looking for a little insite on Trailer haunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a little insite on Trailer haunts

I attended the Trailer seminar at Trans. I am in a position to pick up a couple trailers for next to nothing. I was wondering if anyone has a copy of a trailer floorplan and or how you "attach" these trailers for a side attraction. I am not going to get it done this year but i am thinking f next. Thanks for any insite you may have. A floorplan would be great.
    Buck
    Capt.Chaos
    Fear Asylum Haunted House
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

A floorplan is of little use if it doesn't fit YOUR attraction.
    That would be like, "Larry, I want to do an indoor haunt, can I see the Darkness' floorplan?"
    His floorplan wouldn't fit my location or theme.

Trailer haunts, like any other style should be designed with the theme in mind from the "scare, up".
    Figure out what rooms you want and the sequence, then what scares are in each room, then how
    the space can accomodate those criteria.

If you aren't opening this season I would suggest visiting a couple trailer haunts and getting a first
    hand view.

Good luck
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I agree RJ. But what I am saying is I dont even know how a guy lines up the trailers to get started in this possible project. I am looking for a little insite into how this is done. I wont be able to visit a possible trailer haunt until next Nov. and I need to make a few decisions before then. So if you would be kind enough to give me a rough idea of how this is done that would help before I have the chance to get to Vegas and visit yours in Nov.

Thanks

Buck
      Capt.Chaos
      Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=semi+trailer+haunted+house
        Zach Wiechmann
        www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

GEEEEZ! Why didn't I think of that.....Google. Thanks Zach!
          Capt.Chaos
          Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

hi, it might be helpful to look up a past issue of Hauntworld Magazine. The issue focused on Vegas and had a huge article by Rich Strelak on how to build a trailer haunt. The issue came out around June of 2008

Comment

Im sorry you havent gotten much help yet. It is my habit to assume every poster has googled their question.
              I googled the hell out of it and I could not find an image of a lay out. If you plan on going to West Coast haunt con I know hytsteria city will be there and they do trailer haunts. They had a model there last year and it showed the layout pretty well.
              http://www.hysteriacity.com/ they were nice guys and Im sure they would be willing to help you a bit.
              I have been in and to plenty of trailor haunts I will whip up how I would do a layout and post it here in a bit. I really like a three or four trailor design and my floor plan will reflect that.

Perhaps your question should have been How the hell do you make a tiny trailor into an interesting haunt? I know it can be done, but I think you are referring to the particular challenge of making twists turns and rooms in a space that is only 8' wide.
              I will post an image soon.
              Allen H
              www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Hi there, listen I will help you as much as I can. My haunt is a trailer haunt. I have 4 - 45 foot long trailers. They lie in parallel to each other. There are many ways to position your trailers but I had to use the area I had to the best available. The first 2 trailers are 4 feet apart with 3 hallways built connecting them. Trailer 2 and 3 are 14 ft apart and have 1 -14 ft long hallway connecting them. The 3rd and 4th trailer are 16 feet apart and have 1 -16 foot hallway connecting them. Now I use the area in between trailers 2 and 3 and 3 and 4 for more scenes. My customers have to walk down in between trailers 2 and 3 where they go through the meat cellar and the wine cellar. They then walk up into the master bedroom then take the long hallway into trailer 4 where there are 3 large rooms. All my electrical runs underneath the trailers in conduit. Each trailer has it's own sub panel that is mounted on a pole at the front, outside. I would be more then happy to help explain further. Way to much to type here. You can call me. 903-918-3889. My email is terrormasue@yahoo.com Rich is correct in that you need to decide what you are want to build, ie. manor, asylum etc... Mine is a manor so I have rooms like a house would have. Den, kitchen, bedrooms, study, living room etc...Lots of hallways, get your people moving back and forth. Make up for the lack of "area" with linear "walking feet". They won't have a clue what trailer they are in. My friends that come over have no idea where they are at any one time. Trailers are narrow so you have to be real creative. I do like the closeness though. The height of the trailers are a very nice 9 ft. They are limiting however. You need to depend a great deal on your actors. Hard to get big pneumatics inside. Give me a call! I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about trailers....LOL!

Sue
                http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

Allen......as usual thank you! I will look forward to your layout. Sue, I will get in touch with you. Thanks for the help. Google? Is this a new thing? LOL

Buck
                  Capt.Chaos
                  Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

I have wondered a bit about this type of haunt too. where do you store your trailers?
                    Sue do you have pictures yo can share ( gabba5@juno.com)? if you have to move these trailers how much does that cost

Comment

The site I mentioned earlier has some great videos, Im working on my diagram but It wont be done tonight. There is actually a fun video series on this page about the building of their trailor haunts, it can olny help.
                      http://www.hysteriacity.com/id116.html
                      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Just be advised the video is not an actual construction video but modeled after the Monster House TV show. He video tapes guys working all day on one small aspect, then "over night master haunter Scott completed trailer one and everything in trailer two" !!! Can you say movie magic?? Scott unfortunately didn't last too long in this market. He tried to market quanity by calling each trailer a seperate haunt! The Hysteria City concept touted things such as the Hotel, Jail, Meat packing plant, and several others. But these were not individual haunts, but merely rooms or scenes within the one haunt. Not as a slam but as a lesson, trailer haunts are already small by nature. Provide as much "bang for their buck" or your audience goes elsewhere!

Had a longer post with pictures, that one quick keystroke sent to computer no man's land!!!Poof!!! Gone!!!! Just wanted to comment on this link first then I'll rewrite the other!! Scott is a really nice guy, in trying to be different he forgot that it is the audience that is most important, and they ALWAYS know best.
                        R&J Productions
                        Las Vegas, NV
                        www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

OK so now I rewite the other…. Capt. Chaos, as stated there is no real “right” way to build a trailer haunt. One thing must be decided first. Is this a MOBILE attraction built in trailers or a permanent attraction built USING trailers? If you are building a mobile attraction as we have, the key is you have to MOVE everything. That means every ramp, bridge, staircase, façade piece and skirting that is outside the attraction has to either be attached or transported to the site. Larry has a killer façade on his trailer haunt at Creepy World. It is basically a stand alone building that sits in front of the trailer haunt, no way is it portable!!

Also you have to take into consideration the outward appearance of the attraction. We utilize the 6 trailer configuration because it creates a large box that the audience can drive completely around. It appears quite large and gives you the extra space in the middle should you choose to utilize it.

OK Sue I’m not slamming your configuration, in fact I am having trouble visualizing it. It obviously works for you and that’s all that counts, but I don’t think from the description that it is mobile.
                          You describe it as two trailers parallel 4 feet apart with 3 hallways. I assume these are 3 bridges which means you have to cut 3 separate doors in the sides of each trailer (6 doors or openings) just between the first 2 trailers. I assume you now have to mask these bridges or your audience is always walking “outside”. All of this has to be added once on site.

We use the 6 trailer configuration because it provides the largest footprint with the fewest doors cut into the trailers. There is only one bridge, you have the choice of having your emergency doors exit to the outside (harder to control) or into the courtyard. The trailers actually touch so you walk directly from one into the other except the one bridge. You can also either use the courtyard or not. We do because it greatly increases the useable space. However what you put in the courtyard must be transported and set up separately. Any separations in trailers must be masked to create the illusion of a single structure.

The 6 Trailer set up shown would have a front width of 98 to 110 feet. Its depth would be 61 feet.
                          That is quite a footprint. If you run 2 trailers parallel they are only 45 feet wide, 16 feet deep.

Capt. Chaos I would suggest getting the Hauntworld articles, they explain in more detail. The original article in Issue one is no longer in print (sold out). If you don’t have it email me directly and I will send you my original word file. Email me at: consultant@rjproductions.biz

Good luck!!

Rich
                          Attached Files
                          R&J Productions
                          Las Vegas, NV
                          www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

how many emergency exits do you put in? do you build ramps from those doors?

Comment

You can be no more than 50 feet from an emergency exit. The entrance and exit count so one in each side trailer and one in the middle.
                              Ramps if required, we use stairs up to a platform in front of each door. Unless a local jurisdiction overrules you, ADA requirements are not required for temporary structures or else every carnival would have to be ADA.
                              R&J Productions
                              Las Vegas, NV
                              www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X