Transworld seminars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nightgore View Post
    COSTUMING (finding, design, distressing and care) and SCARE TECHNIQUE!!! ...and not just actor scare technique, but what can we as haunt owners think of, design or build to go along with this!
    Has my vote...
    Ken L.

http://www.thedreamsofdarkness.com

Comment

Set design

I think it was said, but a class teaching how to design a scene with the actor in mind.
      I have seen several awesome scenes, but they forget to design the actor into the scene too!
      Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Originally posted by RJ Productions View Post

Photography: Face it, minimum of 90% of the haunts out there have photos that suck (mine included). A class on utilizing digital photography form the best effect. Photos are either too lit and they show off too much or they are too dark and show nothing!!! A class that utilizes standard digital cameras to the greatest effect would be awesome!! We should all create our own press packs with staged photos. Have you ever had a newspaper guy get a good photo??? Better photos posted on the web site and in the media can mean more customers.!!
        I'm so with you on this. I want to see a class teaching me a good trick or two about photography. I know 3 professional photographers and one still in collage so she can say she is professional. I have to depend on the one thats still in collage to take my photos because she is the only one of the group that can take a picture in low lighting. She is also the only one now that can add her own low lighting by just using a flashlight and a manila envelope.

As for marking, I am now interested in viral marketing campaigns in isolated areas. Do you think this could be tied on ? Our two best forms of marketing in this business are the internet and word of mouth.. would viral marketing work in this industry ? Has any one ever tried it ? I brainstormed on this topic today and I really want to know more.

Also on marketing I'm interested in merchandising, I would like to see something that shows us advertise better on topic . An I want some one to show me a good way to do it and a cheep wayto do it, not just wahm bam, thanks for the show.I want to see Some one wearing our haunted apparel and logos means that person is now a walking advertisement. I want to know what other haunted houses sell as merchandise, what sells the most (other than tickets). What are they shocked sells ? Whats the stupidest thing that sells ?
        ~*~How is a raven like a writing desk ?
        ~*~*~There both the perfect tools for picking at the brain.
        ~*~*~*~An my favorite game you ask ?
        ~*~*~*~*~ Raven on the desk of course.

Jessica Ward

Comment

Chromadepth

Originally posted by KeithK View Post
          Maybe something on black light/chromadepth techniques?
          I would really like this.
          Lucas Cox
          Cox Farms
          www.Fieldsoffear.com

Comment

If the costuming class is not offered at TW, there's always a very good one at MHC, at least the last 2 years, on how to distress costumes, materials to use, etc... On the make up end, Killer Katie has a great make-up class at MHC, don't know if she's doing it this year. I am in no way affiliated with MHC, however, their classes/sessions are heavily geared towards actors/acting/costumes, etc... and well worth the time and money and I suggest attending this convention. I know that HC has had air brush seminars in the past also. Remember, unless it changes this year, At HC and MHC you pay 1 price and attend any of the classes you want over a 2-3 day period, at TW, you pay $50+ per class.
            Last edited by Dr Spooktakular; 12-14-2010, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Spooktakular View Post
              If the costuming class is not offered at TW, there's always a very good one at MHC, at least the last 2 years, on how to distress costumes, materials to use, etc... On the make up end, Killer Katie has a great make-up class at MHC, don't know if she's doing it this year. I am in no way affiliated with MHC, however, their classes/sessions are heavily geared towards actors/acting/costumes, etc... and well worth the time and money and I suggest attending this convention.
              Thanks for the compliments on my costuming class. I will be teaching Undressing Distressing again at MHC this year.
              Katie Lane
              Partner/VP
              Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
              sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

Throughput - the overlooked issue

Always seems that smooth throughput is on the bottom of the list. After 20 years of pro-haunting I finally am happy with a system! Every 30 seconds equals 10 patrons - and no queque line! All haunts are different so no one system works for everyone, so a seminar on how to handle the large numbers we all hope for would be of value. Tied maybe to ticket sales methods and techniques for handling waiting lines if you have them. I personally was glad to see ours go - vendor sales went WAY up since folks could wander while they waited and no patron "tension" problems. We switched to a posted number system by patron group - sort of a "fast pass" idea - and it turned out to be flawless! I've heard of one other haunt that uses a similar system with like results.

www.xscreamhalloween.com

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Katie View Post
                  I think it was said, but a class teaching how to design a scene with the actor in mind.
                  I have seen several awesome scenes, but they forget to design the actor into the scene too!
                  I agree...guilty myself.
                  http://darkscares.com/

sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

@Darkscares... for SHAME!!! LOL!!
                    Spooktacular - Thanks for the big compliment! I was going to see if a makeup class would be beneficial at Transworld as well as MHC, but doesn't seem to be a call for it so far.
                    Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Originally posted by darkXmoon View Post
                      Also on marketing I'm interested in merchandising, I would like to see something that shows us advertise better on topic . An I want some one to show me a good way to do it and a cheep wayto do it, not just wahm bam, thanks for the show.I want to see Some one wearing our haunted apparel and logos means that person is now a walking advertisement. I want to know what other haunted houses sell as merchandise, what sells the most (other than tickets). What are they shocked sells ? Whats the stupidest thing that sells ?
                      So what you are saying, is you want Ben to do a seminar on how well he does selling Netherworld thongs?
                      sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Originally posted by xscreamhalloween View Post
                        Always seems that smooth throughput is on the bottom of the list. After 20 years of pro-haunting I finally am happy with a system! Every 30 seconds equals 10 patrons - and no queque line! All haunts are different so no one system works for everyone, so a seminar on how to handle the large numbers we all hope for would be of value. Tied maybe to ticket sales methods and techniques for handling waiting lines if you have them. I personally was glad to see ours go - vendor sales went WAY up since folks could wander while they waited and no patron "tension" problems. We switched to a posted number system by patron group - sort of a "fast pass" idea - and it turned out to be flawless! I've heard of one other haunt that uses a similar system with like results.

www.xscreamhalloween.com
                        Xscreamhalloween - I am very interested in hearing more about this. Care to elaborate?
                        Patrick Barberry
                        www.legendsofthefog.com
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RJ Productions View Post
                          I'd have to second two of Patrick's choices: Lighting and Photography. These are two subjects that novices and veterans alike can benefit from!!

Lighting: as the industry moves towards LED lighting, how to best utilize the new fixtures would be good. Also presenting different lighting techniques for different effects.

Photography: Face it, minimum of 90% of the haunts out there have photos that suck (mine included). A class on utilizing digital photography form the best effect. Photos are either too lit and they show off too much or they are too dark and show nothing!!! A class that utilizes standard digital cameras to the greatest effect would be awesome!! We should all create our own press packs with staged photos. Have you ever had a newspaper guy get a good photo??? Better photos posted on the web site and in the media can mean more customers.!!
                          This will be my first year going to the conv. And would love to go to a class about this.
                          http://bradentonhauntedtrail.com

P.S. HauntOverload always has awsome pics they would be great for the class

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedMemphis View Post
                            So what you are saying, is you want Ben to do a seminar on how well he does selling Netherworld thongs?
                            I really hope your kidding but geez I can see being a big seller... Cheep thongs with cute little logos...

While I'm on this thread I know a marketing tool I want to see taught and stressed !! We represent the second biggest money making holiday and yet a lot of haunts today fear competition. Competition in this business is not some thing that should be feared but embraced and welcomed. If we didn't have it we would all just be lazy and have no reason to better our haunts when you think about it. In the end though I would like to see some one teaching about haunted houses working together and actually doing better then ever in profits with the right marketing.

An this post is not directed at any one in practicular (Big Guy I know your reading this). I think we have had two septate postings on the forums concerning this topic I believe and that was two to many. I had one of my good friends even e-mail me with WHAT DO I DO!!! There opening up not even 5 miles away from me !! An my favorite was some one talking about becoming some ones competition and how much fear they have because they were going against a much bigger haunt. She is actually reconsidering even pursuing her dreams of opening a haunt because she thinks they will run her off.

Jessica Ward

Comment

speed seminar - DarkXMoon

DarkxMoon, you will get your wish for a co-op speed seminar called "Scared of your Haunt Neighbors" (or something like that) on Wed. Ben has asked me to do one on some stuff we have done in the past. I updated a previous program and have it done and ready to go already.

Now you just need to be there on Wed.
                              Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                              Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JamBam View Post

Now you just need to be there on Wed.
                                Jim trust me when I say I'm trying to move things around so I can go. Even though I'm not a haunt owner I'm studying to be an art director one day. Its important for us to understand what is going on with our bosses money. Should't art directors and set / prop designers like me be educated to help our bosses be creative in this field also ?

I'm trying to find some one to go with me to the convention because I'm not looking forward to driving the distance alone for a nice whopping 10 hours. My Dysautonomia is also looking like its going to slow me down because my medical testing will be taking place around the same time.

Trust me when I say this though.. If I find out four names are not in that room they better have damn good reasons. Wow that made me sound a little bit scary...but if I wanted to watch adults plan and plot on how to ruin there competitors crap I would just work in the Christmas industry because those people are crazy.
                                Last edited by darkXmoon; 12-15-2010, 10:19 AM.

Jessica Ward

Comment

Working...
                                X