No announcement yet.

Corn!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WF... so you really just discard your corn, I suppose you'd have to go out and sell it on the road side otherwise..lol Well, lets put the question another way let's say how many seeds do you plant per acre, that's pretty straight forward talk now, lol right? however, this depends on cross planting...etc but what's your magic number with the method you use? I think you could definitely put a pdf document together and sell, but, you'd have to have someone like me do the dog and pony show on it and then anybody could follow it probably...lol

Comment

I plant around 32,000-33,000 seeds per acre in rows 30" apart. That means I am dropping a seed every 6" in the row. This is my "magic" number for me. It produces enough stalks that are healthy and rigid (just leave this alone Shane & Spookhole) so they do not bend/break as easy with wind or customers bumping into them. High populations produce a lot of skinny stalks. Probably some have seen varieties of corn that do not hold leaves well and then plant higher population the next year to compensate for this.

I'll be as honest as I can. If I was a farmer who didn't do any maze or haunt; and someone approached me for help planting a few acres of corn...I would very politely say "Not interested". But people wanting to do this the first time find a farmer in your area. I hate doing fields less than 20 acres...they are a pain. But; you have an ace in your hand this year. Farmers are drooling over more farm land to work because corn is $6. Depending on part of the country...land is renting anywhere from $75 to $250 and more per acre. If you have a plot that is full of old grass sod...less than 7 acres...offer to let farmer have free rent of ground for this year to get it back in shape. Have him plow, spray, plant etc. then the corn is his to harvest AFTER haunt season ends. You have no expense...and it is done right. Try to push a preemergnce weed spray (he will know what I mean) so he doesn't have to turn around on headlands running over corn after it comes out of ground. tell him to add a extra half pound of atrazine...you do not want weeds. And you would like him to use roundup ready corn ($$$$ for seed) You will walk the field with a backpack sprayer if weed problems like thistle or cocklebur come up. You do not want customers walking through those weeds.

Comment

plant cross rows and

We haunted our first corn maze. Learned quickly that we were not in control of the scares. So we came up with a curvey M with a U in it that worked well. We could create scenes along the path and have access by coming into the customer path from behind the flow. The customers never saw them as they didn't see them. Walking backwards through the path would allow seeing them all.

The monster/ maint/ security trailer was placed on the opposite side from the entrance and exit keeping the actors and security out of sight. The pictures I am including show the actual maze on teh bottom and the haunted path in the top right of the picture. The paint pic was done real quick to give a better idea of the concept. It was about 2 1/2 acrea and had 1800+ feet of path. Security could be in any part of it in 10-15 seconds and the monsters could be get in and out inconspicuously. The two places that needed barricades were never crossed.

Plant cross, plant late, and swipe paths with a 1/2 piece of PVC pipe to create a nice clean wall of path. Take a piece about for feet long and walkt the path swiping the leaves off the corn that are hanging into the path. Plant without any buildings and interference, then place buildings with tractor with forks before corn gets 10 inches high. Rototill or flatten path early and mow weekly to keep it clean and flat (safe).

With all the low voltage controls now, utilize that as much as possible. Irrigate if needed because you want as tall and intimidating of corn as possible. Keep paths no wider than 5 feet and curvey.

Good Luck.
        Attached Files
        Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
        Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X