asbestos removal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asbestos removal??

anyone know anythign about it? companies wont give me to much info without looking at the location but I havent seen it myself. Is it crazy expensive like mold removal or is it not that big of a deal.

Location has asbestos floor tiles and two rooms of asbestos piping. It is a old high school.

This is for an old location I was looking at but this turned me away because of this issue.

any one else in the same boat??

Pete
    FS
    Fables Studios
    Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
    https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Hey Pete! The problem you're having must be common, the very first haunt I ever volunteered at had an asbestos problem with the piping.

My dads a plumber and pipefitter and he has to deal with this kind of stuff all the time. When he takes out older pipes with asbestos he just wore a breathing mask and such. It doesn't seem to be too much of an issue. Our house had tiles in it (they weren't asbestos) but they were easy to remove when we remodeled. They were old hospital tiles. (long story.)

My moms a real estate agent who's right next to me and she says it has to be removed professionally.

So I guess this is a cruddy reply, I can say from experience that it is easy to remove, but I guess it has to be done professionally. So it shouldn't be too expensive.

...that reply went everywhere. I'm sorry. I'm still kind of new at writing replies on here haha.

Comment

Asbesto worker returned to Mount Carroll

From doing this kind of work in California for 20? years? Lungs shot. They had to operate to remove a sample of lung tissue to prove he really had the problem so he could get some benefits for it.
      I heard once there are two kinds of asbestos, one is much more nasty than the other.
      If asbestos was as hazardous as 60 Minutes made it out to always be my Father should have died before I was concieved, likewise myself.(Pretty funny, huh?)
      My Grandfather would take his family to a customer's basement and they would have an asbestos party! My Grandfather, Grandmother, two daughters and my Dad would play in the white powder as they mixed it with water and smeared the paste , covering a new boiler and pipes. None of them died from lung problems. Grandfather died from stomach cancer (can asbestos cause this? I'm asking?) The rest of them all lived into their 80's, no lung problems.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I've seen studies (actually news reports on the studies) that have shown the best thing you can do is seal it even deeper within the building and leave it alone. Removing it stirs up the dust.

Comment

It wouldnt be anything I would want to tackle by myself. It would be someone you should hire to take care of the problem. Sounds to risky to me. Im sure it would be expensive as well.
          Damon
          Damon Carson

Comment

Interested in this thread as well. *subscribed*

I'm also looking at an old school building (55,000 sq. ft) for a haunt location.
            Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it… Autograph your work with excellence!

Comment

update.

Pro removal can run $5-$30 per sqft. F that. I could have a building up to code built for that price. if you have a 45,000 sqft building (I always guesstamate with the mid pricing) your looking at $675,000 for just the removal. Not worth it at all.
              Fables Studios
              Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
              https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Comment

"Not Worth It"

Maybe that is why a local man bought our old school building for only $3,000?
                It used to be the grade and high school beginning around 1907, added to in 1940 and again 1957, covers a city block, parts of it are 4 stories high, two gymnasiums, huge back parking lot.
                He has sold everything out of it he could, which made him some income but now it just sits falling apart, nobody wants it(Rumor once was that Blackwater was buying it, but their fortunes are on the skids now, last I heard.)
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Asbestos can be really dangerous. There are many different types of Asbestos but you really only need to know if it is friable (crumbles to dust when touched) or not. If it is, please stay away from it for your own good.

Asbestos is like a 1000 little fish hooks that dig into whatever it can. Externally not that big of deal but when it gets to the nice stuff inside watch out.

Best left to an asbestos contractor and it is expensive to remove. Don't even think EPA.
                  John Jordan
                  www.TheAsylumwv.com
                  www.Trans-AlleghenyLunaticAsylum.com

Comment

Working...
                  X