Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Convention Dates - what would be the ideal schedule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Convention Dates - what would be the ideal schedule?

I think the opinions on this may be quite diverse so I wanted to ask these questions, which may help the convention hosts set their dates for next year.

There has been discussion that having the cons so close together hurts attendance because haunters are forced to choose. However each con caters to a slightly different market and locale so they are all needed.

I'm sure there are others but the ones most pertaining to this industry are:
    Transworld 3/8-11 2012: business focused, big buyers make most of their annual purchases here
    HAuNTCon TBA: tour focused, smaller gathering but tight-knit community, almost like an annual reunion =)
    National Haunters Convention 5/4-6 2012: east coast oriented, mix of haunters, home haunters, and enthusiasts
    West Coast Haunters Convention TBA: west coast oriented, currently a lot of home haunters
    Midwest Haunters Convention TBA? June-ish: last show before season starts, cash & carry oriented, big buyers picks up odds and ends here

While it may be impractical for someone to attend all of these, some may wish to choose at least 2 of them.

Since HauntCon and West Coast haven't set their dates yet (I think MHC has it set, I just haven't found it), when do you think they should be held?

Has anyone ever considered a late-late show in August? Would everyone be too busy setting up to attend or would cash & carry during this time of the season really help you out? I know for some vendors, August wouldn't be feasible with the lead-time it takes to make their products, however there should be plenty of vendors with in-stock items that can use the show to clear out inventory. Your thoughts?
    sigpic
    The world's SMALLEST and BRIGHTEST LED spotlights! Built for haunters.

Iaapa is in November (Great right after our season ends)

Transworld Middle of March is perfect (this is really the main show and the sooner vendors get to new cash flow and haunters get to making new scenes teh better)

Hauntcon - Should be no more than 4 to 6 weeks after TW. So End of April is great.

MHC - Seems like they want this show where it is so I guess it won't change even though their show is never going to take off unless they change it. However I would say end of May beginning of Summer or rather the weekend before Memorial day.

Midwest - 3rd week of June or two weeks before the 4th.

Then be done with all these things and focus on building haunted houses.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I have heard that Midwest is trying to move it's show back by one week to the second week of June. I like that as I have had to turn down lucrative music gigs and a Sci-Fi Con that always fall on that weekend in order to attend. I would like to see TW a little earlier in the year, perhaps early February.

Just my opinion...
      http://www.bigscaryshow.com
      http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Tradeshow dates

I appreciate the suggestions. Interesting comments on show dates. It is very challenging to secure dates for a space large enough to host a convention. We need space for a trade show, classes and parties. We also prefer hotels attached to the convention center with 1,000+ rooms and parking. Then, you are competing with larger shows for dates while trying to avoid other haunt shows, makeup conventions and horror conventions around the country. It's much harder than it sounds.

Our show is big enough now that we have more pull when requesting dates. We signed a multi-year contract so our dates are set for future years. In 2012; we're moving the Midwest Haunters Convention back a week to the second weekend in June (June 8, 9 & 10). We'll have the second weekend in June for several years.

Our dates have been in conflict with families with kids in school and graduations; many haunters have requested we move our date back. When we first started 8 years ago; we were in July. We moved to June to give vendors more time to fill orders taken at the show. Our show is considered a "last chance" to get in some shopping before construction.

With our current registration; it appears this will be our biggest year yet! We have more exhibitors too!

Keep up the comments and suggestions; we're listening.

Kelly
        Spikerip
        The Midwest Haunters Convention
        The Scare-A-Torium
        Funhouse Faces Facepainting

Comment

Something I've seen which has gotten better is the "volunteers" who go around and video 90% of the items for sale. I think there should be ONE site to look for things rather then trying to remember where you saw that mask or props. Not every one can go following the haunt tours all year, and videos of product in use is very very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedPaws View Post
            Something I've seen which has gotten better is the "volunteers" who go around and video 90% of the items for sale. I think there should be ONE site to look for things rather then trying to remember where you saw that mask or props. Not every one can go following the haunt tours all year, and videos of product in use is very very helpful.
            i second this, if there's some video list to be made that would be great. i'm also starting to see some haunt product review sites out there but none really pop out at me yet...
            ooo i got an idea! does anyone ever look through www.reddit.com? we can make a subreddit that's only haunt videos and reviews, maybe if we can get some traction on that it'll make it easier for a lot of customers and vendors
            sigpic

Comment

your wish is my command!

Originally posted by HauntedPaws View Post
              i just quickly made a subreddit like i said: http://www.reddit.com/r/hauntproducts/
              i put up a few vendor product demos from HauntCon 2011, i'll have to search the net for all other vendors --- if we can get enough people to pay attention to this reddit then more and more vendors will want to post their product demo videos up here.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X