Informal market survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Informal market survey

I am trying to write a business plan and I need up to date market survey results. Unfortunately none exist. I have Kelly Allens book and that references a survey in 1998. However those results would serve to undermine my assertions. I believe we could all benefit from up to date information. If I could get enough responses from this forum, I believe I could satisfy my potential investors. Here is the data I (my investors) are interested in.

1. How many patrons in 2006
    2. Number of actors/employees
    3. Ticket price
    4. Number of days open
    5. Sq footage used for actual attraction
    6. Growth over 2005
    7. Number of years in business

I would really appreciate responses to this post. I will gladly compile the data and report it for everyones consumption.
    Greg Salyers
    Fear Entertainment

It could be a noble and worthy undertaking if a survey could be done, involving a cross section of large, small, profit and charity haunts, add in there the hay rides, the ones in buildings, the ones in malls and while you are at it, it would also be enlightening to have a good cross section of all 50 states represented to some extent.
    Add to this confusion the fact that taking the same ingrediants for a haunted business or a Devil's Food cake, some people just have no talent when it comes to "Cooking" no matter what.
    It is ALL so much experimental, each season, sometimes?
    I have been trying to analyze my own business all the time, trying to figure out the whys and wherefores of this endevour. About the time I begin to think I actually do have something figured out, things seem to change.
    I do customer surveys constantly.
    Last year my October business was down, but my September figures were alot higher than they have ever been?
    We still came out with less money at the end of the season, but the fact that we then needed less help , helped balance it out, somewhat?
    If November's weather is predictable or even pleasant, my business carrys on into November until Turkey day pretty strongly, if the weather turns real cold and/or nasty or unpredictable, forget it, it's over, zero business.
    In the spring, if the weather is nice beginning in the middle of May, then people vacation on schedule and summer business is good. I have seen cold, rainy weather all through May and everyone seems to delay vacations until June or even later.
    Very detailed information would have to be screened and names hidden because if it wasn't like this, someone in your area could use your personal info to help them get into the business and compete directly with you.
    Or some huge/moneied person could sift through personal information and pick out which markets they wanted to invest their next five haunts into. More competition.
    Most will sharpen a knife for you, unless they think it's going to be used to cut them with!
    Good Luck.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I have been looking for some of this info as well, I think the IAHA is going to be working on getting some current data, hopefully soon...

=Joel=
      Heartstoppers
      Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
      www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

I got a PM last night saying IAHA was doing a survey, so I think we will be getting the data soon
        Greg Salyers
        Fear Entertainment

Comment

when i started i spent hrs building a bissiness plan.when i got to the loan officer i asked him he wanted to see it.he said no thats ok we throw those in the garbage anyway.this was at a bank.are you trying to get a loan to buy a location?or do you want a loan to lease and build only?

Comment

Greg, I'm going to try to offer a little help for you in the meantime. Do you have a Family Fun Center nearby the area that you plan to open the haunted attraction? Also, are there movie theatres or any other businesses that provide entertainment to an age group that would match your target audience nearby, perhaps a roller-rink or ice-skating rink, etc.? You might want to start by developing an area specific survey for these businesses and see if they'd be willing to help you out with putting together some data. Also, check with your local Chamber of Commerce to see if they have any market data already and ask them to help you with your project. A lot of chambers conduct market surveys through their websites and they may already have a wealth of information. If your area has a City Advertising and Promotion Commission, or something similar, they can often be a wealth of information as well. You may have already investigated these avenues, but I thought I'd mention them in case you hadn't.

I think the results of the PR campaign by the IAHA last year was posted here on HauntWorld as well. If anyone can help Greg with a link to some of the press and media attention (articles and video) that could also be great information to present to your loan officer.

I wish the industry surveys were something that could happen more quickly, but unfortunately they take time to coordinate and conduct. I hope this helps you out in the meantime. :wink:

Kel
            Chris Riehl
            Sales@spookyfinder.com
            (586)209-6935
            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Is there a way I could get ahold of this when it comes out?

Dennis Moyer

Comment

Well I'll try to help on your specific questions.

1. 1400
                2.10 to 14 dependong on night
                3.$7.00
                5.approx. 3,000
                6.n/a
                7.this will be my second year

One thing you wanna focus on also, is the population around your area. I did so few people last year, because of the very short time I had to put it together, and the nearly-no-money-for-advertising budget I was given.
                My town had about 75,000 plus various small towns nearby- there's probably about 100,000 within a 20 mile radius. This year- with the increase in size and budget, I am anticipating to get about 3000 to 4000 patrons.

I hope this helps in any way.
                Brad Bowen
                Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Working...
                X