Building a Cave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Cave

We are planning on builiding a cave in our haunt and I was wondering what everyone would recommend. Concrete? Monster Mud? Spray foam? Has anyone used different materials and prefer one over another? Oh, yeah I want cheap also. We went on the Frozen Tundra Tour and we loved the cave at Terror on the Fox. That cave looked like some kind of spray foam.

We are making a mine shaft for our trail, we are using the frame from a car canopy and covering it with vacufoam panels called cave wall. I will get the link from my brother and post it. The panels are 4x8 and can be rolled up for shipping ups or fedex. To save on the cost some of the walls will be covered with wet moss and parts that can not be seen will not have it on it. I'm thinking to do a 10'x20' mine shaft I will use 8 panels so that they will see rock here and there.
    Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

wood cutouts, chicken wire, burlap soaked in plaster over it, use thin strips in between joints so you can sectionalize it if portable.
      The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

I'm not sure if this would work? or be safe..
        I'd like to 'bury 3-4 60' foot steel containers about 4 feet under grade,
        with 4 feet of dirt on top,for a cave.
        If it didn't collapse.sure would make a good storge place too..
        I may be way off with this..ideal" don't want to hurt anyone..
        Ghoul Town

Comment

Well as far as the Terror on the Fox cave, I talked to Tattoo about it recently, and came up with about $8,000 to $10,000 worth of supplies to get that room like it was. They used spray foam from www.tigerfoam.com

They sell a kit that costs about $600, and can cover something like 100 sq.ft.
          Brad Bowen
          Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
          www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

I went and checked out the darkness on my way to transworld this year and Larry has a pretty phenomenal looking cave/waterfall room. I think it was carved out of styrofoam and plastic coated but you would have to ask him to be sure.
            Jared Layman

Comment

The only cheap way to create a cave is to use a shovel and every back muscle you own.
              I had a 1963 homemade horse trailer delivered to my backyard for $60.00. (4 horse model, I think?)
              I cut off the axles , spun it around, cut out the nose-end, re-attached the axles where they now needed to be to wheel it over the chasm, buried some solid concrete blocks , welded legs ontop of the blocks to level the trailer up.
              This could have been a cave, a tunnel, but it's my tomb. I laid up 150 year-old soft bricks at the entrance, made an arched doorway. Made a heavy steel door from a huge old electrical box my electrician neighbor threw away. The vines cover the sides of the horse trailer in the summer and fall, hiding it's lowly architectural pedigree.
              $60.00, "Delivered!"
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

We built a very long and tall cave outdoors from rebar with hardware cloth over it, then sprayed my secret additive in concrete and sand over that about 3/8 inch think inside and out. Total cost $1800. Caves to go?

It was intentionally half the cost of foam, and a third the cost of gunite. It ends up painted any decor. We have had one outdoors in tornado alley since 1998. The insulating quality of our formula feels like a real insulated underground cave and works well for haunts as this offers that other worldly different than everyday feel to a room or outdoor event.

But, it is secret technology only I know. Well, I did teach one other place how to do this and they have made cool volcanos and giant skulls the same way. Other than them it is a secret.

You must first know how long this thing is to last, wether it will be inside or out, if it must cone in sections or weighing 20,000 pounds is okay. It could be done over wood and very fine screen (harware cloth metal) stapled to it but the outdoor ones should be all welded together with a 12 inch rebar grid.

This same formula can have burlap dipped in it but, I would fire retard the burlap first if it is indoors The concrete and additive or monster mud doesn't burn but when subjected to a hot flame, these compounds crack and pop off and the burlap smolders for ever without fire retardant.
                sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Welcome to Jeopardy!
                  Alex' please: That would be " Ferrocement" for 100 dollars
                  please..
                  try googleing it ,it's a very old cement mix..
                  Ghoul Town

Comment

Here's a link to classes and information on ferrocement. Larry, I would like to write on article for HW about a fast technique we developed utilizing spray foam. Would you and your readers be interested?

http://www.jpjtechnologies.com/?gcli...FQ_rYAodjg28ng
                    Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Different parts of this country see very different kinds and durations of weather.
                      Here we might see below zero for a week or two , spring and summer can be very wet and humid. Mold loves the Miss. River valley!
                      All things to keep in mind when planning to build, especially if it is supposed to last awhile outdoors.
                      The corn likes the weather here.
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I would be interested in a How To on the foam. My haunt I will be building for 08 Will be underground theme. So My whole haunt is going to be a cave.

Thanks
                        Dennis Moyer

Comment

I attended the JPJ Synthetic rock construction class several years ago in Arizona. It taught me a lot about concrete and cement. Immediately after I built a huge "spider cave" and 60 tunnel (you can see these in the latest HW video).

If you have a permanent location and want to make something permanent, this this is a cheap and realistic way to go.

Since then I have learned a thousand ways to use plaster and foam, so I probably wouldn't build it the same way today.

Dwayne Sanburn
                          13th Gate

Comment

Matt, we'd definitely love to see the article!

Kel
                            Chris Riehl
                            Sales@spookyfinder.com
                            (586)209-6935
                            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Arrrg, having flashbacks of a paper-mache cave I built about 6 years ago.

Worst idea ever!

And Matt, bring on the info, sounds great!
                              Heartstoppers
                              Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
                              www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

Working...
                              X