No announcement yet.

Strating to get frustrated at hauntcon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Gwen. Yes I saw they finally posted all the tours. Have to say I am a bit impressed with the number of tours. 9-10 haunts in three days? I am seriously thinking about hitting them all! Hope you can make it.
    www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Originally posted by xxxdirk
      Hey Gwen. Yes I saw they finally posted all the tours. Have to say I am a bit impressed with the number of tours. 9-10 haunts in three days? I am seriously thinking about hitting them all! Hope you can make it.
      I hope I can, too!

Comment

Those seminars sound truly useful and worth going to. If they are up for sale after as videos, am going to have to order them, period. Good resources.
        The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

I dunno about buying after the seminar, they sell for like $175
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise
            I dunno about buying after the seminar, they sell for like $175
            That's close to the cost for the entire set. If you want to purchase one DVD with two seminars on it, the cost last year was $14.00

Comment

Some day I will just have to visit the Nightmare Tony Pennyworth Farthington III, Jr. Commemorative Library.
              sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise
                Some day I will just have to visit the Nightmare Tony Pennyworth Farthington III, Jr. Commemorative Library.
                LOL! I'll save a seat for ya. :lol:

Comment

RUNS!!!

Comment

A more fiberous diet might help that.
                    sigpic

Comment

Was it them prunes that gave him the runes?
                      Don't dream it, be it, be the King of your own runs! Plumb them from your undies to the cat box.
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

A lot of vendors complain about how aweful the show is run, or how bad security for their stuff is afterhours or whatever. You know TW hires like 10 to 20 cops to secure the exhibitors equipment.

Several vendors of told me how their stuff was stolen from their product to labtop computers. Many people complain about how some of the seminar speakers don't even show up...as in NO SEMINAR!

Additionally I know stuff from haunt owners who tell me working with him on organizing haunt tours is a NIGHTMARE! Some say he didn't pay them, while others say he tells his customers one thing, maybe to get them to sign up for the tour, while the owner of the haunt says they didn't agree to this or that, then the customers get upset when the owner informs then of the rules.

Kinda like Rocky Point, Pickel says you can take pics, but in his contract with RPHH it said no pics...

In Pickels defense he's NOT a tradeshow organizer, and he's really doing these things with no staff to speak of... he's basically doing these on a shoestring budget so he can make a profit.

I don't begrudge a guy from making a profit for all the hard work, and I'm sure putting all this together is a lot of hard work, but in the end if you don't keep your vendors happy its hard to repeat your show. He's lost a LOT of vendors over the years for these very reasons.

Overall I think he's done a good job putting this together, but he has to realize he can't promise things to people and not deliver. And with his seminars he needs to pay the speakers, or give them free magazines, tours or whatever. He gives his speakers NOTHING, but charges the customers for their insight.

Bottom line is Pickel runs Hauntcon as cheap as possible, not paying for the right security, promoting the show for his vendors, paying speakers, blah, blah. I don't have the books of Hauntcon, I don't know how much it makes or doesn't make.

But as I said I give him credit for getting it going, but if its going to the next level he needs to hire a staff, and step up to the plate on these other issues otherwise it will slowly slip away!

Just my two cents... both pro and con!

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President
                        www.HalloweenProductions.com
                        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Maybe the business of haunting and alot of the people in it could be adding to the problems by not commiting until the last possible moment?
                          Maybe everybody is more this way than not?
                          You know what I mean? It's the last week of September , phone rings, "I want to buy that big display like I saw at Transworld", or "We paid for that last March, where is my stuff you promised?"
                          Too many lawns to mow, only one mower, one person pushing it.
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I know THAT one, Jim. Until I spent 8 months with my dad rebuilding a lawn tractor, I would spend 4 months each year mowing 2 acres of meadow. Tractor helps out MUCHO...

Comment

2007 Haunters Education

Producing a convention for haunters has alot in common with running an haunt! ~ Smiles. It's a passion.. and madness!

We are very excited about the classes that we're offering at MHC and the workshops, and tours. Etc. The Midwest Haunters Convention has a new Hauntworld Message Board and we'll post updates there. We have lots of information on our website (Barry is always updating). Please check out the new Midwest Fantasy Show too; hosted in conjunction with MHC for additional cool classes.

It's great news for the industry and haunters is that there will be so many educational opportunities fun featured in the Midwest this year, including these shows and others in the region.

We look forward to attending HauntCon and to seeing many of you there!

Best regards,
                              Neena
                              Neena Collins | MidOhio Productions

Midwest Haunters Convention
                              June 3-5, 2011 Columbus, Ohio
                              www.MidwestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

Neena,

You're correct its a lot of work... at MHC you have the three of you to lien on and you all LIVE in the same city your event is in which makes it a bit easy to coordinate.

With Hauntcon it should take more work and more coordination. Leonard if he wants the event to go to a next level he's must hire tradeshow help. He needs a bigger more qualified staff with tradeshow experience.

I think Hauntcon has a future, but he needs to STOP bashing TW, in an effort to make Hauntcon look better, and make sure his vendors make money, and feel secure at the event.

If he can do these things he will be a lot better off.

Larry
                                Larry Kirchner
                                President
                                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Working...
                                X