Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Hack Challenge

Hacker's Challenge to kick start 2011!!

Many of us come across items that can be modified for a Haunt use. The modification can save us time or in most cases money!!! Sometimes we run across an item, but have no knowledge to the actual "hack" (I'm referring to myself here!!) I know there are individuals with the necessary knowledge who just need us to challenge them!!!

Here's the first Challenge for 2011....

Harbour Freight has wireless driveway alert. Normally about $30 it goes on sale regulary, right now it's $17.99 !!!

I am sure there must be a way to hack the unit so instead of the sensor signalling a internal chime, it could cause a closed contact that we could use to start a controller!

For those that have to set up every year you could place triggers REALLY fast!! The rest of us just get a convienance of not having to run trigger wires!!!

2011 Challenge begins!!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireles...tem-93068.html
    Attached Files
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

My Hacking

I hacked the common motion switches so they would turn on those Radio Shack talking chips.
    After opening the compartment up I traced the solder line on the board and then scratched across it heavily enough to disconnect the 120 volts going to the bulb socket. Then I soldered a wire to the now open end I just disconncted and that provided the switching for the contnuity (or was that low voltage?) to make the chip play when the motion was detected. Disclaimer" Don't even think of trying this if you have zero or almost no electrical experiece.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

That's simple what ever you want to explode, hook into the speaker wires. With out the speaker those two wires can go to a relay to trigger anything. These are the same thing Radio Shack sold 10 years ago for $20. A personal burglar alarm only with a remote. I would use in the bread box to protect my twinkies and scare the crap out of Vampirella as she tried to get them. usually a 9 volt system. Even if it is only 3 vollts it can do anything.
      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

"Personal burglar Alarm"

Thanks, Gregg. I forgot I still have one of these. I guess I have not been personally burgled in a long time...my Twinkies might be rather stiff, or at least the one closer to the opening.
        This simple battery-powered device scared alot of people as they would walk where I didn't want them to be.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

If your twinkie is stiff for more than 4 hours, consult your physician. Or change the batteries in your alarm every spring and fall. I forget which is right.
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Ah ha!

I had no luck with the speaker wires, I dont think there was enough juice or it was taking the right path to get to my device. So it didnt work.
            But I just wired a moving holiday toy ( I think it used to be santa) and wired its activation button leads onto either side of one of the three LEDs. That works, you get subtle movements but that is perfect for my application. I plan on doing alot more of these all over my monster museum. The first one will be my phoenix.
            So there you go, challenge physically finished.
            Allen H
            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Or just buy this for $12?

http://www.amazon.com/SensorPlug-Mot.../dp/B000A3CIUW

Comment

The sensor on the post is wireless and can be placed anywhere. makin it waaay more valuable to me. I think for my purposes I like the one that needed a slight hack. but a good find none the less.
                Allen H
                www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                X