Eureka Screams! Apology to Cydney Neil Re: "SCREAM BREA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eureka Screams! Apology to Cydney Neil Re: "SCREAM BREA

After being contacted by Cydney Neil and being made aware of our professional faux-paux. I responded to Cydney with the message below. Following my message to Cydney is her reply back. I asked Cydney's permission to post her response stating that I'd like for people to see that there were no hard feelings on either side and to show how pleasantly Cydney handled this. It's always a pleasure to have a misunderstanding handled with kindness and professionalism and it's just another perfect example of how Cydney continues to raise the bar on just that, professionalism! The entire Eureka Screams!, LLC Fright Team appreciates Cydney's leadership by example!

Kel

Message to Cydney:

Cydney, I can honestly tell you, I had no idea the phrase "Scream Break" was trademarked. Because the name of our business is Eureka Screams!, LLC, we use phrases with the word "scream" whenever and wherever we can. I am currently working diligently to remove all occurrences of the phrase "Scream Break" from our advertising materials. I wish we had realized there was a trademark in place before sending out our many press releases. It honestly never occurred to any of us that this phrase would be trademarked. I had been told a couple of months after we began our marketing campaign that you had used the same phrase, but I honestly wasn't consciously aware that it had ever been used before we began marketing our event as such. When I was told you had used the phrase, I was also informed that you were closing your event and told you probably would have no problem with the same phrase being used by us, since your were closing and we were in a completely different part of the country.

At any rate, I apologize for the misunderstanding and I have already contacted our webmaster to request that any and all occurrences of the phrase "Scream Break" be removed from our website. I have also already personally gone through our Myspace blogs and removed all occurrences of the phrase as well. In addition to this, I have contacted the radio stations we are advertising with and requested they cease using the phrase "Scream Break" in the radio promotions. Because I have utilized the online forums, HauntedAttraction.com and HauntWorld.com to discuss our Spring Break event, I'll be happy to post a formal apology and address this misunderstanding on these forums for further clarification if you desire.

Thanks again for the excellent seminar at TW in Chicago and for the outstanding materials you presented.

Sincerely,

Kelly
    Reply from Cydney Neil...

Kelly,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and immediate response to this. I appreciate it and would very much appreciate a post on the haunt sites as I don't want anyone else to try to use it either.

Yes, I am closing my show but I have created some valuable names and events surrounding mine through the years and want to retain ownership of them for now.

Best of luck with your event. It was a tremendous success for us and I only wish I would have thought of doing it years before. I am certain it is only a matter of time until many of the haunters follow suit.

Thank you again, and if you haven't been out to my show, please make a point if it before its gone.

Cydney Neil
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

good to see certain people can handle missunderstandsing like this profesionaly and not just slapping lawsuit treats on each other...

Good job to both sides!

Sean
    Sean De Wane
    ----------------------------------------------
    The De Wane Asylum
    www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

KUDOS for handling this like ADULTS!!!!!!!!!
      Now Kelly I have the ultimate solution to your problem, and for this little zinger I will only charge you 49.95 payable in four monthly payments!
      Turn your event into a SCREAM BREAKFAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yes the first ever in the haunt industry!!!!!!! woohhooooo whos ready for some Hotcakes!!! see now all you have to do is spraypaint or photoshop FAST to the end of your banners!!!!!!! CRAP I better do a TM pending on this name or else im out my 49.95

Seriously though, Its nice to see people being civil, no name calling, no rock throwing,no calling BBE to take out the competition!
      Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Here are some name ideas that you might be able to use

Scream into Spring

Spring into Scream

Scream Cleaning

Spring Screaming

And for those fans of Mel Brook's "The Producers"...

-Screamtime for Kelly and Racliff Manor!
        www.HauntGraphics.com

Comment

First, I love how professional everyone is.

Second how about:

"Eureka Screams Break!"

"The Original Haunt Industry, Halloween and Horror Podcast"
          http://rfrpodcast.com

COSTUMES FOR KIDS
          "Bringing Halloween to Disabled and Less Fortunate Children"
          http://www.costumesforkids.net

Comment

That was VERY professionally handled and I'm glad that there were no hard feelings by everyone involved!

BodyBagging has a good name change suggestion, but how about taking it a bit further.... SCREAM BREAKFEST (with an "e" instead of an "a")?
            The Haunter's Depot
            www.HauntersDepot.com

The Haunter's Depot -- You Can Scare Them! We Can Help! (A division of Haunted Ventures FX.) We are your premier source for Halloween merchandise. Thousands of products available including costumes, masks, static and animated props, changing portraits, makeup supplies, special visual and audio effect equipment, glow necklaces, lightsticks, and MUCH more!

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the awesome messages everyone! Have I ever told you all that I love you! :wink: Great ideas on the new approach to the Spring Break concept! I've been so busy trying to undo that I hadn't had time to think about a replacement. Our favorite is EUREKA SCREAMS BREAK! That's a perfect play on our name Eureka Screams! We love all the ideas though. What creative minds!!! We're a twisted lot! :twisted:

Kel
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Then a large sign with a Eureka Vacuum cleaner up on it's hind legs screaming because it's broke.("break")
                The vacuum hose could be whipping around sticking out of it like a snake.
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Eureka Screams! Presents: GIRLS GONE SCREAMING!!!

Thank me later... :wink: -Tyler
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Well Kelly it's unfortunate to see that your not able to use that name, but it's good to see that this didn't go in a sour direction.
                    I'll be there this weekend! I cant wait!!

BTW- I sent you a PM not too long ago, about this weekend- did you ever gt it?
                    Brad Bowen
                    Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                    www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Damn, does that mean that I can't have an "Ice Scream Break" anymore.

Comment

Sorry about that, Honey. A true bummer.

I just sent out a "cease and desist" letter drawn up by our attorney. A haunt about 1 1/2 hours away is using our name but has flipped it. We are The Scream Extreme and they are using The Extreme Scream. It has caused a bit of confusion and since we are trademarked on the state level as well as pending Federal, hopefully they will comply without too much of a hassle.

Again, sorry about that. I know it's causing you extra work, but you're doing the right thing.

Comment

Always good to get your protection in a row. Just got my ok for my own trademark of Nightmare Park. Not too flippable there....
                          The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

I am not sure any of this makes sense.

Being in different markets in different parts of the country I am not sure a trademark would apply to another haunt. Plus, the words are too general and commonly used to not assume someone else would not put them together. Scream Break is a neat idea but is it really worth a trademark? I just don't see it, sorry folks.

Comment

Working...
                            X