No announcement yet.

dealing with handicap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin, you were reading my mind! LOL I was thinking the same thing... Sinnister Scents!

The building we're in was required to be brought up to new code, including sprinklers emergency lights, etc. and we were required to be 100% handicap accessible, which we were happy to do. We also had some people come through last year with a son in a wheelchair. We met them at the exit to make sure the trip through was without obstruction and to see if they had any feedback on how we could improve it for people in wheelchairs. They said it worked out perfect and went on to explain that this is the first time in years they have been able to go through a haunted house as a family. The whole family are Halloween and haunt enthusiasts. They thanked us profusely. I let them know that having a brother who had recently become paralyzed from the chest down had opened my eyes to the challenges people in wheelchairs face and it had given me a whole new understanding and respect for them. That one family made the extra effort worth it!

By the way, our local codes require a 36" clearance throughout, but we also went with 48". If allows for a bit more wheelchair maneuverability. :wink:

Kel
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Remember the post on here once about a wheelchair bound customer who got knocked to the ground and broke a bone by other customers as they fearfully reacted to something? A stampede victim!
      Something else to think about.....
      The wheelchair stampede victim still said they had a great time!
      We have had some very sick (physically) people come here to see the house and we got pretty choked up after they left because we felt so sorry for them and their totally uphill struggle they are going through, this hits one especially hard when they are young kids who are diagnosed to not see too many more birthdays.
      It is incredible what some of them have already been through and they desire with which they still approach life. It is very inspiring.
      "Who? Me?, Naw, I guess I sure don't have any problems."
      It's all "relative", isn't it?
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
      X