No announcement yet.

Hard Coating methods...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen / heard of that coating. Is it pure liquid state?

Zombie, how did you thin that Tuff ll for the hopper gun? I'm fixing to start building rooms soon and will be tackling my cave!

Dewayne

Comment

It's water based, so water- but as for how much... well I don't remember exactly, but I'm a "pinch of this, dash of that" type concocter, so I'd say I started with a 16 oz water bottle and started mixing it into the bucket until it looked right...

You might consider brushing it on from the 0 to 18" height, then maybe spraying over that to get a good coating in the kick zone.
      How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

I seen the Deck Restore in homedepot the other day, and it's pretty tough tuff, pretty amazed at the samples they had out. For $75 for a full Pal /5gal is decent pricing. I'm wondering how far it will go and/or any thinners could be added... maybe we can get some pics up here...

Comment

Any other thoughts on the decking liquid? Allen? Have you seen any results for our applications?

Is this a paint btw? I see where you said you sometimes get the "oops" sets, sounds like mixed paint?

Dewayne

Comment

Just a couple of insights on this product....(RESTORE i mean). NO thinners can be added to this product or else the consistancy and texturing will not allow the product to adhere the way it should or at least as the manufacturer describes. Also most of the time it recomends not being painted on vertical surfaces but rather on horizontal ones until completely dry then positioned vertical afterwards. Other than that RESTORE is a great product Ive done many demos with it at work for customers. Oh one more thing oops paint is collected only after mistakes are made but should be near the paintdesk at all times. You'll get some great deals on it too like a gallon for 5 dollars. Just thought Id share since I work at Home Depot and RESTORE is a hot topic right now at work. See link below.....

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...#/?c=1&7xz=7xz

Comment

I got some restore the other day while at Home Depot. I got a gallon size of it. Got it tinted black, got it home and used it on the foam sarcophagus lid I carved. It's been 24 hours and pretty thick in certain areas, and so far, it feels like latex paint!

Now, my gallon size container says "Restore Deck Stain" I've wondered if it was just to paint over the 5 gallon pail, which would be the real product I was needing. But so far, it's no better than latex paint.

I'll post back pics of the gallon, and my lid tomorrow, maybe tonight but we rescued a dog today and have to tend to it to figure out what we're going to do with it. Since the robbery I've been wanting a large dog to put outside. This may be an answer to that. But anywho, I'll post reports on it.

Dewayne

Comment

Camera won't stay on.

However, description should be fine. When looking at the Deck Restore... ONLY THE 5 GALLON PAIL is going to be what you want!!! Don't let a sales rep tell you to "try this 1 gallon size, then come back and get the big pail if it does what you want"

The 1 gallon at every place around here that sells it, is ONLY A STAIN! Latex paint is better than this!. So unless you're getting the large pail for $80+, then you're not going to be even remotely happy! I can easily press my nail through 2 thick coatings on my sarc. lid.

I may or may not try the real deck restore, if I do, I'll let you guys know. It's still plyable, the lowe's displays are on thin cardboard pieces and it bends very easily. However, on the wood... it's like a rock! Guess it has to have a firm backing... like maybe more than foam.

Dewayne

Comment

More Info Please...

On this subject, I have always wanted to do a waterfall with foam. To ensure the foam is 100% waterproof what do you all suggest? Also, to coat the foam, do I paint the foam then coat it or mix it together?

The coating area is an area I haven't ever gotten into.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
                  Ryan

Comment

I just sprayed my coating on the foam first, then painted. however, I'm not a pro and this is my first time doing foam carving as such.

I sprayed Tuff ll on my facade and was going to use Restore for the inside stuff. I still need to finish my foam work inside, but I plan on doing that after I finish construction of the haunt which is scheduled to end in 2.5 weeks. I'll post updates to this thread when I start back on the foam work.

Dewayne

Comment

If you are doing water features, you can put a coat of latex paint, several coats and then put a layer or two of fiberglass then more paint of some type. Fiber glass resin can be tinted also. Non water areas done in cement, sand and bonding agent and then painted or stained to taste. Add some moss or other garnish and serve.
                      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Thanks greg.

I'll probably just do that for my first fountain. I was going to make it nice and large for the basin, like 3ft by 8ft, but instead, I may just dump it into a cute little ... um. NASTY looking bucket I got

Comment

Working...
                        X