Now you see it, now you don't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now you see it, now you don't

If distressing a scene were only this easy. New toys are fun!

What do yall think?

Originally posted by geckofx View Post
    If distressing a scene were only this easy. New toys are fun!

What do yall think?

Very cool. Lighting I presume?
    Brett Hays, Director
    Fear Fair
    www.fearfair.com

Comment

Oo nifty, can anyone else see the Silent Hill Wall peeling effect live?

Comment

I love it, awesome effect especially if you could do an entire room like that.

DA

Comment

freddy are you goin to be at mhc? great vid, and i also agree on the silent hill wall pealing effect being awsome, they also have a wall that burns

Comment

Awesome effect!!! I too immediately thought of Silent Hill!! Terrific job!!!
            Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

So the question is

How much would you be willing to pay for an entire scene with this effect. The transitions are relatively simple, peeling. burning, wiping, crumbling, are all elementary effects once you can get the proper alignment. So if you could get exactly that Silent Hill Effect would you be willing to pay $2000 to add it to your scene? $5000, $10000? Is it worth all of that or is this just a passive effect you really don't feel like you need?

Comment

Depends on how big a space you offered for 2k, 5k or 10k. What do I need to make it work? will it break easily?

If i used it I'd make it a room all it's own. I think people would be creeped out by blood appearing on the wall.
                Last edited by HauntedPaws; 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Hmmm.....I dont like "What are you willing to pay?" How about you charge what you need to in order to cover costs and make a bit for yourself. If your able to sell it for $2000 then Im not going to be willing to pay the $10,000 mentioned.
                  Offer a service for a price or tell how you did it, the tone of the first post was "look what I can do" and that kinda made me steer clear. Im just now checking out the thread again and then I see the "what are you willing to pay?". That turns me off. So I answer a question with a question what would a morally responsible person charge? thats what Im willing to pay.
                  Allen H
                  Last edited by Allen H; 05-09-2011, 09:54 PM.
                  www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

That is a great effect. I couldn’t afford it at $10k. But it is very cool….
                    http://www.innerfears.com/
                    http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

Well Allen

The whole point of asking what people are willing to pay would be for us to begin to make a determination of how to try and package this effect if we are going to attempt to even sell it at all. I can tell you that given our typical pricing scheme a 16'x16' room would run between 15-20k depending on the details involved with it. Now my gut feeling is that is beyond what people want to pay. No one had any issue telling us how the roaches were too expensive, at least to most. So now everyone has a chance to throw in their two cents on what they think an effect is worth before we even go into attempting production on it. Call it an experiment with web 2.0. If the people speak and say that 10k is way to much then what is the point of us moving forward. If the consensus is that 10k might be dooable if the scene is big enough and the effect is cool enough then maybe 10k is worth it. Well then maybe it's worth us pursuing. The point Allen isn't to try and scam people into paying 2000 dollars for a 20 dollar item. The point is to see if there is a market for paying what this is really going to cost, which is going to be a good chunk of change. Or maybe if there is no market for the high end effect, see if we can develop a smaller compact version that is within the range people seem to like. It's a market study, not a scam.

Thanks,
                      Harold Bufford (Freddie)
                      Systems Engineer
                      Dead House Designs

Comment

Method of producing the effect

The method being applied to to make this effect is a heuristic search method to find the alignment between an imaged virtual scene and a real object. Once you have have the alignment of the virtual space and the real space within a given tolerance you are able to transition between the virtual scene and the real scene seamlessly. The software package was written in C# using .NET 4.0, the alignment was done using Open CV 2.2 and the rendering was done with XNA 4.0 . The target system is a multi-core x2 or core family processor with a video card capable of handling DirectX 11. The image was projected using a low end BenQ projector.

Now seriously did that really do anybody any good at all?

Comment

Originally posted by geckofx View Post
                          The method being applied to to make this effect is a heuristic search method to find the alignment between an imaged virtual scene and a real object. Once you have have the alignment of the virtual space and the real space within a given tolerance you are able to transition between the virtual scene and the real scene seamlessly. The software package was written in C# using .NET 4.0, the alignment was done using Open CV 2.2 and the rendering was done with XNA 4.0 . The target system is a multi-core x2 or core family processor with a video card capable of handling DirectX 11. The image was projected using a low end BenQ projector.

Now seriously did that really do anybody any good at all?
                          I wish I knew how to use all that stuff...open source software + a good idea + great business! I loved the roaches though.
                          O'Shawn McClendon
                          Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

I still don't understand why this couldn't be produced as a blue-ray and then just projected normally? Haunters would just have to build rooms to accommodate the projections! I don't see the need for all this "equipment". IDK.

Seems like After Effects could do this just as good and have more, easier ways to produce this.

But, I'd be willing to pay $500 for a Blue-ray of the effect...then I'll stick it on my own projectors on my own walls. -Tyler
                            Chris Riehl
                            Sales@spookyfinder.com
                            (586)209-6935
                            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Harold,
                              the internet is a terrible form of communication, in conversation Im sure the words in your original post would have been fine. But on the net they struck a nerve with me. I wasnt calling you a sheister I was just alerting you to your languange and how it could be taken.
                              I dont think our industry could support $20,000 rooms. I think you will have much better luck with a scaled down version.
                              I know you have ideas but if you needed to scale down the effect a few options are
                              On a window it starts fogged up and wrds appear (very ghosty)
                              Another limited size projection that could be cool is blood seeping under a door
                              foot steps appearing on the ground possibly leading a group
                              A projection onto a corpse's face laying in a coffin or
                              a whole body decaying rapidly on a slab
                              Grudge style black hair "growing" from an actress who starts in the right place

As far as posting the how, Are you using the BenQ 870? I suppose it depends on the length of the throw. Its exciting that you are using Open CV 2.2. I looked into that for a few cemetary statues I am planning on getting around to making eventually. Since you guys already know the software you might consider using its motion tracking and recognition capabilities the way I wanted to.
                              Cemetary statues that pick on member of the group and all turn their heads to follow them through the set CV can do the grunt work and servos controlling a pan and tilt can move the heads. That effect once into the industry could be used for crows or vultures in a tree, scarecrows in a field (that would creep me right out), lots of cool options. You guys are knocking on the door of really cool stuff.

For those of you who dont grasp how cool what they are talking about could be check out this demo
                              Its slightly different tech, but it will help you see the possibilities.
                              Allen H
                              Last edited by Allen H; 05-10-2011, 10:18 PM.
                              www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                              X