• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck weber View Post
    just wondering.........thank you.
    Yes 13th Hour was there.
    ----------------------------------------------
    A.J. Porfirio

Comment

I can see where Gore Galore might be mad, but this is business China does this to everyone they take existing ideas and do it fo cheaper. Kevin's looked way better but they are prices way higher and Dream Scape found a solution for those still wanting big costumes without the high price. I think they are filling a void and it's a good thing. Ex Mortis made their stalk around and you saw peole take that idea as well, it's all part of the game.

DA

Comment

I think their is a major problem here with this Dreamscape Company.

The giant costumes aren't the only ripoff,
        Kevin developed the Pet Zombies with death certificate, Dreamscape has Dead Buddies and come with guess what? A death certificate..
        They have ripped off the Big o pipe, the zombies heads on plaques, the Bucky guts and there may be more, I looked quickly.

I also noticed that the twin brothers that used to work for Kevin were in Dreamscapes booth, They were wearing Gore Galore shirts, it wasn't bad enough to rape Kevins product, they had to rub it in his face.

Your a strong man Kevin, had this happened to me, the twins wouldn't have been able to walk into the show.

Dan Augusto

Comment

I get the anger and frustration, but this is the nature of business and a free market economy. Why should the haunt industry be any different? For example look at Silly Bands or what ever those things are called. There are a million companies making them now.

The point is, there will always be copy cats and cheaper knock offs. If someone else can figure out how to do the same thing for cheaper than they are going to and that is that. What Kevin seems to have going for him is a brand loyalty that is hard to crack.

Think about it this way, if you are like me (and probably everyone else) when you go to the grocery store, you will buy generics for certain products, but for some you have to have the name brand and you are willing to pay more for it. But the fact that there are substitutes that compete puts pricing pressure on the market and allows you to perhaps get the higher quality product cheaper. It is economics and free markets working at its best. Whether the price difference is worth the premium brand is up to each individual buyer.

Now if there is some kind of patent infringing or trademark violation then that is another story, but it doesn't seem that is the case and if it is, please enlighten me.
          ----------------------------------------------
          A.J. Porfirio

Comment

Although it appeared to be some bad blood with duplications and such amongst many vendors. The blond girl working the DreamScape booth was hot as a firecracker... Man I forgot the subject..
            I hate it for Kevin with Gore Galore but like Stan with the boom sticks, if you don't trademark and or patent the design your bound to have someone come out with cheaper versions..

Comment

It's business...

I am not in anyway in the loop with haunt industry things and the drama behind it. I happily observe the fun stuff from outside it. Business copying other business is nothing new. Look at fast food industries, Starbucks comes up with the idea to start selling oatmeals, soon McDonalds begins selling oatmeals as well. I do feel it is unethical practice to knock off other's creations, but also feel if the knock offs are better then the originals then that is a good thing!

From only what I've read here in this thread, if the knock offs are cheaper then the original, the original has to play up the other pros of their product. Even step up their game and separate themselves from the dollar store toys.

But that is just opinion I am sure there are plenty of other people who are more "in" then I.

Comment

Rip-offs, Knock-offs, duplication.....seems we have it EVERY year!! Our job is to stiff through and make decisions accordingly.

First off you can't really claim you are knocked or ripped off if you didn't actually CREATE or invent the product. Case in point is the Boom Stick debacle. I was not at TW last year, only heard about the product. This year I see several vendors with them. I looked and they were identical products. I questioned. The product was not "invented" by Digital Sound, merely FOUND. They purchased it and brought it to the show. Other vendors simply found the same manufacturer and purchased it themselves. NOT a knock-off or inferior product, it was the SAME product; they just sold it at a more reasonable price.

Knocking off a product is to copy the prop and the style in which it is presented. How many props out there are a basic "pop up"?? Is anyone who makes a prop that pops up knocking off their prop? Not if you take the initial concept and build your own version of it. Dressing or themeing it to look like the original is another matter.

Also you have to look at the original concept. Is it just a variation of existing concept or is it a new original concept?? Vacuform panels have been out there before and in other industries. There are several vendors handling panels. You just need to see which style, quality and price you prefer.

A true knock-off is usually a blatant copy of the original. It doesn't even bother to add a new twist or angle and is usually a cheaper version. Studio-Tek has had the Cage Maze wall system for a couple years. It is a concept that in reality any haunter could try and duplicate themselves. Problem is it is a LOT of work and it must be precise or as a system it fails. This year Haunted Enterprises brought in a cage maze. It this case it IS a knock-off. It was not a variation (say he had done a different style or pattern of a panel). It was an exact style copy, even the way it was promoted). And the product was cheaper and totally inferior. Attaching hardware was just a self tapping screw so you have no adjustment and real problems setting up year after year. Welds broke already and people got hurt at the show!! You DO get what you pay for!! That is the price of buying a knock off!!

The ONLY way we as an industry can put an end to this practice is to NOT support it!! Look carefully at any duplicated or non-original product. Look for the reason in the price difference. Buy the quality, not the rip off. If the knock-off doesn't sell it will go away! IF you keep supporting it, it continues. And the MAJOR problem with supporting the rip-offs and knock-offs is that it impedes the true creators and innovators from coming up with new and needed ideas. They will develop the attitude of "why bother...I'm just going to get ripped off!" And THAT is the real problem. Without this innovation we suffer and stagnate as an industry.

So all you innovators and originators keep the faith. Your ideas are welcomed and appreciated. All you "Knock-off Kings" out here...go get an original idea!!! Then see how you feel when someone knocks YOU off!!!
                R&J Productions
                Las Vegas, NV
                www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I very much agree but

Originally posted by RJ Productions View Post
                  Rip-offs, Knock-offs, duplication.....seems we have it EVERY year!! Our job is to stiff through and make decisions accordingly.

First off you can't really claim you are knocked or ripped off if you didn't actually CREATE or invent the product. Case in point is the Boom Stick debacle. I was not at TW last year, only heard about the product. This year I see several vendors with them. I looked and they were identical products. I questioned. The product was not "invented" by Digital Sound, merely FOUND. They purchased it and brought it to the show. Other vendors simply found the same manufacturer and purchased it themselves. NOT a knock-off or inferior product, it was the SAME product; they just sold it at a more reasonable price.

Knocking off a product is to copy the prop and the style in which it is presented. How many props out there are a basic "pop up"?? Is anyone who makes a prop that pops up knocking off their prop? Not if you take the initial concept and build your own version of it. Dressing or themeing it to look like the original is another matter.

Also you have to look at the original concept. Is it just a variation of existing concept or is it a new original concept?? Vacuform panels have been out there before and in other industries. There are several vendors handling panels. You just need to see which style, quality and price you prefer.

A true knock-off is usually a blatant copy of the original. It doesn't even bother to add a new twist or angle and is usually a cheaper version. Studio-Tek has had the Cage Maze wall system for a couple years. It is a concept that in reality any haunter could try and duplicate themselves. Problem is it is a LOT of work and it must be precise or as a system it fails. This year Haunted Enterprises brought in a cage maze. It this case it IS a knock-off. It was not a variation (say he had done a different style or pattern of a panel). It was an exact style copy, even the way it was promoted). And the product was cheaper and totally inferior. Attaching hardware was just a self tapping screw so you have no adjustment and real problems setting up year after year. Welds broke already and people got hurt at the show!! You DO get what you pay for!! That is the price of buying a knock off!!

The ONLY way we as an industry can put an end to this practice is to NOT support it!! Look carefully at any duplicated or non-original product. Look for the reason in the price difference. Buy the quality, not the rip off. If the knock-off doesn't sell it will go away! IF you keep supporting it, it continues. And the MAJOR problem with supporting the rip-offs and knock-offs is that it impedes the true creators and innovators from coming up with new and needed ideas. They will develop the attitude of "why bother...I'm just going to get ripped off!" And THAT is the real problem. Without this innovation we suffer and stagnate as an industry.

So all you innovators and originators keep the faith. Your ideas are welcomed and appreciated. All you "Knock-off Kings" out here...go get an original idea!!! Then see how you feel when someone knocks YOU off!!!
                  Most of all the duplications is junk but in the light of the boomstick their were four (4) people selling it this year @ TW and the cost of these things are nothing.. Can't be... Digital Sound sells them for $225, Fright props $99, Night Scream $159 I think.. One vendor I know for a fact was selling cases of 25 for $750. That's $30 each!!! and they are still making money. I appreciate someone selling the same thing at a lower price and making a little profit than someone raping haunters and making a killing (Pun Intended)

Comment

"Tourists" Like To See Things.

Here at the Ravens grin (OPEN EVERY NIGHT)- the state highway sign points them here 365 nights a year= tourist attraction!
                    Different things to be seen here! (Besides my face!)
                    I REALLY do try to not copy anybody else's stuff or ideas here. Call it my own pride and the desire to please those tourists who keep me financially $olvent!
                    I don't think that University Art Teachers would have been bringing their classes here to see my Wal-Mart Mask collection!
                    (Maybe Psych teachers ? "Class, this man is dulisional to the max!")
                    I doubt if all those various TV productions would have bothered to come either for those Wal-Mart masks.
                    I do constantly give credit to my former neighbor, mask-maker extrodinair, Jeremy Bohr whose works are seen here en-mass.
                    When you consciously "TRY" to create on your own, fantastic things can happen and you will like the feeling!
                    I feel life is way too short to waste it copying .
                    Is "Originality" simply the ability to "Mask" your sources?
                    Many have tried to figure out my "sources" not many have succeeded, including myself!
                    They just all float into my head about 6:58 AM. "This is what you do today, Jim!"
                    GO FOR IT! WHAT R U WAITING FOR?????
                    Enjoy.
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Midnight Studios

Originally posted by danglin View Post
                      Kyle's stuff always looks amazing, but he really outdid himself this year! His Lycans, Vampires and Demons all looked amazing. I literally went back to
                      his booth at least 25 times today to keep looking at everything. Each time I would notice another cool prop or costume that I had missed. By far, the
                      best looking stuff at the show!

Didn't get a chance to attend Transworld this year, as I am preparing for Monsterpallosa. Kyle is a good friend of mine, and I will see him in Pheniox and LA in a few weeks. I will say, Kyle, and B and Midnight Studios have came such a long way from 5 years ago when we first met. His stuff is unbeleiveable and up to the class of just not Haunters, and Collectors but movie quality. I proud to say not only are they good friends and clients but a class act in the Haunt and collector industry.

Michael Walter

Comment

ST. Louis (obviously) needs a wake up call or transworld- get out !!!!!

sitting here reading tons of posts, and the economy the way it is, why do you people put up with St. Louis ? You who attend should DEMAND a move. (and some respect!) You WOULD THINK Transworld (and others) would GO DIRECTLY to these "HOTELS" and hot spot restaurants and let these owners know that a big halloween show is coming here to St. Louis, and be on your best behavior.( be polite, give good service, etc.) For example: one post said the REN bar was so understaffed (supposedly one bartender for the throngs of haunters and their guests) and RUDE to boot. (who needs that crap?) especially for the price of the drinks) People got fed up and left after one drink, forced to go to the unsafe streets of downtown St. Louis looking for somewhere to go.(now that's scary !)

Guys made dinner reservations at one restaurant, looked forward to a nice dinner, and then got bumped for a larger party? WHO DOES THAT ? (why were these people not accomodated ?)

The "TALENTED" magic act "cleaning" staff at the MAYFAIR HOTEL who made Dan Augusto's $300 dollar jacket "magically appear" after he used the magic words "bitch and moan and complain" (as I would have) to FINALLY get his jacket back.
                        The only POSITIVE thing I read here was the Bar-B-Que joint a bunch of guys went to, and said the food was great and they had fun.
                        What about the $3.75 trans-pass you had to buy to travel to "Quarantine on 17" ripoff of whatever it was called? More black plastic and one zombie, please !

I could go on and on.... Where the HELL is the Chamber of Commerce ? Where is the Hospitality ? These businesses should be rolling out the RED CARPET to you people. They obviously don't want YOUR BUSINESS !!!

What about the ripoff vendors from last year who STILL have not delivered goods yet THIS YEAR? (I'm still waiting to hear form Shane to see if SCAREFACTORY made good on their promise to deliver) Don't even get me started on the BOOM STICK controversy.
                        I also read here that you had to watch where you went in the city of St. Louis. (remember it is the NEW MURDER CAPITAL of the U.S. !!! (what a great public relations gimmick !!! Guaranteed to DRAW new business !)

Hey, Folks, wise up, be safe, get your moneys worth, get some respect again, get a NEW LOCATION for the "DYING" transworld show. You know you want to see some NEW HAUNTS anyway.
                        Really interested to see just how successful NEXT YEARS' show is with all of the bad rap coming out of this one. You want costumes, it's Houston in January, EVERYBODY !!!!! I submit this post with respect to EVERYONE who is a hard working haunter. I have an idea what you go through, and I respect all of your hard work. (I could NEVER do what you folks do !) You deserve to get that RESPECT BACK. It obviously won't EVER happen in St. Louis.................

Comment

Well Said Chuck

sitting here reading tons of posts, and the economy the way it is, why do you people put up with St. Louis ? You who attend should DEMAND a move. (and some respect!) You WOULD THINK Transworld (and others) would GO DIRECTLY to these "HOTELS" and hot spot restaurants and let these owners know that a big halloween show is coming here to St. Louis, and be on your best behavior.( be polite, give good service, etc.) For example: one post said the REN bar was so understaffed (supposedly one bartender for the throngs of haunters and their guests) and RUDE to boot. (who needs that crap?) especially for the price of the drinks) People got fed up and left after one drink, forced to go to the unsafe streets of downtown St. Louis looking for somewhere to go.(now that's scary !)

Guys made dinner reservations at one restaurant, looked forward to a nice dinner, and then got bumped for a larger party? WHO DOES THAT ? (why were these people not accomodated ?)

The "TALENTED" magic act "cleaning" staff at the MAYFAIR HOTEL who made Dan Augusto's $300 dollar jacket "magically appear" after he used the magic words "bitch and moan and complain" (as I would have) to FINALLY get his jacket back.
                          The only POSITIVE thing I read here was the Bar-B-Que joint a bunch of guys went to, and said the food was great and they had fun.
                          What about the $3.75 trans-pass you had to buy to travel to "Quarantine on 17" ripoff of whatever it was called? More black plastic and one zombie, please !

I could go on and on.... Where the HELL is the Chamber of Commerce ? Where is the Hospitality ? These businesses should be rolling out the RED CARPET to you people. They obviously don't want YOUR BUSINESS !!!

What about the ripoff vendors from last year who STILL have not delivered goods yet THIS YEAR? (I'm still waiting to hear form Shane to see if SCAREFACTORY made good on their promise to deliver) Don't even get me started on the BOOM STICK controversy.
                          I also read here that you had to watch where you went in the city of St. Louis. (remember it is the NEW MURDER CAPITAL of the U.S. !!! (what a great public relations gimmick !!! Guaranteed to DRAW new business !)

Hey, Folks, wise up, be safe, get your moneys worth, get some respect again, get a NEW LOCATION for the "DYING" transworld show. You know you want to see some NEW HAUNTS anyway.
                          Really interested to see just how successful NEXT YEARS' show is with all of the bad rap coming out of this one. You want costumes, it's Houston in January, EVERYBODY !!!!! I submit this post with respect to EVERYONE who is a hard working haunter. I have an idea what you go through, and I respect all of your hard work. (I could NEVER do what you folks do !) You deserve to get that RESPECT BACK. It obviously won't EVER happen in St. Louis.................
                          I couldn't agree more.. My brother lives 45 minutes from there but I would even give up seeing him to go elsewhere. The service sucked in every restaurant we entered. I was told the main sports teams were not in town (football and baseball) so they fire all the waiters til the season comes back..
                          Your right it is time for change and the haunters who make this show along with the vendors should demand higher standards and make TransWorld move from this crappy part of the United States

Comment

too bad WWE RAW was this past monday and the BLUES SUCK

WWE for a laff. I love hockey, so I would have gone to see the BLUES anyway. (for things to do) thanks for your comments. I KNOW I'm not alone here in my thoughts. If something is wrong (big time) FIX IT !!!

Comment

your not wrong

WWE for a laff. I love hockey, so I would have gone to see the BLUES anyway. (for things to do) thanks for your comments. I KNOW I'm not alone here in my thoughts. If something is wrong (big time) FIX IT !!!
                              I discussed this very same topic with a good many vendors.. They all hate St. Louis and want it moved...

Comment

i can almost gaurentee this show would be 1000 times better in the city of philadelphia. down town has a ton of stuff to do. there is a ton of haunts to tour and the convention center is huge. not to mention it is the birthplaace of our nation, we could use a history lesson. throwing cities out there like dallas as a centeral location is well and good but centeral to who? this was our first TW and we loved it. i didnt love the 16+ hr drive there or the 19hr drive home but tw was good to us. ill say that the price for a 10x10 booth was astronomical and the union workers "fuck it i still get paid attitude" got old but we had fun. it doesnt matter where TW goes it is basicaly the go to show of any vendor so the buyers may be disapointed but in order to be successful as a vendor TW is the place to go.
                                Tim McCall

Comment

Working...
                                X