Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Haunts?

Do haunts have to have a story line?

I know that I had posted an idea, but I can only come up with about 4 set ideas. I am stumped. I wanted ti be differant then other haunts in my area. Ones that I have been to, don't seem to have story lines. Unless I am stupid and can't figure out what they are.

Being that I will probably be haunting outside with limited big time on tree's. I wanted to do something other then a haunted camp or cemetery. Or acting out small Hollywood type sets with Mike Myers or Jason/camp crystal lake.

Any feed back would help!

A good haunt will have a great storyline to work with.

http://www.thehauntedvineyard.com/pages/Legond.html

This was from the finest haunt in California. Much of the storyline is derived from the environment, using the original 1928 market place building at the last remains of the first vineyard in California, the Guasti vineyards. The train also comes by every half hour which figures prominently into the storyline as well.

You will also want to try and avoid basing on released horror movies and media icons. 1. Intellectual laziness. 2. They get sue happy.
    The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

[ 2. They get sue happy.[/quote]

i've never seen/heard anyone get sued yet. besides why else would the companies make monsker movie masks?

sidenote: i'm not a big fan of having movie monsters in a haunt..but if it floats someone's boat..

anyway back to your question: you can have a cemetery that is built on/around a toxic waste area.

a swamp
      western
      psycho killers on the loose

the options are endless just get a pen and paper and start to brainstorm!

Comment

If your just gonna throw a bunch of scary scenes together and all that, then a storyline is not neccessarily needed. Now, if your gonna stick to your boogeyman theme, then it would be wise to create some kind of story for that. So as people read your story before they go into your house, it gets them a little pumped up, for when they actually enter.
        Brad Bowen
        Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
        www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

I have always been a fan of the story line in a haunt. We have been using them for years.

The people who run line out front will tell the background, some of the key actors in the haunt bring up the story line from time to time, and our exit room is a big part of the story.

You can tell that some people just don't get it or don't care about it, but it amazes me how many people got really into the story! It's an easy way to add a level of interest and believability that may not of been there otherwise.

=Joel=
          Heartstoppers
          Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
          www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

Joel and Brad

The ending in my haunt would also be the largest set. I have drawn up a scetch of all the sets. I have a lighted effect for the begining, a bedroom is the second set, A closet for the next, but then there is an empty space in my story. The end is where the Boogieman lives, eats, sleeps, well you know what I mean. What happens between the Closet set and the home of the Boogieman. I thought about doing an all black room with actors dressed in black, that move around like shadows. Is this good enough? It just does not seem like alot to walk through.

Comment

Jason, trust me on this one. Knotts had to make a MAJOR change to their primary event every Haunt due to legal communication from a big movie studio that wasn't too keen on the usage of their horror movie characters. The end result was the park did one year lampooning the entire affair then went off to make their own original trademarked characters. There are most likely others that are not so publicized or reacted on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Haunt
                Joel and Brad

The ending in my haunt would also be the largest set. I have drawn up a scetch of all the sets. I have a lighted effect for the begining, a bedroom is the second set, A closet for the next, but then there is an empty space in my story. The end is where the Boogieman lives, eats, sleeps, well you know what I mean. What happens between the Closet set and the home of the Boogieman. I thought about doing an all black room with actors dressed in black, that move around like shadows. Is this good enough? It just does not seem like alot to walk through.
                I have a good idea for your last room, but its hard to explain this idea. Being boogieman's lair, I'd say have it more of a really creepy, scary room, and not just a regular black room. If you have a little bit of money to spend, and this being your final/biggest set, you'd want to go all out on this.
                The idea that I have for this room would be to have his lair in a world trapped between earth and hell. As if, when the boogieman grabs his victims, he pully them down from the world, into his own little world.

As far as set design for this room, I'd say watch a few freddy movies, and pay attention to his sets, when the victims are in his dream world.

I'd say, use a lot of red in this room, a liitle bit of black, and a lot of just crazy, off-the-wall stuff in there. Go to some garage sales, and old antique stores, and pick up old furniture, old props, etc. This could show that the boogieman has been aroung for a long time, and all that old stuff just naturally adds creepiness to any set.
                Brad Bowen
                Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

They sell the mask to make money not so you can make money from the mask. The mask can be used to go to partys or trick-or-treat or if you are doing some haunt for free. You start to make alot of money and get alot of media and be come a huge name in haunting. You'll get sued, oh ya we'll get sued.
                  Originally posted by jason
                  [ 2. They get sue happy.
                  i've never seen/heard anyone get sued yet. besides why else would the companies make monsker movie masks?

sidenote: i'm not a big fan of having movie monsters in a haunt..but if it floats someone's boat..

anyway back to your question: you can have a cemetery that is built on/around a toxic waste area.

a swamp
                  western
                  psycho killers on the loose

the options are endless just get a pen and paper and start to brainstorm![/quote]
                  Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

There was a story published in Haunted Attraction Mag about developing a theme and backstory based on your location and how it translates into better profits and easier marketing.

You can read it here:
                    http://www.hauntedattraction.com/ind...position=63:40

Tell me if that helps you out, good luck.
                    www.HauntGraphics.com

Comment

"And right here at this clearing in the woods was where those people met a bad end. They were haunters discussing which movie monsters they used in their haunt, as they sat there quietly boasting around the campfire they were all ripped apart, small pieces at a time, a hideous death by any standards."
                      "I suppose the Hollywood people had this done to them for copying their copyrighted monster?"
                      "No, actually those people were killed by space aliens who felt their gods were being insulted by being depicted as haunt creatures."
                      "You mean..."
                      "Yes, the alien's second stop was to visit destruction and misery upon those Hollywood copy-cats for degrading those same gods !"

There's a storyline.
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

//goggles in awe

Comment

My last bit of advice is to keep your story line simple and sweet. If you make it too elaborate, people will not be able to keep up.

3 parts. Set-up, one or two bits of story progression, then the finale. More the that and you will lose people. Every room and every scare does not have to contribute to the story line, but they should all be part of the theme. Hope I am making sense....

=Joel=
                          Heartstoppers
                          Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
                          www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

I once feared that I might be losing the audience in many ways , if your average audience member is 14 this probably would be more true than not.
                            Many years ago I decided I would appeal to the older crowd and take a chance by giving them more information and maybe those customers who couldn't process it faded away but I think they were replaced by a group that liked this type of show. I also need to have people attending my house year round and they also need to have a car and some spending money. Yes 14 year olds can bend Mommy or Daddy's ear enough to get them to drive out here but I like to see the 14 year old as simply a starting point of beginning to create a long-term patron who will be appreciating my style of show as time goes on.
                            Warning. It does require alot more time and energy to give more show.
                            Chasing people down a short hallway to the exit doesn't .
                            I have yet to find the customer who responds "yes" to the question:"Would you drive back out here to see my house if it was a ten minute chase-through?"
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                            X