Inspection!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspection!

Please keep your fingers crossed for us and send out positive thoughts and good energy. We have the Building Inspector and the Fire Marshall coming out on Wednesday to conduct a final inspection! :shock: Talking about down to the wire! We have until then to get the rest of our checklist completed and it's still a page and a half! We have our Orientation and Safety Training on Wednesday evening. I just finished with interviews today, 6 more interviews. We've just about got a complete Fright Team, but we still need a few more people for security. I'm locked into the inn for the holiday weekend with a full house, which means that Tuesday is D-Day for completing everything. I have a feeling it's going to be a long day and night on Tuesday! We'll push through Wednesday with the inspection (fingers crossed) and then the following Wednesday we have our first official Dress Rehearsal of the season! :twisted:

Kel
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Sending positive vibes your way, Kel! Best of luck! A lot of us aren't too far behind you in having inspections! Be sure to let us know how it goes, and have a great holiday weekend at the Inn!
    www.mindseizure.com
    www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

Inspections? Already? Are you guys about to open? Around here we have to get all 4 of our inspections like 2-3 days before opening. Well, Good luck!

Comment

POSITIVE THOUGHTS TO YOU KEL.

Comment

Kel, let us know some of the things that the Fire Marshall and the Building Inspector took a interest in. I know that they are looking for code violations but, everyone has their pet peves. I think knowing some of them helps, It can't hurt. Good luck, I'm sure you will have no problem.
          Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it! I know they're primarily interested in seeing that we have a minimum of 36" clearing all the way through the haunt; they are interested in the location of the Emergency Exits and seeing them clearly marked; they are interested in the electrical (how many outlets, the power being pulled on each, the number of things plugged into each outlet, the chords all being overhead and out of the way of patrons; they want to see fire extinguishers at each Emergency Exit, they will be inspecting the egress and the access points to the egress, as well as the distance to the perimeter exits; they are also going to verify that we have lighted emergency exits with battery backups. They've already tested the sprinkler system and the pull stations. I'm sure there are a number of other things they'll be specifically looking for, but these are the items that immediately come to mind...

Kel
            Chris Riehl
            Sales@spookyfinder.com
            (586)209-6935
            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Good Luck Kelly!
              "To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

uh-o i have no sprinkler system in our new warehouse.what building inspector are you speaking of?we just baught a warehouse and started building.i thought if the inner walls are temp.you dnt need to get a building permit.

Comment

You may be in for a rude awakening my friend. In most jurisdictions, any building that is over 1000 sq ft that will be use as an assembly occupancy must have a sprinkler system installed. A haunt is considered an assembly occupancy and it does not matter what the building was used for before you purchased it. You will need to obtain a certificate of occupancy before you can open the doors to the public.

As far as permits are concerned you may not need a building permit to build your maze, but all electrical work will need to be performed by a licsensed electrician and will have to be inspected and approved by a building/electrical inspector. Of course, this requires a permit to be pulled by the electrician. Also, your venue will have to be inspected by the local fire marshall/inspector to make sure the appropriate fire safety systems i.e. sprinklers, emergency exits, emergency lighting are in place. Your liability insurance carrier will require proof that you have passed a fire safety inspection. Inspections and signoffs will be required to get your certificate of occupancy.

In my area, I did not need a permit to build my maze. The building inspector will come through and make sure the maze is safe for patrons.
                  Kevin
                  MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

We had to have electrical work done and the city required it to be done by a "Master Electrician". We had to provide bluepronts of the haunt with an indication of each outlet and the specifics of what would be plugged into each outlet, including the wattage/voltage of each light, prop, speaker, fog machine, etc. We had to have an initial inspection by the Building Inspector to get approval to go ahead with the electrical installation. Before we could start assembling the walls, we had to present a blueprint to the Fire Marshall and get the construction approved. We even had to get a permit to have the billboard painted in front of the attraction. The electrician was required to be licensed in the state of Arkansas and to have a Eureka Springs business license. Not all cities require a local business license, but it's up to the city. The electrician also had to obtain a permit from the Building Inspector to do the work. We had a second inspection after we had all the walls up and we'll be having our final inspection on Wednesday with everything pretty much operational. Of course, we'll still have a lot of tweaks to make on the props and sets, but nothing that would be a concern to the city safety officials.

Of course, I think our situation is worse possible case scenario (I like to think best case scenario because I'm a safety freak these days!), but hopefully this will help to give you an idea of some of the requirements you may face. Best of luck to you!

Kel
                    Chris Riehl
                    Sales@spookyfinder.com
                    (586)209-6935
                    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Originally posted by wipp
                      uh-o i have no sprinkler system in our new warehouse.what building inspector are you speaking of?we just baught a warehouse and started building.i thought if the inner walls are temp.you dnt need to get a building permit.
                      Oh my...

Contact your Fire Marshal before you build anything more and see what alternatives he might offer. You want him involved as soon as possible and you need to convince him that safety is your number one concern.
                      "To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Sending all my good vibes your way, Kel.
                        May you pass with flying colors and then some!

Comment

Kel talk about jumping through electrical nightmare hoops ! They don't even make normal business buildings people go to that level of what is plugged into each outlet etc. The closest I have seen to that is at a hospital. Best of luck sounds like you have complied with all their stuff and you will get your haunt passed.

Comment

Well, we made it! We passed our final inspection by the Building Inspecter and Fire Marshall yesterday. We also had our Fright Team Safety Training and Orientation and then the entire cast and crew went out to dinner and had a great time. I was walking on cloud 9 last night, but I have to say, I'm saddened today by the news from Ron (XXXDirk) that he had the rug pulled out from under him. Ron and I started our haunts at the same time and this would be year three for both of us. We've electronically shared the journey together. Please send out positive thoughts, good energy and prayers that a miracle will take place for Ron and things will turn for the better, enabling him to still operate his attraction this year. I've gotten to know Ron and I can tell you that he definitely deserves the best! The Eureka Screams! team is rootin for ya Ron!

Kel
                            Chris Riehl
                            Sales@spookyfinder.com
                            (586)209-6935
                            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS, SWEETHEART!

I am soooo happy for you! But, I never doubted your passing for a minute.

I called our awesome fire marshall from last season on Tuesday to find out if he would be the one inspecting us this year. He said yes and included, "I'm looking forward to it." YIPPEE! They can make or break us. Like what Ron is going through. Oh, my heart goes out to him! :cry:

Comment

Working...
                              X