No announcement yet.

Dream Scape Studios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah Ben, the large skeleton like creature with the big green eyes is similar to an effect Haunted Hoochie used to use with 2 large animated skulls that would hit the side of a cage. The face is also a little like the massive corpse puppet they have that rises and talks.
    Spooky Wishes
    Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

Why is this thread still going on? The poor troll is going to die of old age.

This entire thread is ridiculous. As are the people whining about copying/not copying.

Thanks for ignoring my first post completely.

Shane, you're one of those people. I stood up for you in the past, and I thought you were a really cool guy, especially since on these forums you mentioned you would gladly donate, and since I wasn't able to make it to your party but loved Dan Sperry that you'd send over an autograph and t-shirt. Neither ever happened, and every time
      I call you always tell me something's going on and you never call back or you give me the "hey call in 5" *calls* "hey call in 30" and I'll do everything you say over and over, you never call back after asking me to call you at a certain time. That's cruel. Just say no, or that you don't want to, but don't go out of your way to make me do stuff that I don't even get anything out of because I volunteer to do everything I do and give every penny away to the American Cancer Society. You lost so much respect from me, but I hope you enjoyed your cheap laugh.

And for everyone who is whining about copying (back on track now) there is NOTHING wrong with expanding our industry by having two companies selling the same type of product. An artist doesn't need to change just because someone else hired him. The guy does cool stuff. Hopefully more companies make those kinds of puppets so we can see different styles, faces, outfits, stuff like that! Relax and take a chill pill, you're all upset over nothing but spilt milk.

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by bhays View Post
        I have written and deleted three messages, but I know my position will fall on a deaf ear with this crowd. That said, I feel compelled to say something.

This industry, in a lot of ways, makes me sick. The extent to which we will circle the wagons to defend sleazy business practices and underhanded individuals is beyond comprehension.

Anyone who saw those two products knows it's a blatant rip off... end of story.

Why do we all take these silly positions.. is it because we all feel we're in glass houses due to using scene ideas we see in someone else's haunt, etc? That's going to happen.. just make sure you put your own twist on it and improve it. Same with products.

If your products look so much like an established vendor's products that it's obvious you either stole the molds or put a lot of effort into making an exact duplication.. you're a sleazebag douche...

That said, this dead horse is now fully beaten. Let's move on.
        Brett I hear ya and I am moving on myself. I made my point I was on the phone at 1AM on this and it's time to say. Guys I am sleepy and it's clear what I had to say failed to have an impact. My point was that DS had a chance to make a difference and my suggestion to them was to distance themselves and go a direction to make it their own. I know that, you know that ( thats why I was up so late!) I think Elvis even knows what I was trying to say!!! All that happened is a DS pretty much has said " We will ripp off anything and anyone we want for the all mighty dollar" their tone and attatude has shown that here. Ok fine from this point we will see how long this will last. In looking back if they were such a good company why would they have the need to add something else that someone else was doing.

I am SO GLAD everyone has seen where they stand and what morals they have. Kevin I don't know if your reading this or not but by you not coming here and feeding this has shown us all what kind of a vendor and what morals you have. It's very clear they tied their own rope around their neck. From this point I could care less if they fall flat on their ass. I honestly wanted to see them out of this mess because I thought some of their items were cool even though I had no real reason to use them but ya never know what might catch my eye. I never bought anything big from Kevin till I seen his puppet monster ( its not a costume) and I am like FINALLY I can spend some big money with you and I did. In writing this I realize I may have given DS a reason to copy the puppet monster next. I mean after all it's their moto " You build it, We copy it, We can, We will, and the hell with you all! Shane and it's I made my point! Guys we will talk more other than on this thread! Shane
        sigpic

Comment

Comment

Shane who??

Point taken and thanks but we aren’t going anywhere and you can expect to see more from us as there aren’t any ropes tied around any necks here. Our product speaks for itself in so many ways even if the same sculptor sculpted it; it’s what’s on the inside that you are missing… Actor operated pop out goat head hmm now there’s an idea, think we have all seen it before in one way or another only difference here is there is a goat head that our sculptor Jake Rich sculpted and assembled. Here’s where you put your two cents in Shane “Mr. know it all” so if we make one are we copying it or as Larry pointed out did someone else copy it. It doesn’t matter we will make what we want in our own way if we feel it will sell, that’s business. Better run and get a patent on your ideas and products because according to Shane we will copy whatever, what a joke this guy is with his cheesy one line comments at the end of his posts. Get some new lines Shane and go jump on another band wagon and start a new argument. We have work to do and have said our last bit on this matter.

Comment

Yawns

I do wonder if he was such a hit at the show then why is he here and not making products? It appears Kevin is to busy filling orders at Gore Galore to be here crying. DS's has lived here since this thread was started. Time will tell, time will tell! Kevin again I will be doing more business with you in the future just because of the way you have handled this thread. Class man you got class and hell ya know I may try and compete with DS next year! Would yall like to see that? I mean hell after all anyone and everyone can! Right? I can put my money where my mouth is! Here is a line for ya! Shane and it's make something ORIGIONAL! Shane

Its Shane Dabbs and not some screen name Fear At It's Best with 12 post and all of them here defending under the belt tatics. What if your full name and position in the Company so we all know?
              Last edited by graystone; 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Keep ignoring everything I posted about you Shane, it's cool.

Comment

Real quickly... I'm NOT endorsing what so ever people copying another vendor NO WAY! I'm not endorsing a haunt to copy another haunt or a vendor to copy a vendor or a haunt to copying a vendor by NOT buying the product and making it themselves.

You know when of the biggest frauds about this industry is people going to shows and then copying it point blank and never buying anything from the vendor. Yeah I think its all an outrage!

We've had our industries best selling air cannon copied part for part then re-sold as a cheaper price... you dont' think that didn't piss us off???

I think my point on this issue is this...

This industry has so much copying going on its become common place, so to beat up one vendor is the outrage! I didn't see their product line so I don't kinow what it is they ripped off how blantant it really is... can someone post pictures or a link?

I do want to mention that this industry has very few original idea's left or at least it seems that way. As I pointed out you can trace almost everything back to something else... almost nothing is new and you can almost always show how this vendor took this idea someone else was selling and made their own versions.

Its just a fact!

In the case of Gore Galore he has his own original idea's for those creature and as I stated the first time those are his idea's and no one should steal them, but the concept of walking around monsters is not... anyone can make them we can trace them back years back even before a haunt bought one.

I'm still wanting to see how blantant the theft was... can someone take a picture of a Gore Galore and put it side by side with a new one from this other company?

Post some pictures and lets see just how close they really are...

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Ben, these are awesome!

BTW, great seminar at TW... we really enjoyed your presentation on costuming.

Jim

Originally posted by Speculo View Post
                    The costume Larry refers to is the Reaper - When I worked for Silo X I had about 10 or so commisioned maybe 17-18 years ago and it was made by a Special Effects artist named Bruce Larsen. It still Rocks! ( Cannot find a photo now will post later...)

The Biting Head is the Mega Mouth, was made by Keith Korner and Sam Horner. We have totally rebuilt and rethemed ours several times. The major credit belongs to EREBUS however who created the biting puppet mouth first as far as I know.

We also have another giant biting head called PUG created by Haunted Hootchie Artist David Basham.

We also have other things like a giant hand we made in house ( Seen with RED HEAD by Basham from the Hoochie)

I think Gore Galore did a great job on the Goat head ( designed for House of Shock) and now the giant biting puppet will become mainsteam. We would have gotten one but no space ( We are Hoarders!)

Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8755[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8756[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8757[/ATTACH]
                    Jim Shackelford, Co-Owner
                    Haunt 2013, LLC
                    and
                    The House of Boo
                    Dallas, TX
                    www.haunt2013.com
                    www.thehouseofboo.com

Comment

competition

My 2 cents. Not to long ago there was a thread trashing Scarefactory (late shipping, bad welds, faulty circuitboards, etc) and my statement was this "Everyone still buys from Scarefactory because they are unique, so this allowed them to ship late, ship faulty, ship something that you knew as a consumer that you would have to fix". I said this would continue until someone made the Grand animatronics at a lower cost, better product, or better service. If Dreamscapes studios ponied up and hired the artist away from Gore Galore that was good business. Artists by there very nature have a certain style that will follow them. So unless the artist walked out of Gore Galore with the moulds for the costumes then it is inevitable that there will be similarities. Dreamscapes has stated that the entire undercarriage is different and improved...now what do you think will happen 1. This will cause Gore Galore to redesign their under carriage to keep up. 2. Gore Galore had to hire another artist to replace the one that left the company (so the new artists style will be Different ie Gore Galores product will still be different). Nobody wants someone to do the same thing that they are doing because it causes you to be on your "A" game and continue to improve. As a consumer I am going for the best value, best product, and best service. If you have all 3 you win the game if you dont you struggle. Just my opinion if you dont agree, then that is your opinion and I will respect it.

Comment

So talked on the phone with Shane just a few minutes ago, wanted to update for those peering into the situation I posted about, and we both had a good healthy talk. He saw where I was coming from, and I got a little look into the life of Shame Dabbs and learned more about the current situation regarding Gore Galore and DS, needless to say we both settled the dust and are cool. Plus he's still donating some very nice stuff. This hasn't been the easiest week on me, and I've been just pushed through so many obstacles in these past two days and I definitely spoke more harshly than I should have, but he still apologized for the lack of communication. I can't be much happier regarding current situations, this was a nice ending to an otherwise not-awesome day lol.

Comment

Hello where can we see both of the products from, that are being mentioned here , thanks

Comment

Dream Scape Studios has photos of theirs on their Facebook page... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dream...5236272?ref=ts

Gore Galore has theirs on their website... http://www.gore-galore.com/costumes.php
                            Jim Shackelford, Co-Owner
                            Haunt 2013, LLC
                            and
                            The House of Boo
                            Dallas, TX
                            www.haunt2013.com
                            www.thehouseofboo.com

Comment

Gore Galore's costumes are obviously better quality. They're similar, but both companies design their costumes much differently. So, I don't really understand the big thread about Dreamscape completely copying off of Gore Galore. It looks like the costumes were inspired by Gore Galore.
                              Spooky Wishes
                              Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

I took a look... sorry I don't see it. So what if they are selling their own stalk around costumes, the idea doesn't belong to Gore Galore, they didn't invent them. Where is the rants saying someone ripped off all those costumes made for parades for decades, or ExMortis who really made these popular... or as I and Ben pointed out that company who was making them nearly 20 years ago...

To be honest I think Gore Galore looks better but they are not rip offs c'mon now.

Where is the rips about all the companies making animations, or selling masks, or now the umpteen different companies now selling silicone masks... didn't hear a word there.

These are their own sculpts and in all honest not great but in all honestly all these oversizes ones aren't the greatest because they are so big... I guess that is how they are suppose to look.

I do NOT think anything was ripped off... now on the other hand if the took Gore Galore idea's on exactly how to make them that is different. I didn't look inside so I have no clue... if they took those idea's down to the last bolt that is different.

I'm just going to by the sculpts and they don't appear to me to be the same.

Larry
                                Larry Kirchner
                                President
                                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Working...
                                X