Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've learned a thing or two about myspace...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've learned a thing or two about myspace...

I will tell you I have figured out ONE thing...

All those people saying, oh yeah I've already got 5,000 hits, or 20,000 hits or whatever here is your wake up call...LOL.

YOU ARE NOT getting that many hits ...

Here is what is happening. When you put up graphics on myspace you're hosting them on your site, everytime your myspace site is viewed, reloaded, anything its sending tons of PING HITS to your website giving you a the false idea that you got traffic to your website.

If you HOST images on your website/hosting for your myspace page you will totally screw up your traffic info on your website. You need to host those graphics on another site or a loser site that you do not care to KNOW accurate traffic info.

How many REAL hits do you get from MYSPACE...well when you see traffic coming from MYSPACE discard that totally.

The only hits you should be getting are 15 here, 22 there, 30 over there, blah, blah...from peoples myspace pages or your own myspace page.

I see hits coming from other peoples profiles like 10 here and 15 there ...

it will say something like www.myspace.com/jimmydevo22 or something like that...i know someone saw my comments on his page and clicked on it and came to my site.

If you get a direct hit from say www.myspace.com/scarefest then ya you got a hit but if you see www.myspace.com YOU DID not get a hit you got a pull from your server for those graphis you're hosting for your myspace page. Be carefull not to host graphics on any site you want accurate traffic info from...

For those who want to be friends with our haunt we're on line now at

www.myspace.com/scarefest

I'm learning slow but surely.

Take care.
    Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Nice info Larry. Thanks for the find.

"The Original Haunt Industry, Halloween and Horror Podcast"
    http://rfrpodcast.com

COSTUMES FOR KIDS
    "Bringing Halloween to Disabled and Less Fortunate Children"
    http://www.costumesforkids.net

Comment

As many of your know I'm knee deep into the web and I do NOT know everything, heck I learn more everyday than I know thats for sure.

I do think I know a thing or two but as said still learning.

But one thing I did know is all these people claiming they're gettings zillions of hits from MySpace I knew that wasn't true...they show their site stats and say here is the proof. I STILL DID NOT believe it...I know how the trends go on these sites for traffic and there is JUST NO WAY!

I didn't know the answer to why they show all these hits but I knew there was a catch...

Bottom line is YOU ARE NOT getting all the hits you think you are, heck you're not even getting 1% of the traffic you think you're getting.

If you host graphics on your server for your myspace pages your site stats will be so thrown off you won't know what is going on...

If you want accurate site stats you must NOT host graphics for myspace on your server, or atleast on a site you want accurate site stats for.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President

Comment

Good point to reiterate as we get into the season Larry. I posted about this back when they Myspace thing was starting to take off earlier this year:

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:48 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I don't doubt that myspace will drive some traffic your way but it is not as much as you think. If you hotlink an image from your site, everytime that image is loaded it counts as a hit. Dig down a little deeper in your stats and see what page views are.

It is always good to look into your stats more deeply. It is amazing how many times I find people hotlinking pictures/graphics from my sites. Sometimes they are for legitimate uses, other times they are "borrowing" them. :shock:

Comment

Ive learned those hot chics who message you and want you to visit their website and show you naked pics isnt really a real chic who digs you. *sigh*.. im learning too.

haha

seriously, good info Larry. That is true.
          www.myspace.com/travis_magee

Comment

MySPace is a cool way to gorilla market for sure, but its NOTHING compared to the marketing you do in your own market. All those people that stated its your #1 refer this and #1 refer that were wrong for sure.

I'm getting a few LEGIT hits from it but nothing to roll over and scream about. I have someone doing my myspace page for me and he's doing a fantastic job...its something you want to do especially over the you can make a lot of contacts.

But put things into perspective when thinking this is going to save your business or pave a new road for you.

I worry about those who thought this was the NEW way for them to market their haunt, and or the only way.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President

Comment

Yeah, I have know that about sites for some time and it needs to be pointed out to people that do not know about web stuff.

Myspace can help your business and marketing. It can help bring traffic to your site and suchm but you need other ways to market. Not just one. And that goes for more than just myspace. Any kind of marketing.

Good point everyone. And yeah, those bloody girls get you everytime. hahahaha.

"The Original Haunt Industry, Halloween and Horror Podcast"
              http://rfrpodcast.com

COSTUMES FOR KIDS
              "Bringing Halloween to Disabled and Less Fortunate Children"
              http://www.costumesforkids.net

Comment

In some instances, Larry, you are correct. However, that is only the case if you include images, videos or other objects in your profile that are hosted on your primary web site. If, as I do, you upload the images you want to include on your profile to Myspace and include only items hosted on Myspace, then you can rely on your webstats as actual hits from Myspace users.
                Brett Hays, Director
                Fear Fair
                www.fearfair.com

Comment

No body even goes on myspace anymore. Everyone uses facebook these days.

Comment

MySpace?

I didn't know they were still around. ;-)

Facebook is definitely the most popular these days, but that doesn't mean one should drop MySpace and go to FB. In fact, good Gorilla marketing incorporates all social media. MySpace, FB, Twitter, and more!
                    Travis "Big T" Russell
                    President
                    Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Uhh... Guys?

This post is from six years ago...
                      Zach Wiechmann
                      www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Wow ..... I need a calendar!

LMAO - Now thats funny.
                        Travis "Big T" Russell
                        President
                        Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

best move i ever made..........getting off of FACEBOOK

great for info. tired of the bullshit. I do have a life.......................

Comment

I'm not a fan of Facebook either but from what I hear that's where it's at for people communicating. Look at the haunt forums they've all but dried up because it's the old thing and people all now cummunicate on Facebook and that's where the Haunters exchange info whereas in the past there were email lists and forums. Times change because ten years ago you saw all the best Haunters in the industry posting on the fright forum now hardly anyone posts on here anymore it's all but dead compared to then. Times change and I guess it's important to keep up. I miss the old days when this forum was very active and reading posts from everyone from Cydney Neil to John Denley...

DA

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                              I'm not a fan of Facebook either but from what I hear that's where it's at for people communicating. Look at the haunt forums they've all but dried up because it's the old thing and people all now cummunicate on Facebook and that's where the Haunters exchange info whereas in the past there were email lists and forums. Times change because ten years ago you saw all the best Haunters in the industry posting on the fright forum now hardly anyone posts on here anymore it's all but dead compared to then. Times change and I guess it's important to keep up. I miss the old days when this forum was very active and reading posts from everyone from Cydney Neil to John Denley...

DA
                              I'm not sure the forums will ever pick back up again like they were 10 or more years ago. You get new posters every now and then that come on here a post a bunch for awhile but even those die off. Its not completely dead but its nothing like it used to be. Heck the dude that owns this site barely posts on here anymore. I have my own thoughts as to why this particular place has slowed.
                              Jared Layman

Comment

Working...
                              X