Question about the Make up DVD sold at TW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Make up DVD sold at TW

I have a really simple question pertaining to the Make up dvd.

First off great DVD, i have watched it now at least a half dozen times but my question is about the gelatin sequence.
    It looks like a really cool make up job but i know in the past when i have used gelatin for make up that it gets rock hard when dry and i only use it in patches mixed with blood gel for a muscle structure look.

When Jeff did this make over in the video they did the entire head!

Did that get rock hard as well? And if so how bad is it to act in every night. Just curious i have an actor working on a new character with a distorted face and we thought this may be a way to do it but this guys a very intense actor and i wouldn't want to hamper his performance with something heavy, stiff and hot to work in.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

Thats a good question. Wish I would have had it last night, I had him on the phone for an upcoming interview on RFR about the DVD.

I am sure he is lurking the boards somewhere or one of these haunt experts can answer that. But you are right, it is a great DVD.

"The Original Haunt Industry, Halloween and Horror Podcast"
    http://rfrpodcast.com

COSTUMES FOR KIDS
    "Bringing Halloween to Disabled and Less Fortunate Children"
    http://www.costumesforkids.net

Comment

But Kevin will a guy running around iside of a tent with Jell-o on his head really scare anybody except some mental health professionals?
      Will he be called "Mr. Badcampout?"
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

hey kevin....gelatin will get rock hard if it dries out...in the dvd i think they used latex as a sealant so that it slows the drying process down...if you watch it over again, i think he says it in there somewhere....i believe you are talking about the makeup that roger miller did...i hope this answers the question....

todd poole

Comment

I personally didnt care for the gelatin used on my Head one time....blech
          Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Was it a gel-foam product they used or straight gelatin like a gel-effects type makeup? I haven't received my DVD yet, so I can't reference it. After I receive and watch it, I may be able to post an update.
            www.mindseizure.com
            www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

it is the ol' dick smith technique....nox gelatin and hot water....in the video ( i havent had a chance to reference it myself) i think theres a couple of makeups where geletin is used...
              i havent ever used a geletin makeup...but no matter how disgusting it may be, and how gross someone says it is to have it on...you never go hungry the entire night...lol...

todd

Comment

I suggest using MUD's gel foam cubes instead of foam latex... great to work with and has never dried out on me, nice skin like feel to it...

Also not to mention much cheaper then foam latex... You can find it here:
                http://www.fxwarehouse.info/Merchant...y_Code=Gelatin

However if your in or around NY i would just get it from the creator... Make-up Designory in NYC...

Bill Rod.
                Dark Tech Effects
                Automated DMX Lighting
                Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

First of thank you guys for all the reply's, this is so excellent to have such a cool group to chat with and swap techniques.

I kind of thought it was Nox Gelatin and yes it does get Rock hard and not very breathable at all,especially since they used a plastic bag as a bald cap. I could just see an actor hitting the floor from over heating due to all the heat being contained under those two elements.

Regardless the make up job is awesome and as said by many im sure you could change up some of the products to allow breathing a little better.

Bearded bil, you got my attention but in the same thought i wonder about expense. The gel foam cubes are very cool and as frugal as i am i always look for the cheaper route so please don't be offended.

Is this not the same product as Mehrons 3-D gel heat it up and pour it on and work it until it cools? If so i do know that Mehron does in fact sell their 3-D gel in pancake form and it retails for around 13$ a pancake so it is half the price. Im thinking of course of a 20 night season and applying it 20 times, that adds up! Thats why i did investigate into Mehrons product line at TW last year and they informed me that do in fact make the cakes.

I was for two seasons buying the little bottles at 4.95$ a shot and thinking what am i insane! I was going through 10 bottles a night on only a couple of actors,but the crowd response was phenominal so we kept buying the stuff.

Again everyone thanks for the reply's,im glad i put the topic up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Warfield
                    But Kevin will a guy running around iside of a tent with Jell-o on his head really scare anybody except some mental health professionals?
                    Will he be called "Mr. Badcampout?"
                    No Jim, i think we will call him Bill Cosby!LOL
                    Or maybe puddinhead!

Comment

Well $25.00 isn't so bad for gel foam cubes, and if you take good care of them, they most likely will last more then one sitting, and the 2nd time you apply them they will already be painted... the thing that is GREAT about them, any excess you don't use, just melt it down and reuse for your next mold. Good luck in your search! Let us know what you decide on using and how it works out...
                      Bill Rod.
                      Dark Tech Effects
                      Automated DMX Lighting
                      Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

To make your gelatin flexible indefinately add glycerin to the mix. This is one of the basics that has been used for the last thirty years by pro make-up artists. Add it after you mix the water into the gelatin.

Comment

Glycerin?

Anyone with a good place to get glycerin? I tried Walgreens and they only have suppositories. For some reason, I did not think that was what I was after unless I was going to shove them up some actors nose

Any particular store you can go to? How about ole Wally, does he have it at his mart?

Is Vegetable Glycerin the same thing? Is Glycerin used in soap making? What the heck is Glycerin? Ok, skip that, Wikipedia here I come....

I have seen Glycerin referenced in the new CIFX segment for making blood on the new haunted media DVD and Geoff's video, but am still a little unclear on the specifics.

I will take websites or would prefer to drive down the street and get me some of that Glycerin.
                          Mooo or Booo, what ever suits your fancy

Comment

You can get glycerin here:
                            http://www.fxwarehouse.info/Merchant...y_Code=Gelatin

However, a lot of makeup lines carry their own brand.
                            www.mindseizure.com
                            www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

Since you guys are linking to them let me just add to the mix for Kevin that Thea at FXwarehouse is a great source of help. For those of us in Illinois I have been able to reliably order from her on a Monday and get my stuff by Wednesday or Thursday standard shipping if the know you need it for that weekends show. Just a really great group to work with when getting your makeup supplies....
                              http://www.innerfears.com/
                              http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

Working...
                              X