How to rust metal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to rust metal!

I needed some rusted chains for a costume im working on. unfortunately lowes doesnt sell rusted chains so i found some really heavy duty chain for $2.27 a foot. if you soak the chains in a vinegar soak over night followed by a salt water soak the next night when you leave them to sit out they will rust in just a few days. spraying them with water periodicly (spelling) will speed it up.

the longer you leave it in the vinegar the more rust will be formed. i left it just over night and it started getting spots all over where it had begun. it also doesnt matter what kind of vinegar i used a mix of this red vinegar and balsamic and it worked very well (smelled awful though).

so far its worked very well and im pretty sure from what i was told it will work on any metal. gives it a real rust and works very well so far. will post pics soon!

How to rust metal

you can use muriatic acid. Home Depot or local hardware stores carry it. it's used by masons, tile setters or for cleaning swimming pools, great for cleaning stone and brick not so good for metal, very corrosive with metal.
    either dip it or spray it with a squirt bottle, wash it off well when you have your desired look.

CAUTION! wear gloves, protective eyewear, mask and use only outdoors. very bad fumes.
    frightland.com

Comment

Then there is also the commercial "kits" you can buy to do all sorts of metal effects. Usually there will be a primer, metal infused paint, patina activator, then sealer. It can get rather expensive though. Most of them work very well though as that is what they are specifically designed to do.

Of course you can also fake it with rust colored paints and a little bit of sand for course spots.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
      -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Rusty Chain Prop-cheap!

This is kind of an older post, but the rusty chain idea is great. That's awesome that you found a quick way to make it rust as well.

If you're looking to use it as part of a costume and/or wrapped around an actor, etc I found a great rusty chain prop through HauntedProps.com

I plan to buy a couple of those soon for different scenes and it would be WAY lighter wrapped around your actor than a real heavy duty chain! Just a thought.

http://www.hauntedprops.com/product-p/hp58417.htm
        District of the Dead Haunted House & Morbid Entertainment

http://www.BuffaloFear.com
        http://www.MorbidEntertainment.com

Comment

I usually take the chains and throw them in the fire in the back yard.
          Then I soak them in 50/50 bleach & water.
          24 to 48 hours you have 100 year old chains.

John

Comment

An Ornamental Blacksmith told me

His "Secret", he personally urinated on steel items to "Age" them.
            Yes he did.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Jim,

That will work too!

john

Comment

How to rust metal!

sweet! Urine is cheaper then muratic acid....
                Capt.Chaos
                Fear Asylum Haunted House
                Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

Fire!

Fire speeds up oxidation. The vinegar, salt, or acid will help too, put the two together and my it can be done quick. We've found that everything else is a real pain, but fire is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by geckofx View Post
                    Fire speeds up oxidation. The vinegar, salt, or acid will help too, put the two together and my it can be done quick. We've found that everything else is a real pain, but fire is fun!
                    got the good ol blow torch to these are they are looking delicious! Ill post some pics of mine soon. They got a good scorching and have been soaking a while.

Comment

Working...
                    X