Haunt property wish list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunt property wish list?

We're meeting with our realitor this week to begin the process of looking for either an existing building in which to house our haunt (or property on which to build). In preparing for our meeting I'm compiling a "wish list" for her and thought I would post here to find out what items everyone else would have on their own wish lists, outside of the obvious items like general location or sufficient parking. What things have you run into, that you wish your own building had, etc.?
    Last edited by Dalloween; 04-25-2011, 05:00 PM.
    Jim Shackelford, Co-Owner
    Haunt 2013, LLC
    and
    The House of Boo
    Dallas, TX
    www.haunt2013.com
    www.thehouseofboo.com

Having purchased and sold commercial property I would make sure that all zoning is in accordance for your event. Make sure your not considered a temp business. Also make sure the property has sufficient electrical requirements for your event. That can add up fast and should be part of your purchase offer strategy. Also I would recommend talking with your city's building code expert. Let them know exactly what you are planning and what they will require for you to achieve your goals. Hope that helps. Good luck

Chaos
    Capt.Chaos
    Fear Asylum Haunted House
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

Chaos, since most haunts are seasonal attractions, what is the difference of a temporary business and what are the implications? Thanks
      Mike Bizub

Ghouls Gulch www.GHOULSGULCH.com

Comment

Thanks, that is helpful.
        Jim Shackelford, Co-Owner
        Haunt 2013, LLC
        and
        The House of Boo
        Dallas, TX
        www.haunt2013.com
        www.thehouseofboo.com

Comment

Just my .002 if your looking for property try to find the levelest property possible. Excavation to get it relatively flat can be expensive and some property owners wont let you excavate even with a long term lease.
          The power issues and codes have already been addressed. I dont know if zoning was mentioned or not but thats important also.
          Thats just for starters. You will have to check with the fire marshal to see if you are going to need a sprinkler system depending on what type of tent/building/construction you are planning on using to build your haunt. There are many things to consider but these are just a few.
          Greg
          Fearfest
          Greg Allen
          scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
          www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

You bet Mike! All cities are differant of course but I do know that some municipalities treat temp business differant then "year round" business. I only know this because I have a business partner that runs a seasonal retail store out of a location that used to be a manufacturing facility prior. I dont remember all the in's and out's he had to deal with but I remember the fire dept. gave him a little grief on the occupancy load and sprinkler requirements. I remember the city was worried that he was not going to maintain the property since he only utiized it for 3 months out of the year. He got around the whole issue by offering storage in some of the space he did not utilize. Anyway, I have never run into it. But I would make sure the city knows what you are planning on doing before you buy to avoid any after shocks. Also DONT call it a haunted house. They usually wont take you serious which may put you behind the 8 ball right off the bat. It is a seasonal attraction. good luck.

Chaos
            Capt.Chaos
            Fear Asylum Haunted House
            Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

Working...
            X