No announcement yet.

Eureka Screams Spring Break Update...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry it's taken me so long to post an update. We did end up doing better the second weekend of our Spring Break event, but nothing like the fall. We were able to cover our overhad costs, including payroll. We're glad we did it though for the following reason, many that were pointed out in previous posts:

1. We were able to get the team together for a great time of scares and laughs.

2. We were able to introduce the area to the concept of a non-fall haunted attraction event.

3. We were able to give a lot of new visitors the opportunity to see the show.

4. We were able to further brand our business and maintain a buzz about Raycliff Manor.

5. We were able to contact our sponsors and let them know that we were providing them FREE additional exposure through our marketing efforts, on our website and by displaying their banners in our lobby.

I'm sure there are other reasons I could list as well! Thanks to the many of you who have posted, PM'd me and emailed me with your words of support and for all the sincere interest in offering suggestions and ideas and in how the event worked out.

Kel
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

While you may not have made a big profit , it sounds like a success to me! Congrats Kel.
      Lords of Chaos, LLC
      House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

Kel, Congrats on breaking even. I see it like a first year haunt, very hard to make a profit year one. Nothing but good things will come from this, great work!

=Joel=
        Heartstoppers
        Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
        www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

Awesome stuff Kelly... Once again, I hope to one day have the sucess that you've had. -Tyler
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Ok, now I can get on here and finally post a story or 2, or maybe 3!!!

We had a husband-wife VIP group cme through. I was the very last actor you encounter in Raycliff Manor, and when this group came through and when I did my thing- she screamed and said that I was the only person that scared her. The husband was just laughing and said he really didnt get THAT scared. As a special treat for the VIP guests, we pulled them off to the side, and let them go back through- starting near the begginning. The way my area was arranged- there is a U-turn at the end. As you come around this turn, that's when you see my position- I jump out of a sliding panel. As they came to this spot the second time, I hid below a cabinet at the U bend, rather than my normal spot. When they turned this corner, they were staring at my spot, expecting me to jump out again- and they were ready for it! All I had to do was stand up from my crouched position and I am directly behind them. They stood there for a solid 8 seconds, and nothing happened, so they figured that I forgot to get back in position. So they start walking again and the wife says that she was dissapointed in not seeing me again. In my wonderful Mr. Binky voice- "NO YOU DIDNT!!!!" Bothe of them nearly fell to the floor screaming!

This was one of my favorite scares. Being that I was the only one to get them the first time, and that I was able to get them even better the second time- even when they were expecting me to jump out- I still got 'em!!!
            Brad Bowen
            Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
            www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

NUMBER 2!!!!!

During my break one night, I went out to the front ticket area, to hang out and talk to some of the workers, and a car pully up. As they get out of the car and walk up to the ticket booth, I slowly trail around the facade and sneak in right behind them. Just as they stopped at the ticket booth, I got right up against the girl(they were in their 30's). We all stand there for a few seconds, and the finally gazes over her shoulder casually, and this put my clown nose about 3- maybe 4" from her face. She let out the loudest screech sound- not a scream, but a screech, and fully fell to the ground. She didnt even take a single step to try to run- she just simply collapsed! And I didnt even have to make a nooise, or honk my horn! She refused to walk in, but her man finally talked her into it. As they entered I stayed outside- but I notice that she goes straight to the bathroom. So I decide to slowly ease my way in the main area, and crouch down next to the entrance to the bathroom. Now in my position, you can easly see me when you walk out of the bathroom- but somehow, someway she didnt see me. So , as she passes me, I just casually jump in right behind her, and walk about 10 feet with her. Her man see's me, and tries his hardest to keep a straight face. She asks him what he's grinning about, and once again she turns her head around. MISTAKE!!!!! This time I honked my horn at her.

She took off running- doing 0-60 MPH faster than a Ferrari!!!!
              Brad Bowen
              www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

They thought that they had you at an unfair advantage because they had seen your hiding place, when actually you had them at a disadvantage because they merely thought they knew.
                Having multiple hiding places, numerous ways to get them within the same setting, more than one way to activate a display (Auto and manually)all go to make it more easily changable and fun for everyone.
                It really doesn't cost much to make such features happen, more thinking than money on these.
                Many things remain the same here for many years , then someone returns with a friend who has never been here before and something happens that the veteran had never had happen before and they are the one screaming, jerking ,jumping because of it! How Funny!
                When they think they know what's going to happen, because their own previous experience here has shown them (if you can't believe your own eyes and memory what can you believe?
                This is when you have the perfect set up, they have basically fooled, misinformed themselves.
                Lots of FUN!!
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Hey Brad, I thought you'd tell the story of you and Mari tag-teaming so Mari could get in the car. You tell that far better than I can and I might get some of the detail wrong.

By the way everyone, if you ever have a chance to have Brad come and perform at your haunt, you should do it! He's an inspiration to the rest of the actors!

Kel
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Very cool Brad, thanks for the stories. Those types of scares, the standing behind them till they notice are my favorites! I love working the line!

=Joel=
                    Heartstoppers
                    Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
                    www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

Hiding in plain sight offers much fun also.
                      One time when I was in the French Quarter by myself, I had on my spookhouse clothes which consisted of a black cape, a black cowl and knee length leather mocassins.
                      I went to the "hole-in-the-wall" bar located around the corner from Bourbon Street that is only an alley with a roof, but was supposed to the location where a phoney Sheik tortured his enemys to death back in the 1880's (Before he and his entire housefull were found all sliced and diced.)
                      This place is very narrow as you walk in, there was a built-in table with some stairs that went nowhere, so I walked up and stood on the table looking down at the entrance walk-way like a statue.
                      People walk in , look at me, then I would move and they would jerk and scream! I fit the mood of the surroundings pretty well, I guess?
                      Later I explored more of the place. When I walked into an upstairs room with numerous young college kids drinking, they all began wanting to shake my hand? They were thanking me for making such an nice , strange place for them!?
                      No, I am not the owner......
                      I guess I was doing what that old saying means "A Busman's Holiday"?
                      (He rides the bus.) One of my very few nights not haunting my house, and.......
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Raycliff Manor
                        Hey Brad, I thought you'd tell the story of you and Mari tag-teaming so Mari could get in the car. You tell that far better than I can and I might get some of the detail wrong.

By the way everyone, if you ever have a chance to have Brad come and perform at your haunt, you should do it! He's an inspiration to the rest of the actors!

Kel
                        Well, I guess should become a professional actor like the good ole Rex Hamilton. Oh, by the way Kel, those guys from the Chamber of Horror got a hold of me, and are asking me to come up there at Halloween time.

So I guess that if mine doesnt work out this year, I will have to come up to Arkansas. But who's house should I work at? HHMMMM...

Maybe we can have an autcion!! High bidder gets me for each weekend!!
                        Brad Bowen
                        www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

An absolute congrats for breaking even! Are you planning on continuing the Spring Break haunting in the future?

Brad, it sounds like you had a great time!
                          www.mindseizure.com
                          www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

We'll definitely be moving forward with the Spring Break event. My mind is already reeling with PR, marketing and publicity stunt ideas for next year's Spring Break event. Starting a Spring Break event was almost like starting a new attraction in an area not accustomed to having a haunted attraction. It's an education and familiarization process. I believe it'll prove to be profitable in the the future. We just had to bite the bullet in introducing the concept. Fortunately, other promoters "caught the bug" and want to work together with us next year to cross-promote a much larger overall event! Seeds firmly planted and fertilization has begun! :wink:

Kel
                            Chris Riehl
                            Sales@spookyfinder.com
                            (586)209-6935
                            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Originally posted by Raycliff Manor

Kel
                              Ok, by special request!!

We had a group walk through the was a teenage girl and her little brother. I got to work with them a little at the front, and figured out that she was very scared of funny clowns, and so I passed that on to the rest of the actors. After they walked through, they had to wait out front for their mom to come pick them up. So, Mari, me, and 1 or 2 other people walked around outside stalking her, while they waited. Well, the wonderful Mari made a deal with the little brother- that when mommy drives up, she can sneak into the backseat rather than himself- to scare mom. Well it worked out perfect- we distracted mom outide the drivers side window, while Mari climbed into the backseat. As they were saying bye to us, mom rolled up the window, put her seatbelt on, put the car in drive and started to drive away. They went about 5 feet, and Mari leaned around the drivers side seat and asked "HEY MOM WHATS FOR DINNER?!?!?!"
                              This poor mom screamed bloody murder, and then started laughing her head off! Mari climbeed out so that the boy could get in, and we were all laughing our heads off.
                              Well, of all things- mom started snorting as she laughed. And BTW- this is the most pig-like snorting I've ever heard!!
                              HAHA!!- OINK!!! HAHAHA- OINK!!! HAHAHA- OINK!!! HAHAHA- SNORT!!!

After about 10 or 15 seconds after laughter, they were saying bye to drive off. "Bye you guys, (Snort!!) you guys are awesome (OINK!!), thanks!"

As they started to drive off( they went about 15 feet or so, I had to go chase them down and make them stop. I started running along side the car to flag her down and make her stop. She must have thought there was some king of emergency!! She stopped real quick and rolled down her window and asked me what was the matter? I pause for a few seconds....

SSSNNNNOOORRRRTTTTTT!!!!!

It was the loudest snort I've ever let out. She was laughing from embarassment and from having too much fun, and started to drive away. I've never seen a famly laugh so hard before!!

Needless to say, we all couldnt stop laughing about it for a while, and just couldnt stop talking about it!
                              Brad Bowen
                              www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Hey Kelly, you got anything else you'd like me to tell?
                                Brad Bowen
                                www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Working...
                                X