what type of place you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what type of place you have?

hey there! I have been looking around places to put my haunt and i can't seem to find a good place to put my haunt. so what type of build or place you guys use?

Thanks!

HG
    it's ok... the dark has many faces you can't see..

im in an X citty market building. (lame i know but it works for me)

Comment

What's the old saying, "Only three things are of importance...location, location, location!!

Most will say that with that you need to be visible. Then you have haunts that you have to drive miles off the main road say like Terror on the Fox, you take a train to GET to the haunt...not exactly visible! There are successful haunts in just about every venue imaginable.

With that taken into consideration, almost any "rule" or guideline that anyone gives you… someone else can give you an example of a successful haunt that breaks that rule!

Years ago it was considered suicide to be next to any other entertainment venue. You didn’t want to be near a movie theater, or any other attraction that would put your customer on a position of making a decision with their money of you or them. Now haunts partner up with entertainment centers!
      So what I’m saying is, there is no one right answer. You either look for a location first, as some locations will actually dictate the style, or you decide on the style, then look for a location to put it.

Sometimes a market will dictate what you do. In Vegas years ago there was NO retail or warehouse space available. In some areas to find space you can afford, you were in the boonies, good locations didn’t have any available spaces. For us the trailer haunt is the perfect solution. We were able to put the haunt in the parking lot in an area where we could never find an indoor location.

There are actually a couple seminars at TW that are dealing with this issue from the view of the FEC or small amusement park. I would suggest these out as they can also help in your situation. There is “Bringing Seasonal Terror to FECs” , “Trailer Haunts: Portable Haunts For FECs And Other Venues”, “Welcome To The Haunted Attraction Industry: How To Get Started”. Take these three and they should answer most of your questions....then create new ones!!!

While you are at TW, talk to EVERYONE! Ask them where they have their haunt. You’d be surprised how many different answers you will get!
      Which one is best for you?? Really only you will know.

Good luck! Hope to see you at TW.
      Rich
      R&J Productions
      Las Vegas, NV
      www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I double what RJ just said Location Location Location, We have the perfect Haunt 70,000 indoor sq feet, 14 buildings, all connected by a central service hallway, cement and steel structure, over 38 acres of land for future outdoor haunt venues... BUT our location SUCKS! we are withn a hour of the three largest colleges in Michigan. with 45 minutes of 3 states, within 2 hours of well over 3 million people, BUT again our location sucks cuz we are out in the boonies.....
        Our Property was a old Goverment run "pig Farm" but the locals tell a different story.......
        Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Ravens Grin Inn

Small town, middle of "nowhere", low population, 1870 Italianate house with cupola and wine cellar and resident ghost(not me-yet.) since at least 1925.
          Located behind the little downtown storefronts, which look phoney to some like it's a "set" from a movie, along with the brick streets, antique streetlights, Civil War monument and cannons, cast iron steps and antique decorative fountain in the courtyard .
          A cliff wraps around two sides of the downtown, the face of a cliff to the west holds the graveyard looking right down the main street = 6,400 old markers up there (kind of creepy to many!) My house is at the edge of a smaller cliff, surrounded by parking lots on the other three sides.
          There are now two State directional signs on the highway a two miles from my house since I am a tourist attraction pointing them, reminding them, that I am here and open every night.
          Reading the tourist-travel reviews I was very pleased to see how much fun people have had here, even though they thought, think I am a scary person (because I'm not like them?)
          The house and yard and parking lot here is full of my creations, my art, ideas, all made trying to Not Copy anyone else's stuff.
          A tour of the place may require 60 to 90 minutes and is usually lead by ME! Screams, laughs and strange stuff, true ghost stories about this house and town told in my own peculair manner.
          I love "scaring" people with ordinary, mundane cheap little things, but then it's all in the "presentation" and the creation of anticipation..it really is.
          hauntedravensgrin.com
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Info on the USS Nightmare/How we came to be

Name: WILLIAM S. MITCHELL
            Type: Sidewheel dredge
            Size: 280' long, 70' wide, 10' draft
            Launched: 1926, by Davo Corporation, Neville Island Boat Yard,
            Pittsburgh, PA.
            Destroyed:
            Area: Missouri River
            Owner(s):U.S. Corp of Engineers; The Missouri River Queen Co.;
            BB Riverboats,Inc. 1 Madison Ave. Covington, KY 41011
            Phone: 606/261-8500
            Captain and pilots:
            Comments: Is one of only two dredges built to use the large dust
            pan style of dredging.
            Vessel still has most equipment on board.
            The vessel was in service until 1986.
            After being decommissioned it was transferred to The
            Missouri River Queen Company in Kansas city to be
            refurbished as a Steamboat Museum, however during the
            flood of 1993 "The Mitchell Massacre" as it is called by
            the Kansas City news, occured when the vessel broke
            loose in flood water and did not stop until it had hit
            5 bridges and suffered severe damage.
            After this the Missouri River Queen Company changed
            hands and restoration was placed on hold.
            She was eventually sold to BB RIVERBOATS.
            U. S. William S, Mitchell:

info on riverboatdave.com

Comment

Video of the "Mitchell Massacure"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jJG9r4t7lc

Comment

Folklore Haunted House is located inside an 18,000 square foot retail building that was constructed in 2006. It was originally an old Fred's retail store, but it closed in 2008. It is a stand alone building, with a full sprinkler system, pharmacy drive through window that we use for a ticket window (bullet proof glass!), and has several offices/rooms in the back of the building. It is basically 15,000 square foot of clear span retail space with a few columns, and then about 3,000 square foot of office space in the back, which we use for makeup, dressing rooms, breakrooms, etc.

We are about 1/2 mile off the main highway in our county, and it would be nice to be much closer to it. However, this was literally the only building in our county that had both a sprinkler system and the right amount of parking spots. I spent almost 2 years driving around my area before I found this spot, so I would definately say that finding a good location is important, and one of the hardest things about starting a haunt.
                Dewayne Anglin

Director of Operations
                Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC/ Folklore Haunted House
                www.folklorehauntedhouse.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by danglin View Post
                  Folklore Haunted House is located inside an 18,000 square foot retail building that was constructed in 2006. It was originally an old Fred's retail store, but it closed in 2008. It is a stand alone building, with a full sprinkler system, pharmacy drive through window that we use for a ticket window (bullet proof glass!), and has several offices/rooms in the back of the building. It is basically 15,000 square foot of clear span retail space with a few columns, and then about 3,000 square foot of office space in the back, which we use for makeup, dressing rooms, breakrooms, etc.

We are about 1/2 mile off the main highway in our county, and it would be nice to be much closer to it. However, this was literally the only building in our county that had both a sprinkler system and the right amount of parking spots. I spent almost 2 years driving around my area before I found this spot, so I would definately say that finding a good location is important, and one of the hardest things about starting a haunt.
                  Google Earth is amazing, I found your haunt, measured the bldg. at 133.5x 135 @ 18,022.5 sq. ft., that's not bad for a satalite image When you combine Google Earth with Bing birds eye view you can get some amazing data about the world.

BTW, that looks like a great location with a lot of population within :45 min drive!! Everything around here is suburban or urban, I'd love to be back in "big small towns".

Comment

Here is Disturbia

Arial view of DiStUrBiA my 97,000sqft building! Shane and it's works for me too! Shane
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X