Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WALLS

hello,

I did my first hauntedhouse in 2006. We had REDICULOUS walls made from some type of party table cloth and clothes line. After the turn out i had with horrible props and actors i am really wanting to get this thing going foreal. Heres the problem, outdoors, limitted storage, very tight budget, i need some ideas for walls. I'm thinking that i need to just suck it up and make some plywood walls but i was just curious on other LESS EXPENSIVE ideas out there.

-sean

Anything cheaper might be unusable , too heavy, not at all weather-resistant, waste of time.
    Paint your outdoor plywood very well, all six (countem!) six sides, then make a drip cap for your top edge out of pvc pipe or something to shed the rain, keep the wall up off the ground with a cement brick or something and your outdoor walls should last a very long time.
    Sometimes people tare down a house and don't want the old doors, do you have a truck? Put the two together and walls become cheaper.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Would weather proof/FIRE proof, be a must????

Comment

Only if you don't want to be buying all new wood every three or four years.
        I'm not talking about any sort of fire-proofing since you said everything was going to be outside.
        The cost of wood can go crazy from real and imagined reasons of supply and demand.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

What if instead of using playwood sheets, you could stretch a cloth and stable gun it to the 4 x 8 frame?? Wouldn't last long but would it be cheap and affective???

Comment

Walls

That is a good question. I would like to think it would work. However if someone were to run into your wall's, you are at risk of a tare or hole. Then you would have to patch it up.

Hey I am a new haunter myself and am looking to start my own haunt. Walls for me has been a hot topic. But I can't get to far ahead of myslef, My next worry is money.

What kind of a budget are you working with?

Comment

I have a Small space, i'm using my backyard. For the layout i have 360 feet of walls i have to build. With what i've learned with my space i'm looking at $2,500 just for the walls. (Please correct me if i'm wrong.)

Comment

Well?

Have you gone to Menards, Lowes, or Home Depot to price lumber?

If you have a good number of staff and security personel in your haunt, I could see your idea of stapleing material on a frame, would work. By those security staff being in your haunt, it will keep your pattrons in order.

I would have to say your $2500 would cover all lumber for the size of your haunt.

Being that the yard is yours, make sure to check all legal aspects with your city. If your land is not zoned for comercial you may not be able to charge your patrons!

Comment

For my party, my walls are made of ferring strip(wood) and cardboard painted black. As you are outside I dont think it would work for you since the wind would probably blow it all away.

Comment

How sturdy your walls have to be depends in part on what kind of a show you are giving them and it also depends upon what kind of customers you will be getting.
                    More aggressive scares ellict more extreme and aggressive reactions.
                    Cloth with a wooden frame wouldn't last long if this wall was behind a jumpy-reactive scared customer.
                    Then some Azholz who see a flimsey wall see it as a vandalistic quest to see how much damage they can inflict and get away with?
                    Customers feeling they paid too much for the show also react very badly sometimes taking it out on the props and walls. Funny thing is , some of these people begin doing this and they haven't seen even half the show yet!? They are just azholz! Azholz who have probably NEVER figured out or built ANYTHING themselves, and probably never will, unless the state pen has a cobbler's class.
                    "Real nice birdhouse, fellah."
                    "It ain't no birdhouse! It's a wooden holder for my Pac-Man gameboy!"
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Thanks for reminding me about the PVC drip caps, Jim! Mine is an entirely outside gig and that will work wonders for keeping the wood around. Forgot you had that darned good hint there....
                      The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

what if (still on the fabric idea) you use those vinyl/plastic canvas car cover things it's pretty strong i don't know how easy it would tear?

Comment

My ultimate wall system would still be computerized lasers making "walls" on fog.
                          You could pack it into a small truck and drive away!
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                          X