Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else worried about Transworld Show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlanta would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have Transworld here.....

I am sure there are several of us here in Atlanta that would open our haunts to the show... and I am draw a big gun here.... we have Netherworld!!! How bout it Ben... you and Billy interested in having the big party come to Atlanta?
    "What I need is more power and less *@^! from you people....... HEY....... who took my tiara of pain!!!"

Comment

It all goes back to purpose. As stated TW is an actual TRADE SHOW. It's purpose is to highlight the vendors and the product being sold. IF nothing sells the show dies, period. Amenities like haunt tours, seminars, gatherings and social functions are secondary. The focus is on the business of doing business. The rest of the shows are focused on the participants so they are a CONVENTION. Both have a valuable purpose and can co-exist nicely. You just have to realize the different purposes. Sure some vendors attend the conventions, but the main focus for sales is TW.

Vendors (if they are smart) visit sites like this to monitor the industry and its needs. Maybe we either start a thread of wants from the haunters, or Larry creates a new section on Vendor concerns. Here the haunters could voice concerns on what they want or need. Vendors can see the requests and then act on them. Some of the vendors are NOT haunters themselves so they must provide what they THINK haunters need! Sometimes that is good because you then tend to think outside the box. But many times haunters complaint the need are not met, but then again do not present those needs.

The show does need to be centrally located. I'm coming from the west coast, having to travel every time, but still acknowledge the need to be central. St. Louis has been a great location. But if people think it is time for a change you have to let TW know. They are in business to do business and will respond accordingly...IF they know the needs. But again, you can't just move the show because as haunters we think a city would be cool!! The main concern is the COST of doing business. Can they get the appropriate show space? Is it reasonable? What is the cost to move in and out of the show? Are there adequate rooms available and are they close enough? Are there enough other amenities in close proximity? (we all have to eat!!!) A lot goes into it. You can’t just say, move to XYZ because it’s close to your home are there is a cool haunt there you’d like to tour!! It has to make good BUSINESS sense!!

TW is responding. They created the Legendary Haunt Tour last year to KC to see the Beast and Edge of Hell. Monty, Amber and crew did a fantastic job and we all had a blast!! TW is continuing with a tour of Pennhurst and Terror Behind the Walls!! I’m not only going again this year, but bringing more people with!

SO it all boils down to letting the right people know your wants and concerns. Concerns with the show?? Let TW know! Concerns with the vendors? Let them know!! It’s all about communication!
      R&J Productions
      Las Vegas, NV
      www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Move it

Originally posted by Nightmaresgate View Post
        I am sure there are several of us here in Atlanta that would open our haunts to the show... and I am draw a big gun here.... we have Netherworld!!! How bout it Ben... you and Billy interested in having the big party come to Atlanta?
        I am in Alabama and would love to open up for this if it would ever come to Atlanta but I would settle for Nashville, just because of the aspect of being able to drive and to buy from the show floor and bring my stuff home with us....

Comment

Here is whats funny... this started off being worried about the retail side leaving. Then what city it should be located then the vendors dropped the ball now back to what city, then to vendors dropping the ball now back to what city... then maybe if we move to dallas rubies would come back.

WOW this is a mega coaster with all these twists and turns. I don't think I've ever seen a topic more off topic so many times.

1) Rubies will NEVER come back and second Rubies is in NEW YORK so why they would come if you move to Dallas I have NO CLUE!

2) What city the show is in again comes back to ONE THING cost ... you need three things here: CENTRAL LOCATION - LOW COSTS - GREAT ENTERTAINMENT near by to make the site attractive. I have been to Atlanta and it sucks... the convention center has nearly NO HOTELS no where close the place. Rub that one out totally. IAAPA use to go to Atlanta and it was the worst place period. Dallas has one of the worst convention centers I've ever seen part of it is in a parking garage but although Dallas is a great city its way more expensive and 8 to 10 hours MORE south for most of the haunts in America. We have more haunts in the midwest and east coast than ANYWHERE ELSE in America.

3) Retail fading: Yes its fading and no matter what you do they are not coming back unless they all get pissed off at this person or that person... I hope that TW can keep a hold on the ones they have because I loved the show including who they had brought. I thought the show was great and TW did a great job. If you want all out retail you have no choice now but go to HOUSTON... end of story.

4) Vendors dropping the ball: Yes overall it was a major let down it was more or less more of the same thing. There was some vendors who really did awesome others who where like okay and some it was like why did you come. Vendors need to start thinking out side that box and start a new line, like we've done animations for years now lets do this, or we've done puppets for who knows how long now lets do a 180, or we've done this or that lets try somethign new. We need people thinking way outside the box and that just didn't happen.

5) Lastly... this is a TRADESHOW it doesn't have to be fun or as fun as say MHC, it doesn't have to have tours, it doesn't have to anything but education and lots upon lots of vendors with things to sell YOU! This is a business to business event a change to learn, share and buy. It should be easy for everyone to attend, affordable, and as entertaining as possible. TW should continue to find new vendors, new educational idea's and more. The focus shouldn't be on FUN it should be on PUTTING as many vendors and buyers together and doing business. Right now I'd say everything is perfect and TW is doing ONE HELL OF A JOB!

No matter if you liked the show or didn't... KUDOS TO TW 110%.

And in case you didn't notice the city of St. Louis hung banners on street lights welcoming the Halloween Haunted House Industry. I thoguht that was pretty cool!!!

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

then my bad !! someone told me that Rubies was out of Houston ....

If it stays in St. Louis ....... maybe move dates to first week of April .... ?

ONLY because im a Cardinal Fan !!!! would be nice to see them play !!! LOL

Casey .......................... Creep House

Comment

The Rubies/Houston relation is that's where Rubies got the retail show to move to. As a retailer, I hadn't been to TW since the two shows split. I do 95% of my business at the Houston show. But this year I went to TW to see the haunt side of the show and see if there was anything new we could find for our customers. Since most haunt suppliers don't have wholesale pricing, there wasn't much for us to buy. I did place one order with a mask company and that was it. I breezed through the retail side of the show since any vendors we buy from we had already seen (and bought from) in Houston.

I would attend TW again for a couple of reasons. Since many of my customers are home haunters, I like to keep up on the trends in the industry. And two, as someone who loves haunted houses, it was a great bonus to get to attend the Lemp haunt while in town. Since I never have spare time in October, I rarely get to see any haunted houses, so this was great.

The only down side to St. Louis for me was airfare. I'm in MA and there are no direct flights from airports out here. If I could have flown into Chicago, I would have saved about $100. Houston is no better. I spend so much time travelling and making connections that I end up having to spend an extra night at a hotel because it's so hard to do all the travelling and see the show on the same day, so there goes another $100+. So from a buyer's perspective, a larger city whose airport services more cities with direct flights would be great. It saves time and money... which means I'm more likely to go to the show in the first place, and I'd have a little more to spend at the show.

And since this show isn't a must for my company to attend, the lack of additional things to do in the city or lack of haunts to see would definitely be a negative.

Comment

Couple things....

1) Rubies: Yes they are out of New York and always have been. They also exhibit at Toy Fair in New York another cool show you should attend. Rubies helped back a new retail show which set up shop in Houston because of weather... even they hated the Chicago winter. They wanted the show even earlier so moving it back to January they wanted a city that would have somewhat warm weather so they choose Houston... Chicago, St. Louis or basically anything north of New Orleans, Orlando, or well Houston was out of the question.

2) Airfare: This is NOT a St. Louis problem its a nationwide thing with a few exceptions like say Chicago or LA. All these airlines downsized so they are doing more stops than ever before its just how they do it now. When St. Louis had TWA based here direct flights where normal now only a handful of cities can boast about direct everywhere and even then there are very few now. I suggest you fly SWA because they have a HUB here in St. Louis with their very own terminal you can get in and out in minutes. Its great.

3) Date of the Show: You know I would agree with you there... I think move it back would be better personally. I heard a lot of vendors saying it was tough on them to get everything done in time, I know it was tough on us. I agree lets move it back into first weekend of April. I'm cool with that.

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President

Comment

I am going to put this from my view… since it is the only one I have…..

First: Last time I was interested or attended TW was its last year in Chicago. I have missed several years and gone from a manager crew guy to an event owner over that time. If what I saw this year was what the show has become, I am going to go checkout the other shows. Not to knock St Louis, I love visiting St Louis.... go Blues!!... but the show was a shadow of the Chicago show I was expecting to see.

Second: I came with several thousand planned to spend, and spent hundreds. The show actually talked me out of buying things. It was just not an atmosphere conducive to making me purchase. I might be the weird one, but outside of a small number of vendors the show was not a good use of my time. To make matters worse there was WAY too much duplication of product. I know there are other threads on copy cat vendors, but come on. If it wasn't for my soon to be purchase from Dark Raven it would be a total wasted weekend.

I am not trying to pick sides, but I left thinking I could miss it for another four or five years and be fine.
                  http://www.innerfears.com/
                  http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

So Screamline,
                    what got the bug up YOUR ass??? Haven't you read any of the other threads in this regard??? MHC, NHC, Hauntcon...all good shows for what they have focused on...being a CONVENTION. TW on the other hand focuses on being a TRADE SHOW. One focuses on the participants, the other the vendors. We go to TW to conduct BUSINESS. We go to the others to have fun and maybe learn a little. The vendors can NOT support a show in May, June, July... there is NOT enough time to constuct and deliver merchandise. Many vendors even stop producion by July.

I asume you have somehing to do with MHC and that's fine. But NONE of the shows will replace TW as it now stands. It's just a matter of economics.

As far as comments on the size of the show I would have to differ. IF you count I believe we have more HAUNT vendors than we have had in the past.
                    You can not compare the show with what was put on in Rosemont when Rubies and everyone still attended. The Haunt side was a lot SMALLER!! SInce most haunters either could not or would not even use the Halloween/Party side what is the point??? I never ordered from Rubies, Paper Plus, and the lot. First they didn't really have anyhing I needed, second I could never attend any minimum orders. I don't need 2 dozen sexy nurse costumes!!

Unless like what happened with Rubies, you got all the major Haunt Vendors to switch to another show it will not happen. . You can't even get them to stop knocking off each other! Either way it would have to remain in the same time frame. So instead of spinning our wheels in this fashion, doesn't it make sense to make what ever minor correction are necessary to make TW the best it can be???

To be honest TW did get complaisant and that's a contributing factor to the Halloween/Party situation. The good result is that we have grown beyond "red headed step child" to become a major concern. TW needs to address issues and keep the show viable. Good news for us!!

And as far as your "hardon" for Larry making so much money off the show being in St. Louis... I can tell you have never been involved in any haunt tour of this level. It is more work than you can even imagine!! You sound like the guy who stands in our lines on Halloween night and complains that we must be "rolling in dough"!! If it were only true!! You bust your ass, spend a ton of money, then get people who want to do nothing but complain. For all the good this industry has to offer, there is still a lot of dumb ass attitudes.
                    R&J Productions
                    Las Vegas, NV
                    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Transworld

Ok, I figured I jump in here, just for a brief moment. I have gone to Transworld shows since they first started way way back in the day. In my time Ive missed 2 shows, one this year, and one back in 2009, when they made the move to St.L So I can say I do concider myself an expert on the matter to some degree. Ive talked with these guys several times when it was in Chicago. My home town.

First off if people dont know, this all started, back a few years ago, when the show was in Chicago. The lease was up on the convention center, and they had to make a move. So they picked Vegas. It was the last gathering of the big boys, together. Of course Vegas was about the stupidest place you could have a convention. It was more party time than business. Alot of people suffered. Then it the costume people went thier own way. Like Rubies, Cal costume, and few others. They had thier own show (Houston.) The costume people attended, but after two years of that crap they returned back to TW. But the damage has been done. One said, Rubies will nver come back, and they had alot of pull, they also spent alot of money with TW. But so much has changed over the last 5 years. This show will nver be what it once was, no matter what. The alot of vendors have made thier mark in the world, and went thier own direction. They dont need Transworld anymore. Unit 70, Lafond FX, both who are good friends of mine. Magee FX the client I represent. Prop Masters who went out of business. Bump in the Night, Horror Dome also went solo, To name a few and theres alot more. Chicago was so big at one time, it was unreal. It would take 3 days to see the show, in all reality.

As far as Rubies and Cinn Secrets and Cal Costume and all those NOBS. Their the ones who objected to the Haunt people. Why. Well one thier a wholesale business, sellign to retail markets. Your not buying 10,000 worth of clown costumes for your Haunt. The stuff they did sell, haunters wanted wholesale prices. The costume people felt, they should pay retail. So this debate went on and on, and on. You can still debate it, but this is what started it, combined with the lease issues in Chicago, and well, one year thier were 3 shows. ALL 3 SUCKED! A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL I dont care what anyone says about we can do our own thing, thats crap. You can but the more the btter, and trust me, it was alot better 7 years ago in Chicago, than any show over the last 5 years ANYONE! Theres reasons why epople leave. So understand that..As far as the BIG 3, no not Wade, LeBron and Bost, Rubies, Cinn Sec, and Cal Costume well....

Those people will never be back. I remember when thier was mini haunted houses, and facets so big it took up a hafe a wall. Distortions attends, but thier booth size is about the smallest one could imagin. They use to have 20 booths, giant flying saucers, and so many animatronics, you could snap 50 pictures, and still not cover them all. Morris took up almost a whole 2 sections, now your lucky if they have 3 booths. Rubies had the biggest spot, and Cinn Secrets both who went thier own way to Houston.
                      You think Scarefactory is big, when they first started they had 4 booths, they increased to a whole room, now thier back down to almost, not quite but almost what they started with. Even with the costume people back, its not the same, they have lost alot. What they have left, vendors have bought pretty much the bare min booth. Its easier to just go on the net to look them up and make an order. Saves vendor time, and the people time and money. Yeah its cool in person but those days are numbered. So all you new people, visiting Transworld, thats nothing, compared to what was about 6-7 years ago. Mutiply that by 50x the thrill...

Worried, yeah Id be worried. I myself was worried when they went to Vegas, the first year Unit 70 said by by.
                      As far as spot. Forget it. If they make a move it be back to Chicago, which really is not a bad idea. Chicago was fun, and alot to do. I know Larry will argue his St.L, but 90 miles is no difference. The only difference is thiers no Darkness in Chicago. So I can see why people would object to it. Thiers Reapers lol.

You will always get a debate, on area. But, this has already been discussed long before the St.L days. Chicago issues is Rosemount and the price of the lease. Vegas is NO GOOD! Too Far for most and to much other crap going on. This is not a bike show or car show. It must be Central. Because of Weather it has to be Chicago, St.L or Indy. Indy too small. Atl is possible, but still bit far.
                      Orlando too far, good idea though. Dallas is no better in distance than Orlando, or Atlanta. Also it has to be March. This cancels out Orlando, NC, Dallas, as they already looked into that, convention center booked. Doing it in Feb is too early, they thought of that. But it would work for Chicago, although Feb in any Central state is brutal. Hell Even fFlorida it was Brutal this year. So these are all thing to concider, and its not as easy as people think.

My suggestion, is voice your opinion to TW, because its the people who make the show. Voice your opinion to Vendors as they will listen to thier clients. Then take it from there...

Hope that helps.

Comment

Couple things here...

First your last two posts are deleted for profanity and worse.

Secondly, NO ONE said MHC isn't a good show and in reality your non-sense doesn't help their show with all your tirades. The fact is if you actually TALK to the owners of MHC which I have many times they will tell you their goal isn't to be like TW, they want to focus on actors, haunt tours, and stuff like this. TW focus is on the business to business what your issue is with that I don't know. Your ranting and raving doesn't have anything to do with the goals of MHC... talk to the freakin owner man then realize you don't speak for them and never will (THANK GOD)!

Speak for yourself and stop giving MHC a bad name with all your rants against TW.

Once again it seems people can't have a debate or conversation about anything without someone going over the edge.

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

True or Not?

I seem to recall that first Transworld " lost-lease" problem happened because someone "Forgot" to arrange it.
                          Someone told me, who I thought would know.
                          Maybe not???
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I can't believe people are still talking about Transworld in Chicago. Rosemont was a terrible place for the convention there was nothing to do and no where to go eat. The closest place to walk to to grab a bit was a nasty Denny's. There is nothing wrong with St Louis. The city does DIE at night but you just have to know where to go to find food. Don't be afraid to venture away from the Ren Grand at night!

DA

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                              I can't believe people are still talking about Transworld in Chicago. Rosemont was a terrible place for the convention there was nothing to do and no where to go eat. The closest place to walk to to grab a bit was a nasty Denny's. There is nothing wrong with St Louis. The city does DIE at night but you just have to know where to go to find food. Don't be afraid to venture away from the Ren Grand at night!

DA
                              Yeah! Don't worry about going out and around the Ren Grand at night.. Check out this link

http://spotcrime.com/mo/st.+louis

Comment

another haunter wanting to move the show

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

DA
                                This is from another haunter on the professional haunt side that quoted..
                                "The only thing I would like to see change next year is location". I have seen The Darkness a few times now and, as glorious as it is, I am ready to move on to new tours. Unfortunately, I am too busy to visit HauntCon or MidWest, so I don't get to visit other haunted houses much.
                                Last edited by Slain; 03-16-2011, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X