Strange Looks? Tell Us About Them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Looks? Tell Us About Them.

Reading the "Introduce Yourself posts, where" strange looks from the others seeing you in a Salvation Army Store buying wierd stuff", got me thinking about the "looks" I have gotten from ordinary people because of me doing something in connection with this business???
    The first one popping into my mind was a similair experience at a church-run second-hand outlet.
    I have several female manniquins and entertained the idea of getting a cheap, old wedding dress for one of them.
    As I am looking at a wedding dress displayed on a mannquin, I look up and the one elderly woman working there was 10 feet away from me looking through and around some other items , staring a hole right through me! Evil rippling across her entire face!?
    I smiled and tried to seem normal, friendly, whatever? But she just kept this nastiness up (It became her mission in life?) I finally walked out without buying anything. Whew!
    (Of course if I could have hired her to just look at people in my house...)
    I got the distinct feeling that she would have not allowd me to explain my intended uses or plans for that wedding dress.
    What she was thinking or what possible negative experiences that she might have had in her life to make her like this, I don't know? But I was not going to be her next experience in any way.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

:shock: That was a close one Jim! I think I might have looked at you funny to :? . Maybe next time you should bring a female friend, just so you don't stand out. You know some costume sellers I believe sell what you are looking for. Try www.hauntedmagazine.com. I think that they have one or two to choose from.

Comment

I've gotten the "evil eye" from church ladies at their rummage sales. I figure I gave them plenty to gossip about that afternoon with my sequin dress purchase.

Comment

hey jim ive gone wedding dress shoping also at a thrift store lol.it was very awkward.no more so than going to the drug store at that time of the month for the wife,if you know what i mean

Comment

Just be sure that you stay out of those two store's fitting rooms and everything will be forgiven.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

mine was also at the Salvation Army, were i can hell... i mean work,

a group of teeneagers came in the store and i quickly recoginized one of the girls from the house the night before. As they talked to my cashier i got closer when i heard they were talking about the haunted house they went to and the girl started in talking about a scary frickin clown that chased her back out the door and into the parking lot. My cashier knew i worked at the house they were talking about and never said a word that i was behind them.

When the girl said that she would never forget the laugh of that clown... i laughed just loud enough for her to hear me, when she screamed and bolted. When her friends turned to see me, i said "all i said was excuse me"
            Del Bunch
            www.TheRoadtoFear.com
            www.MySpace.com/IamFunnyBones

Comment

HA!!! I was at my storage room place a few weeks ago, and just happened to pass by the dumpster and noticed it hadnt been emptied yet. And there just happened to be a few nice little old nick-nacks sitting out in front of the overflow.
              So I look around, no one to be found, pick up those little nick-nacks, and notice even more great stuff INSIDE the dirty dumpster. Look around again- no one around, so I dive in- half my body hanging out. I'm not in there but for 20 seconds max!!
              I jump out, satisfied with what I just found, and look up to see 2 old people stopped in their truck, looking at me like I was the devil!! I was awe-struck, and couldnt do anything but wave and smile at them. They didnt move at all and didnt make any facial expression! Eventually they left, and that was that.
              About 2 hours later, I stop by a Burger King to get something to eat, and guess who I see!! They never took their eyes off me pretty much the whole time. I made sure I washed my hands just to show off, but that didnt change anything for them.

I hope I never see those people again.
              Brad Bowen
              Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
              www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Looks and comments

Hey Jim, good topic!

Besides looks, how about rude comments from neighbors and car wrecks from people not paying attention on the road?

This past year, I had to ask one of my neighbors to remove thy self from my property as I thought I was for sure going to be burned at the stake right there in my driveway. Our pleasant conversation then shifted to the history of Halloween and how she needed to maybe check her facts a little further. Long story short.... she was not on my list of neighbors who got the free snow blower treatment during our Denver blizzards. I think the saying is.... do unto others as done unto you or something like that. Oh well, her little grand children would spend all day over visiting me and not Grandma.

When I was growing up doing the yard haunt, it never failed we would have people run right into the rear end of the line of cars in front of them. Now those are the kind of stares you got to love. Those are the fun ones. Heck, it even got the cops to come out and they love the festivities and we had free security

Staring is a bad habit and so is picking your nose. One is controllable and taught

one just helps keep things running clean and makes for great glue!

Ask Sheldon, he knows.
                Mooo or Booo, what ever suits your fancy

Comment

This reminds me of another time I was living on rt.78 which runs right through the middle of this towm. I had made a huge skeleton and put it looking out an upstairs window, leaning out, holding the wooden shutters open.
                  No car wrecks that I know of but several close calls.
                  I did see some people take a left turn at the end of that block, which puts them going the wrong way on a one-way street!
                  (or I inspired them to quickly seek out the two churches up that one way street?)
                  then there was the time my oldest son was video taping me walking down the street at 2am wearing a magic witch costume. It was "magic" because I could create the illusion that I was holding both my legs out and up at the same time. "Floating".
                  A new Mercedes cruised passed with Mr. & Mrs. Yuppee out slumming, and there was quite a couple of "Looks" on their faces!
                  I mean it is 2am, it is downtown Mount Carrol, Illinois which is actually a dead-end street that dead-ends looking up at our city graveyard of 6,400 residents...and a witch is floating spread-eagle in the air!
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Most of the "looks" I get tend to come more from people recognizing me than paying any attention to what I might be purchasing somewhere. My wife and I were on vacation at Cave City (about 70 miles south of Louisville) and we were having lunch in the diner next to the motel we were staying at, when these two young kids seated a few booths over began STARING big-time in our direction, muttering to each other, things like "It's HIM I tell you!". I went over and introduced myself and assured them that I was indeed who they thought I was and wished them a oh-so pleasant "Good afternoon". They smiled meekly and promptly left the diner moments later, never to be seen again.

On another occasion, I was out with my wife and her folks at a local pizza buffet restaurant. I'd gone into the men's room and was tending to my business when a gruff looking type shuffled past me and said "Hey , I know who YOU are!" To which I responded, "Please forgive me Sir, if I don't shake hands at the moment"...
                    "We all go a little mad sometimes..."

- Norman Bates

Comment

lol, had to share two pricess moments from my past vacation last week. #1, I learned never to read your Hauntworld magazine on a crowded airplane, especially if you have an aisle seat or are seated next to a "normal" person. Here I am looking at an ad for unit 70 and I look up to see this person staring at the mazine with a sick look on there face and I have to go into this big explanation of the haunt industry. Then I am on the beachi in Ixtapa and some poor guy that barely speaks a word of english sees the mag and gets all wide eyed. lol I can just imagine the converstaiion with his friends back home Senior was diablo!!
                      www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

You only need two words to explain yourself, Dirk..."Serial Killer".
                        Like when some guys were terrified of me during a tour all because of my oldest son's tee-shirt I was wearing:" Henry, Portrait of A Serial Killer"!
                        They thought I was going to kill them because of the shirt!?
                        Remember Dirk , as a dues paying member of Serial Killers America, you cannot kill anyone unless you are wearing this official shirt!
                        Violation of this club rule will be cause for immeadiate termination and feasting on your carcass! (Bite/law #54)
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                        X