sprinkler systems...new construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sprinkler systems...new construction

Ballpark estimates, in new construction for say a metal pole building, what is the general consensus for number of sprinkler heads per sqft, maybe like 1 per every 200sq ft...? I know this will vary according to your state but in general...

The facts...

Spook,
    You really need to see your fire marshals on this. Sprinkler systems cannot be a guessing game when it comes to codes and such. Codes for this topic are strict. So many sprinkers per square foot and depending on how wall construction is. You might have a sprinkler there but because of a wall dividing an area, you will have to have an extra one. Every case is different so don't guess. Get the facts from your local fire/city departments.
    Just my thoughts...
    Tom
    Creator of the Dungeon
    WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

Comment

I know a business..

That had to have a sprinkler in it's all ceramic tiled bathroom. ??
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

It doesn't really matter because you can't install them! A certified sprinkler contract has to install and they will tell exactly how many are needed.

It's not just 1 per x sq ft. Is there obsticles or obstructions? Do you need to double layer heads for total coverage? To many questions to give a ball park answer. And again it is really moot because you can't do your own install.

Sorry!
        R&J Productions
        Las Vegas, NV
        www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Sprinklers

Sprinklers can cost anywhere from 2 to 10 dollars a square foot based on the type of system and hardware used. However like most have been saying, my 5000 square foot building and your 5000 square foot building may be sprinklered totally different depending on the layout, buidling design, and type of building. Keep in mind also that once you put your spinklers in, you have to design your rooms around your sprinklers....make sure that there are no obstructions by ceilings, walls, props, etc. or when the fire marshal does his inspection he will make you take your hard work back down. A sprinkler system has to undergo a annual test and be installed by a certified contractor and every 5 years a back flow preventer service test has to be done. Contact the fire marshal and building official to get it done right the first time so that it saves you a lot of head ache in the future.

Comment

sprinklers...

We are looking to turn our temporary structures into permanent ones, and we're going through the proper channels to get this done. It will probably be a project for the 2012 or 2013 season, but we feel like we need to make our two haunts indoors in the near future to protect our investments. We think we're going to be in the $5/square foot range by the time everything is done. BTW don't forget the engineering bill from the certified engineer... they're about $125-150 per hour. We will keep you posted with our progress
            Patrick Barberry
            www.legendsofthefog.com
            sigpic

Comment

sprinkler systems...

thanks all for the info, I was just trying to get a cost estimate for installing a new sprinkler system... I'll just have to ask around the local area to get a better idea, but, sounds very expensive... and just too many variables. Yeah, Patrick... please do keep us informed how things go, sounds like the weather is causing some issues up there for you guys. Wonder if you could invest in large tarps or tent covers attache to trees or long post somehow to cover your paths...etc. at night probably wouldn't be that visible. Finding used metal pole building is pretty easy I'm finding, but, concreting floors and sprinkler systems are big ones....

Q... if you have a hayride, do you outdoor buildings where your actors will be hiding..etc do these building need sprinklers also? and/or if you have a trail and guest walk into small 20x20 building--would these need sprinklers. I assumming it's flip of a coin with the firemarshall and your state's laws on this one...

Comment

The great thing about an outdoor is that there are no set codes for outdoor events (at least in the state of KY). The fire marshal does come by and inspect every year BUT the big difference is he uses the word "recommend" A LOT. We do still as he requests just to look good. All he asks is for fire extinguishers every three sites, two no smoking signs (we were in a drought this past Halloween season), and just to walk around. A fire marshal can be a major pain for an indoor haunt, but stays away from the outdoor. One haunt in our area got a surprise inspection the week of opening, and the fire marshal gave him about 2 weeks worth of work to finish in about 3 days. The funny thing about this is this haunt has been around for around 20 years and hasn't changed hardly a thing for the past 3. So sometimes fire marshal's may let you "slide" one year on a couple things, but then decide all of a sudden that it is a big deal.
                Jason Weber
                Midnight Terror Productions, LLC
                Nightmare Forest
                www.yournightmarebegins.com

Comment

Sprinkler System

We had a sprinkler system put in our 100 year 2 story barn and pole barn about 11 years ago. an engineer design the system and put his seal on the drawings, then the sprinkler company installed everything. Our barn has a heads in every room and every hallway. our pole barn was a different story, originally we had the sprinkler heads 12' high and spaced every 10' apart. Our haunt maze had open ceilings back then and about 7 years ago we wanted it to feel and look more like a real house with 8' ceiling, so we had new head dropped from the original grid. by doing this we ended up with double the amount of head. 10' sprinkler head spacing doesn't apply if you are below the 8' wall panels, every area of the floor has to be able to be sprayed by a head with no obstructions. you have to consider what look you want and how much you want to spend.
                  frightland.com

Comment

Answer to sq. ft. question

The code most jurisdictions use are the IFC (International fire code) and the IBC (International Building Code) books. They have a chapter dedicated to special amusement structures including haunted houses that give you all of the "rules" to go by. As far as your question about an outdoor attraction....if you have an outdoor trail that you walk on and then into a building that is 20x20 like you mentioned then you are not required to have a sprinkler system. Any structure under 1000 SQ ft. is not required to follow all of the codes that a big building does because the occupancy is so low, however you still have to have your fire exits and fire extinguishers. Also, if your walls do not have a roof on it then most fire marshals would not consider it a "structure". Keep in mind that the special amusement type category is ONLY for temporary haunted houses. If it is a year round or permanent then it will be considered an Assembly occupany just like a movie theater etc. Hope this helps.

Comment

New Indiana rules

Well,
                      We are in a 100 year old downtown building on the second floor. We lease the space. The rules sent out last week were dated Nov 12; 90 days ago. Anyway, I talked to a sprinkler expert at a fire protection company. The estimate he is preparing is based on sqaure footage, and does not take into account for a 6 inch water line. He basically said we would probably have to sprinkle not only the second floor, but the basement and first floor. He is talking about $ 55,000 right now without the architech , engineer, or water main. He said that would probably be about nother $ 20K. He said that a basic pole building would be around $ 20K.

The building isn't worth much more than that. I doubt if the owner of the building would do that. Even if I bought the building, it wouldn't be cost effective to put in the sprinklers.

After he gives me an estimate, I will be applying for a variance from the state commission of 30 people. That hearing will be in April. Without a variance, we will not be able to open at that location. Not sure if we could find a sprinkled building to lease if needed. :>(
                      Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                      Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

hello

new to the hauntworld guys so hope this isnt a silly question. after looking around for info my understanding is if its outside haunt their is obviously no sprinkler system required but if its inside a building the city always require it. its just a matter of how many the engineer says. reason asking is i found a perfect building thats huge but does not have a sprinkler system. its in toledo ohio. will i be required to do so?
                        thanx for any help provided.
                        J.Garcia

Comment

looks that way...

There are a few people who have been around this industry a long time and have been able to get around the sprinkler issue... but I would imagine that damn near every new startup haunt that wants to be under roof is going to need to have a sprinkler system. The first place to go is your local fire marshal and building inspectors and talk to them about your plans to open a haunt. Have a general site plan for the building and your intentions. They will then give you a jurisdictional answer based on other houses in the area... or they will refer to the national code which says you need a sprinkler system.
                          The overall expense of a sprinkler system is such a lose lose situation for new haunts. If you go outside - you have to deal with rain, eroding props/sets/paint/etc. If your stuff is protected inside, then you have to deal with the crazy costs of sprinklers. Some places have big tents that don't need sprinklers... maybe see if your fire marshal will go for a tent haunt in a parking lot somewhere? I know that our tent has a "temporary" sprinkler system in it... and it cost a good chunk of change to set up.
                          Patrick Barberry
                          www.legendsofthefog.com
                          sigpic

Comment

"The Sprinkler Will Save Me Alot Of Money!"

Said my one-time boss and owner of the brand new grocery store in Sigourney, Iowa.
                            It looked good, looked good on paper, 6 inch steel mains, big valves, miles of steel pipe all threaded together.
                            Then that insurance man came in and screwed a pressure valve in the line .....
                            Not enough pressure or volume to make the system work= no savings on his insurance, all that $$$ spent for nothing!
                            Before the small city waterline got to the grocery store it fed the Pizza Hut, the laundramat, a Motel, the Motel swimming pool and some other small businesses...
                            I would have thought some engineer or architect was possibly in trouble for green-lighting this project that became a mess of rusting steel hanging overhead in a brand new store.
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

How about if your building is 100% Low Voltage and no 110, do you think you would need sprinkler system even so?

Comment

Working...
                              X