Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are good place to find building scraps??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are good place to find building scraps??

I know craigslist is probably great for furniture and stuff. Where do you find building material scrap that would probably end up in the trash?

Where are good place to find building scraps??

I watch for companies doing renovations on commercial buildings. The builder usually just goes in and tears everything out and throws in a big dumpster. Just last week I scored 2 walk in commercial freezers, 4 stainless steel cafe doors, and a stainless food display case. If i see something going on I stop in and buy the crew some pop and they save me everything. They have to pay to haul it away and that goes by weight so why not. Good luck.

Chaos
    Capt.Chaos
    Fear Asylum Haunted House
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

You could always post in the wanted section of Craigslist what you need and that might generate something. We tried that last year and had a few donations. Also, our Habitat for Humanity has a resale store where they sell used items from a home they redid but didn't want to toss. The stuff varies from lighting, mirrors, you name it, it's there. Also talking to them might network you to somewhere else that might be taking their scrap lumber etc.
      Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

Hey Kimmy,
        Do you have a cycle shop next to you? I know we have an ASK powersports next to us and the bikes come in wooden crates that they normally just throw away. Ask them if you can have the wood, I know ours just gives us the wood. Also try people that are renovating houses, key here is to look for dumpsters sitting out with wood, or people tearing barns down or barns that are falling down. We have gotten alot of material that way.;-)

Comment

Great source for free wood

I have a fence company bring me there old wood fence that they tear out when they redo a fence. It is pre weathered and has a great look.

new materials.jpg

Shawn
          http://bradentonhauntedtrail.com

Comment

Originally posted by hauntedkimmy View Post
            You could always post in the wanted section of Craigslist what you need and that might generate something. We tried that last year and had a few donations. Also, our Habitat for Humanity has a resale store where they sell used items from a home they redid but didn't want to toss. The stuff varies from lighting, mirrors, you name it, it's there. Also talking to them might network you to somewhere else that might be taking their scrap lumber etc.
            Yeah I also have been to my local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, they sell old used furnature for an amazing price! I found a very creepy painting for only $3! This is kind of shocking realizing that the fake ones you buy from Spirit are around $20 bucks... Also helps to volunteer there, they give you a ton of free stuff.
            Matthew Colton
            Frightworld America's Screampark
            http://www.frightworld.com/

Comment

lumber auctions

Search your area for lumber auctions. We get most of our building materials from these auctions. You often see barns that have been deconstructed, axe-cut beams, aged wood planks, antique windows, doors, etc. We go every month to one in our area, and we seem to make out most of the time. I have put a cease on all "scrap wood" because we became the local dumping grounds for people's trash. I used to chase craigslist leads, and had a very difficult time finding anything that was worth my time.
              Also, if you have the means, you can look around for any falling down buildings/barns/sheds and offer to take them down for free. Last year we deconstructed a barn, and found a ton of great build material
              Patrick Barberry
              www.legendsofthefog.com
              sigpic

Comment

Check at lowes for their damaged goods. We scored a stack of OSB and some fence board dirt cheap.
                RISE Dark Souls Unleashed - Hammond, Louisiana

Comment

Make friends with people at those places so they think of you and give you a call if they have something they are just junking. Works great to be on a first name basis at the thrift store too and arm them with a list of what you need.
                  Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X