Board Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board Games

Warning: I am about to totally nerd out but keep reading if you have a little (or a lot) of nerd in you.

So I went to a board game group this week and would love to get you guys' opinion on some of the haunt/horror related games out there if you play them.

I was going specifically to play "Last Night on Earth" and we had a nice 6 player game and I was the only one who had played before (once) so I ended up explaining the rules and such. Myself and one other guy were the Zombies and we pretty much destroyed the Heros without much of a fight (thanks to a sheriff that couldn't shoot straight; i.e. the player rolled poorly). Love the game, want to get into some of the advanced scenarios more. More details and the rulebook can be found at the Flying Frog Website: http://www.flyingfrog.net/lastnightonearth/

Then we played a game called "Betrayal at House on the Hill". . I had never even heard of the game before (just getting back into board games), but WOW this game was incredibly fun. Basically, you have several player 3-6 i think (we had 6) that explore a haunted house. You place tiles as you go and everyone is trying to build stats get items and build out the house by moving into new rooms and placing tiles. Well eventually a "Haunt" event gets triggered and one of the characters becomes "evil" and now has to take out everyone else. Depending on the room and the omen that set off the haunt determines what the Haunt is and what the Heroes and Traitor have to do to win the game. So it is a vastly different experience every time. It was amazing and despite the veterans telling us that the Heroes were going to when since we built out the house a LOT before the haunt, the Giant Spider that was spawned by the haunt and injected one of our heroes with eggs, and the traitor preceeded to eliminate us one by one. Our goal was to free the trapped hero from the webs, use a med kit to heal him of the eggs, and escape out the front door. We almost had him free of the webs before the traitor and the Spider became too much for us. Next time will be totally different and I can't wait to play it. Anyone else played this awesome game? There is actually a demo on line that shows you a little how it works: http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/hoth_demo/hothdemo.asp

Thoughts on either of these games? Any other haunt/horror board games out there you guys recommend, like, love hate? What are your thoughts?
    ----------------------------------------------
    A.J. Porfirio

Some of my actors get together every week at DarkWood to play board games. I usually don't play cause I spend the time sculpting and just listening to them play is always fun. I jump in every once in a while and play a game. I waxed the board with them a few weeks ago playing Risk. Some of the board games they play are Battlestar Galactica (which they love), Zombie Town, Cranium, among others. I like when they play Cranium cause it makes them perform and practice always good.
    I bought a copy of GOTH last week for them. I like trivia games and I thought it would be fun to play with them.
    I'll mention Last Night on Earth and Betrayal at House on the Hill to them. I saw another one on line the other week called Bump in the Night Board Game. That one looked interesting too.
    sigpic
    Louis Brown
    Owner, operator, and dish washer
    at
    DarkWood Manor

Comment

Betrayal at house on the hill is a very good game. I have a bunch of cool board games but never play them anymore.
      Jared Layman

Comment

At first glance, I was thinking NERD ALERT!!

But i like this idead. I've been revisiting my childhood lately, and been buying games, puzzles, and a ton of Nerf stuff!! I have a mini arsenal by now.

The Betrayal sounds like a lot of fun, and Im looking it up on eBay now. Thanks for the heads up!!

I wish I could put in some input, but i really dont have anything. Other than buying those old Puzz 3D puzzles.
        Brad Bowen
        Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
        www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

If you are into horror board games, be sure to check out the DVD game, "AtmosFear" and the original series, Nightmare. (VCR). Lots of fun.

-=coasterbp

Comment

Zombies!!!

ZOMBIES!!! has to be the best beer and pretzels horror board game ever. I'll admit I'm biased but Zombies!!! is a game you can teach anyone in 3-5 minutes and chances are everyone will have a good time. Twilight Creations is a treasure trove of horror board games a real rock in the gaming industry - and good folks too!

Ed
            Midnight Syndicate Gothic Nightmare Soundtracks for the Haunted Attraction Industry since 1997
            www.MidnightSyndicate.com - www.Facebook.com/MidnightSyndicate

Comment

Not exactly board games, but...

From time to time, we play the card game "Gloom", which is a riot. You control a family of 5 and draw cards in order to try and give this poor family the most miserable life possible before they all die off. It's all tongue-in-cheek melodrama, but good fun and laughs to be had by all.

Another fun card game is "chez Goth". Everyone is a roomate in a house together, and you get points for doing the gothiest stuff like painting the walls black or buying leather pants and eye makeup. Winner is the person who can "out Goth" the other players. We combined our game with cards from "Chez Geek" and "Chez Grunt" to make gothy, geeky, army wackiness. Thinking now about incorporating "Chez Cuthulu" for some real over the top fun.
              www.mournfulmanor.com

"I'm talking about romance in the sense of epic heroes, tragedy, forever friends who die for one another, quests, wars and star-crossed lovers. Romance found in dark fairy tales and the histories of martyred saints. Romance expressed through murder, cannibalism, ressurrections, and hauntings, through ancient tales of chivalry, sacrifice and betrayal."

Comment

Louis,

We have cranium and it is always a fun time. Never thought of it as practice for actors but I can definitely see it! very cool.

Coaster,

Played and enjoyed both Nightmare and Atmosfear in my younger days. Good ones.
                ----------------------------------------------
                A.J. Porfirio

Comment

Originally posted by brad View Post
                  been buying games, puzzles, and a ton of Nerf stuff!! I have a mini arsenal by now.
                  Only because you're Actor Troupe Manager conned you into a "ultimate zombie war" because she's a majorly huge nerd who has a need to kill zombies with nerf weaponry....

I want to play both of these games... feels like a team building experience waiting to happen... pizza and booze anyone?
                  sigpic
                  Catie Mahfouz
                  Blood Ink Writing Service
                  www.hauntwriter.com

Comment

Originally posted by HauntChick View Post
                    Only because you're Actor Troupe Manager conned you into a "ultimate zombie war" because she's a majorly huge nerd who has a need to kill zombies with nerf weaponry....

I want to play both of these games... feels like a team building experience waiting to happen... pizza and booze anyone?
                    Catie, you can supply the free Little Ceasars, and I'll bring the Jack Daniels!
                    Brad Bowen
                    Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                    www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Originally posted by brad View Post
                      Catie, you can supply the free Little Ceasars, and I'll bring the Jack Daniels!
                      Guess that's settled. Tell the boys they are required to attend. lol
                      sigpic
                      Catie Mahfouz
                      Blood Ink Writing Service
                      www.hauntwriter.com

Comment

Munchkin is another good game.
                        Jared Layman

Comment

Working...
                        X