Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a great screw!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share something I found earlier in the year, and worked like a champ for screwing together all our walls and bracing.

First off I hate regular Philips head screws, they strip, break, get lost in the wood if driven too deep, next to impossible to find if painted over, etc... So I was on a quest to find a replacement, and I found a great one!

http://www.fastenmaster.com/Files/Fa...adLok%20SS.pdf

It's called the Headlock, by FastenMaster. Built in washer so it won't sink into wood, some kind of tefelon coating so they fly right in, very cool 'spider' drive head that doesn't strip out, oversided head so it's easy to find even if painted over. Totally re-useable as well The truly worked like a charm!

Now they are a little more expensive, I think it was around $200 for a box of 500, but so worth it! Putting up and taking down our walls this year was a dream compared to years past.

Here in California they sell them at Meek's Hardware, Home Depot and Lowe's sells other FastenMaster products but not that one for some reason.

Hope this helps anyone who looks into it.

-Joel-
    Heartstoppers
    Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
    www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

A little extra money is well worth time amd effort any day.

The spline drive is nice. It's a strong pattern.

I am impressed at the shear ratings being higher than 3/8" lag screws. I will have to pick up a box to check them out.
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Nice find Joel,
      thanks for sharing, I will check them out.
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I have screwed alot!

The local hardware store began selling gold colored screws made in Canada that had Torqs drive and incredibly sharp points, with a teflon coating. they were demonstrated at a trade show by a 12 yr. old boy using a 12 volt battery drill could bury their largest , thickest screw into a log with almost no effort. (A huge sized screw probably nobody would ever use, commonly)
        Then the supplier was changed, screws that at first glance looked the same but the points were much duller without the extra cut on the point and sometimes they would be brittle and they didnot work well during a second or third use.
        They come in quite a variety of lengths and thicknesses. The thinnest is great for fragile assembling of thin pieces of wood.
        Menard's sells most of their such screws with a #25 Torqs head, other places sell you screws with anything from a 20 to 25 head which can make for extra work and frustration. The 20 size will turn the 25 hole OK, usually depending upon the wood thickness , ex cetra.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
          The local hardware store began selling gold colored screws made in Canada that had Torqs drive and incredibly sharp points, with a teflon coating....
          Then the supplier was changed, screws that at first glance looked the same but the points were much duller without the extra cut on the point and sometimes they would be brittle and they didnot work well during a second or third use....
          They moved production to China, I'll bet.

Steve
          Lights Alive
          Www.lights-alive.com
          Steve Peterka
          Lights Alive
          www.lights-alive.com

Comment

We've been using a multi-bit (square, torx, or phillips) drive deck screw for the past couple years that work great for assembly and tear down, but many get damaged so I don't re-use them from year to year.

Thanks for the info!
            Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it… Autograph your work with excellence!

Comment

Oh, and Impact drills, I love impact drills now! I have a couple, and are replacing all my regular drills with them. My crew knows not to take my favorite little Dewalt impact!

-Joel-
              Heartstoppers
              Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
              www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

I just replaced my stolen dewalt set with a new one that included the impact driver. I will never run screws with a cordless drill again! That 18v impact driver is awesome.
                Brian Warner
                Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
                Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
                Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Does "Impact"

Impact in reverse to remove the screw? I wouldn't think so.
                  Like an orgasim in reverse! Put chains on those snow tires next time!
                  Learn to "Drive".
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Yes you can use the impact to remove the screws. I am a G.C. and Impact drills are the best new product in the last 10 years. I have 4 dewalt 18v Impacts, If you are using anything else (impact) you are wasting your time.

Comment

Impact-Screwer!!

That must be why I have seen so many stores bargain-pricing dual sets a 18 volt drill plus an impact driver, in one box.
                      ("Alot of people must be changing tires these days?")
                      NO.
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Great post! having a tighter thread I bet they drive straighter as well with an 18v drill. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                        X