What problems do your actors encounter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NightmareAftershockLLC View Post
    You misinterpreted the statement. We're talking about SAFETY. If a 6'2 225 pound man is shitfaced, somehow made it through the line, and is now looking to start a fight? Your 90 pound ass is about to get thrown around and beat. Whereas my 260 pound 6'3" frame might not even be considered to mess with by the drunk.
    Actually, I am often used for breaking up situations involving problem customers because I do not come across as another large aggressive man that will just add fuel to the fire and cause a bigger reaction. I love dealing with drunk or problematic customers because I can easily diffuse the problem without any violence occurring. I think your latest comment came off as incredibly crass and sexist.
    Katie Lane
    Partner/VP
    Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
    sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

How you interpret it is on you, not me. I'm simply stating, a small girl is NOT intimidating. Period. Sorry you took offense to a seemingly harmless statement.

Comment

To get back on topic, another issue I've noticed in MANY haunts that i have visited is that they try only ONCE to scare or startle a group. We all know how on a busy night there may be 20-30 people in a huge line, so startling, resetting, and then doing it again is important to maximize the patron's experience. It sucks being in the back and never being scared, because you walk by the actors resetting for the next group, instead of for the rest of YOUR group.

Comment

I know several of our actors complained of being mocked. I've noticed that new actors tend to have "thin skin" when people wanna be jerks about their scare. They eventually began to understand that not everyone will be scared, but you can still be entertaining (as keegan stated) and sometime that means mocking back. Although, this can sometimes present a problem if an actor is inexperienced and doesn't know how to read the group. We try to teach them to never mock those drunks for the very reasons stated above. But if they're just some teens trying to show off, there's not harm in being a little "testy".

It seems to always come back to that, doesn't it. It's so very important, yet so hard to teach properly. You could spend days going over scenarios and still not cover everything that COULD happen. Many of our actors began handling situations better, the longer they stayed in their room/became more confident with their position.

We also had a few instances where someone brought through a light or noise maker. We began teaching them how to tell them to "turn it off" without breaking character. We find it helps if you give them a line to use if it happens. something that fits the scene, so they don't have to make it up on the fly. Improv Acting isn't a skill everyone possesses unfortunately.
          sigpic
          Catie Mahfouz
          Blood Ink Writing Service
          www.hauntwriter.com

Comment

Working...
          X