Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distressing walls/tile

Hey Guy's,

I am starting our build for our season and one thing we want to improve on from last year is detail.I thought we did ok last year but i know we can do better. I have a asylum theme and we will be using alot of that white bath tile paneling. I saw the tile work Dead house design did. It was AWESOME!! Anyone have any good tips for a dude to try out to capture that deep distressed effect? I already bought both of Larry's videos.

Thanks
    Chaos
    Capt.Chaos
    Fear Asylum Haunted House
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Ooooh, I'm your girl for this topic!!! I have a tried and true method that's guaranteed bonechilling results!

First clean the tile, paying special attention to the grout. toothbrush and softscrub works great. Next, scour your neighborhood or even your home for some elementary aged children, a minimum of two. You will also need a medium sized dog. Lock kids and dog near the tile with a palette of watercolor paint. Check back in an hour and you will have the desired effects, lol!!!!
    Ok, if you're not brave enough for the above method, then maybe a stiff dry paintbrush with your paints in blacks, browns and greens would work. Adding some coffee grounds or dirt to the paint would give you a chunky more 3D look. Good luck... distressing is soooo much fun when it doesn't involve a clean bathroom, kids and a dog, hee hee!!!
    Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

chaos,
      We should talk. This is one of those things we can work on.
      layers of details.
      And Larry's videos can help with this too.
      Kevin R. Alvey
      info at gore-galore.com
      www.gore-galore.com
      www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
      www.youtube.com/goregalore13
      www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

I would love to know about this as well. I am starting to build out for the year. I have several DVDs, including the one from Larry, but set distressing tips would be great!

One thing I am really curious on is, why don't more people lightly accent everything in blue or white UV? Just glow all the dark scenes?
        http://www.innerfears.com/
        http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

I like a nice brown/rust or kelly type green. Paint it really heavy in a line from the top to about 6" down (should cover one tile row on standard white tile board). Before it dries take a spray bottle full of water and hit the paint, it runs daown the walls and look awesome. Keep hitting it with the water to get it to run further.
          I will also mix paint and water and spray that on the walls, once the rest is dry. Its something you will need to play with a bit.
          Allen H
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Also try Kevin McCurdy's favorite trick, Design Master's Glossy Woodtone floral spray!! It is perfect for aging, rust looking, just try it, you'll like it!!!
            Pick it up at craft stores like Michaels.
            https://www.directfloral.com/product...ctID=453057465

Here's a couple pics of a dining room I'm working on. So far all I've used is the Glossy Woodtone...
            I've rewired the chandelier with flickering candles, a ton of cob webs and need to now add a dirt wash
            (really watered down latex paint, more like water with a little paint)

Rich
            Attached Files
            Last edited by RJ Productions; 04-07-2011, 02:19 AM.
            R&J Productions
            Las Vegas, NV
            www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Distressing walls/tile

I played with this a little last night. I used John's technique from "The darkness" utilizing raw umber. This is a paint tint. It is not a color. It is tint USED to make other colors. I bought a gallon from a supplier for about $26. I painted the tile board white and let dry. Then I took a rag and filled in all the grout with the raw umber. After i wiped it down it left the dark color in the grout line and "dirtied up" the tile. I will hit spots with water and paint to acheive the drips Allen was talking about. I will post pics if it works. Any other suggestions are sure welcome.

Chaos
              Capt.Chaos
              Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

I was going to say wood stain has worked best for me on tile broad because of the slick surface. Minwax Red mahogany is the best color for rust, i use the spray all the time to mist under pipes, you can build it up nice. Also if you use joint compound to do walls that are crumbling you can stand back and mist it in quick little shots while it's still wet and it bleeds out and starts to look like mold. I use the Minwax and some black and green and you can get great mold.

Comment

In case you didn't realize we now have TWO different DVD's on detailing... a part one and part two.

How to Detail Your Haunted House ... you can find them at www.hauntedhousesupplies.com

Go on over there and grab it because we do a lot of detail and distressing stuff on the dvd.

The way we do things is squirt bottles and or deck sprayers. Its important to have a lot of colors ready to go and its important to have at least ONE deck sprayer full of nothing but pure water. So if something is way to dark or to heavy you can wash it down with some water.

Its all in the DVD.

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Distressing walls/tile

Yep. You got my cash already for that one too Larry. Here is a idea...How about you have a detail email for people that buy your videos called "Ask John". It would be great to ask questions to follow up the video.

Chaos
                    Capt.Chaos
                    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

I too like the tint method, but I add it to water based polyerathane clear coat. I used the Flat or Semi-Gloss, depending. Using different amounts of tint will give you various translucent effects.

Matt
                      Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Working...
                      X