked at that haunted house last year buddy, so im quite aware of the crowds.

It was a sunday night, and there was no line in front of us when we went through, we made sure of it.

I never stated this was a "review site" I just figured I would pass along what I saw at the haunt to the other members of this forum. Thanks for your insights though.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

DA
        If done right an actor can both act and scare simultaneously, some actors can even scare without dialogue or props at all. While the patron may not have the time to get to know the character on a busy night, being scared by someone in character as opposed to something like a RAHHHHR! is much more impressive and scene setting in my opinion. Just like detailing a set...maybe not everyone will see the cracks you put into a wall, or the turning crank on your jack in the box, but it definitely adds to the ambiance and overall feel, and will impress those that do see it.

Just my thoughts.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
        -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Originally posted by jakprintsHAUNT View Post
          If done right an actor can both act and scare simultaneously, some actors can even scare without dialogue or props at all. While the patron may not have the time to get to know the character on a busy night, being scared by someone in character as opposed to something like a RAHHHHR! is much more impressive and scene setting in my opinion. Just like detailing a set...maybe not everyone will see the cracks you put into a wall, or the turning crank on your jack in the box, but it definitely adds to the ambiance and overall feel, and will impress those that do see it.

Just my thoughts.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
          I couldnt have said it better myself. Thank you!

Comment

my review of hauntworld.com

There was a time when hauntworld was a place where haunters could discuss the trade. Where problems were solved, and dreams were brought to life. I think that Hauntworld.com has done more to grow the industry than any other tool that we have available to us.

It seems that its best days are behind us. More and more, hauntworld.com is becoming a tool for waging personal disputes. I understand that there will always be trashy people who will air out their dirty laundry in public. What I don't understand is why this type of behavior is not immediately corrected. I'm not a big fan of censorship, but there is a time and a place for everything.

Is this the hauntworld that I have known and loved for close to a decade now, or is this an online version of Jerry Springer?

How is it that a former employee of a business can use a tool that is supposed to be of service to that business, in a way that could be destructive to that buisiness? I don't know the school house people, but no one deserves this kind of crap. The people that matter are the paying customers, they vote with their cash, and I have seen some very long lines at the school house. Maybe they had an off year with thier staff., everyone has off years, why is hauntworld be used to bring attention to someones troubles. On the other hand, maybe they had a great staff this year, and a disgruntled employee wants to poke a jab.

I would never begrudge someone of their free speech, but it seems like, if someone wanted to be a haunt reviewer, they would have their own website, build up a following, and the credibility that goes along with it.

Maybe you can't put the genie back in the bottle, when there are more hauntworld members than there are haunted houses, I guess these kinds of things happen.

As a business owner, I think about things before I post. I think about how it reflects upon myself, my business, and the industry.
            Drifting actors have little to lose, and apparently say what ever comes to mind, damn the consequences.

It is quite ironic that there is a thread bitching about rouge review sites, hauntworld could be added to that list.
            Last edited by Mike Goff; 10-27-2010, 08:04 AM.
            www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Goff View Post
              There was a time when hauntworld was a place where haunters could discuss the trade. Where problems were solved, and dreams were brought to life. I think that Hauntworld.com has done more to grow the industry than any other tool that we have available to us.

It seems that its best days are behind us. More and more, hauntworld.com is becoming a tool for waging personal disputes. I understand that there will always be trashy people who will air out their dirty laundry in public. What I don't understand is why this type of behavior is not immediately corrected. I'm not a big fan of censorship, but there is a time and a place for everything.

Is this the hauntworld that I have known and loved for close to a decade now, or is this an online version of Jerry Springer?

How is it that a former employee of a business can use a tool that is supposed to be of service to that business, in a way that could be destructive to that buisiness? I don't know the school house people, but no one deserves this kind of crap. The people that matter are the paying customers, they vote with their cash, and I have seen some very long lines at the school house. Maybe they had an off year with thier staff., everyone has off years, why is hauntworld be used to bring attention to someones troubles. On the other hand, maybe they had a great staff this year, and a disgruntled employee wants to poke a jab.

I would never begrudge someone of their free speech, but it seems like, if someone wanted to be a haunt reviewer, they would have their own website, build up a following, and the credibility that goes along with it.

Maybe you can't put the genie back in the bottle, when there are more hauntworld members than there are haunted houses, I guess these kinds of things happen.

As a business owner, I think about things before I post. I think about how it reflects upon myself, my business, and the industry.
              Drifting actors have little to lose, and apparently say what ever comes to mind, damn the consequences.

It is quite ironic that there is a thread bitching about rouge review sites, hauntworld could be added to that list.

Ok, so you start out by saying that this thread is bad by questioning why people "air out their dirty laundry" and how "trashy people" are coming on here to do it now. Look here sir, that is highly hypocritcal of you, considering you probably just spent 20 minutes typing out that novel for us.

It wasnt my intention to "take jabs" or to stir up trouble or anything of the such. Maybe you misunderstood the premise of my review. And maybe if you read the whole thing, you would have noticed that I also gave high praise on the haunt.

I'm no "disgruntled former employee", considering I had an invite to go back, but couldnt do it due to conflicting work schedules. Dont come at me with your self-righteous B.S. man. I'm not trying to argue on this site.

You also mentioned how "drifting actors" have nothing to lose and how you "think things over" before you post as a respectable industry man? Then what in the wide world of sports was it that you were just typing?

I never proclaimed myself as a high rolling haunted house critic, I simply did the review because I thought it would be fun to do, and I love discussing and dissecting haunted houses. Maybe some people have the integrity to take criticisms, im guessing you dont.

I want to apologize to the moderators, or anyone else I may have offended with this post, or the review...I didnt know it would turn into people becoming offended, its intentions were to discuss and talk about. Obviously it didnt work.

Comment

Working...
              X