Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My own Transworld '11 experience, photos included

Evening all,

I just thought that I would take a moment, and tell you about my experience as a non-professional. This was our second year at TW. Last year we drove down after I got out of work on Friday night and left Sunday afternoon. So we tried to shove the entire experience into about 36 hours. It didn't work so well! lol This year we did it right. We drove down Tuesday afternoon and got into town late Tues evening. That gave us time to check into the hotel, relax, order a pizza (If you haven't tried Imos pizza while there, you must do so next year! VERY good pizza), and get to bed early, or try to at least.

Wednesday we did the speed seminars. They were all interesting, and we both learned something from each. Well, with the exception of one, not sure if that person lurks here & to spare that persons feelings, I won't name the seminar. But from speaking to others lately, we weren't the only one that felt that particular seminar could have been so very much better. Unfortunately though, it was during the second to last seminar that my son called. He is 16 years old and spent the week with grandpa. He backed my car into a pole, it now needs a whole new bumper. Lovely... so that put a damper on the last seminar for me!

Thursday we had two classes, Make Your Haunt Look Like a Hollywood Horror Movie. Loved that one! Very interesting and we got a ton of info from it. After, we bumped into Bob Kurtzman (the speaker of the class and of Creature Corps) and had the pleasure of speaking to him for 15-20 minutes. It was very refreshing to be able to speak to him one on one, he wasn't rushed, very relaxed atmosphere, and let us pick his brain.

The second class we attended on Thurs was Allen's How to Scare the @#$% Out of Anyone! This turned out being my favorite class of the weekend. Allen did a great job engaging the class, was very funny, and very informative. I would have been perfectly fine if the class was two or three hours long, I am sure that Allen had plenty more to share with us. BTW, Allen, if you read this, I just read the article you wrote for Haunt World magazine on using stilts in a haunt. Great article and made me want to learn!

Thursday night we attended the Darkness behind the scenes tour. It was an incredible experience to be able to take our time going through the haunts, to be able to take photos, and really check out the detail of the haunts. Like others said, it wasn't what we expected though. Enough has been said on that so I won't continue. But I really did enjoy it, especially The Darkness. I had some issues in Terror Vision, 3D & I don't mix. I have depth perception issues, so something like that immediately makes me nauseous & gives me a rip roaring migraine. It was SO well done though, the paint was incredible. I did look through the 3D glasses a few times to get the full effect and I was blown away. Lemp was neat, that seems more like the traditional haunted house with lots of gore. The atmosphere is fantastic though, and is the perfect place for a haunt!

Friday we did two more classes, Airbrush Makeup for Haunted Attractions. Blair was great, made it seem so easy! Airbrushing is something that both my mother and I have experience in, we both have art backgrounds. But it has been so long since either of us actually picked up an airbrush, that this was a good refresher and a great way to pick up tips.

Our second class was The Art and Science of Foam Carving. Mike and the other gentleman speaking did a really good job. We both have a bit of experience with foam carving, so this was perfect for spring boarding ideas for it and learning new things. I think we both came away wanting to go and play right away.

Friday night was Dan Sperry! He was good, not quite what I expected, but still a lot of fun. For some reason, I was thinking his act would be darker, more intense maybe. I did enjoy every moment of it (especially where the girl went through him, HOW do they do that??? LOL). I also came away with a free DVD of his, I was the second one chosen to be on stage with him! Very fun, though I felt like a big goober the whole time lol

Saturday, thankfully, we only had one class, LED Lighting for Dark Attractions. This one was ok for me. I know that my mother got a whole lot more out of it than I did. She owns an LED light business, so her knowledge of LED lighting is incredible. I know some, ok, just a tiny bit, from working with her on things. Honestly, to me it felt like it was more an hour long advertisement for their business. Yes, I did learn though, and I did take a lot of notes, so I would consider that $40 well spent.

Thursday and Friday we were unable to really check out the show floor. We did a bit here and there, but didn't have much time between classes. So Saturday & Sunday we went full out and had a great time!!!! There are so many fantastic booths we visited, that I could begin to name them. Gore Galore is always a stand out for us. Last year my mother bought one of their giant costumes, the Goblin. We have been *very* happy with it! I did see the comments on the other thread about Dreamscape ripping off Gore Galore's ideas. The only thing that I am going to say about that is Gore Galores stalkers are SO much better than Dreamscapes. BUT... I will say that Dreamscapes harness is much better. I tried one on, and I had no problems with it at all, very light weight, very well made. Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is I suppose...

Sunday we did get to meet Tate from Face Off. Such a genuinely nice man! Meeting him, along with Bob Kurtzman, earned me some cool points in my sons eyes lol

I am sorry that we didn't get the opportunity to meet more of you. We did go to the Ren bar Tuesday night, but left after one drink. Wow, the bartender makes them STRONG! lol Well worth the $ We were tired from the drive, and only had $1 worth of quarters so couldn't stay more than an hour. I did get the opportunity to meet Allen while roaming around on Saturday, unfortunately he seemed to be in a hurry, as were we. We did meet a gentleman behind us while in The Darkness (Hi David!) though I wasn't able to catch his user name here. He traveled from Canada to attend TW this year. Very interesting speaking to him, and he was kind enough to move some of the nasty bodies hanging from the ceiling out of my way at one point lol

All in all, it was a fantastic trip. We met some great people, learned a LOT, had a great time, came home with some interesting items, am expecting more to be delivered, and am mulling over a lot more. I *really* wanted a Neck Biter from Gore Galore, and Kevin offered me a great deal. But I had the image of the coming up invoice in my head to fix the bumper, and just wasn't comfortable spending the money. Hopefully in the next month or so I will be able to pull the trigger and get one home to me!

Anyway, enough of the book here! I uploaded all of my photos to Picasa, so the links below will take you there.

The Darkness & Terror Vision

Lemp Brewery

Day 2-4
    Tyra

~Reality is only for those with no imagination~

Im very glad you enjoyed the class. It was alot of fun to put together. I love the psychology of haunting that some people ignore. Its rare to get feedback on a class so thanks for letting me know. Im very passionate about haunting and I hope that comes through when I speak.
    again thanks for the feed back,
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Great pics, Thanx for sharing......
      Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Allen, I truly loved the class!!! It was very interesting hearing the psychology behind fears and how to best play with them. Psychology has always been a big interest of mine though, currently in school for it as well. Anytime you are speaking again, be sure to let us know. I would be interested in attending again for sure!

Originally posted by bodybagging View Post
        Great pics, Thanx for sharing......
        You are very welcome!

I know I wrote a book, and apologize. There seemed to be a few (at least!) that wasn't able to attend and was looking for info and photos, so I figured I would accommodate them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Tyra

Comment

Hi Tyra

Hello Tyra;

My name is David and I was the guy behind you as you and your mom went through The Darkness. I am indeed from Canada. Edmonton Alberta to be more specific. (Do a search of Haunts in Alberta here on Hauntworld and you will find mine: Knights Of Terror.) I just wanted to say that it was a delight to meet you and I would be happy to move any other dead bodies out of your way!

Comment

Originally posted by David Wasyk View Post
            Hello Tyra;

<snip>..... I would be happy to move any other dead bodies out of your way!
            Best pick up line evar!!

jk
            missjayne
            Netherworld Haunted Attractions
            http://www.fearworld.com/

Comment

Pick up lines

Thanks Miss Jayne;

I'll add it to my collection including "Can I help you with that axe?" and "You can't fool me, I know that gun isn't loaded!"

Comment

Originally posted by Banshee View Post
                Best pick up line evar!!

jk
                Only in the haunt world would an offer to move dead bodies be the perfect pick up line lol
                Tyra

Comment

Working...
                X