Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security

Here in CT I believe security has to be licensed and insured. Also anyone other then an officer touching them can be considered assault. How do others handle the trouble makers? No Jim and Greg I can't vaporize them

Having some overbearing mother zombie character rubbing vapo-rub on them might actually work. Vaporize them.

Usually some freaky character will step up to the challenge of engaging the generally undeveloped idiot. The crowd changes from no longer a source of attention getting to crowd sourced humiliation. This wakes them up that they maybe haven't thought through really being an idiot far enough. There are a lot of freaks that have seriously done their homework on what is wrong and no matter what they think they have developed in being a professional idiot is going to result in totally unexpected results here. It isn't going to be like all the other times they were an idiot. Are they up for the challenge?

If it goes to defcon 5, the haunt is as much entertaining as possible physical torture. Total removal of any security. Even a place to keep someone restrained in a section. They become part of the show in a jail cell asking to get out for an hour or so. Memories for when they work themselves to a real prison and they should have heeded some mental or social warning.

Security guards are to make sure no one is hanging around at the ticket booth where the money is being collected or parking cars. You will find police uniformed or mixed into the actors will not engage people at all. They work by detaining people and questions, wasting their time and life and moments, that's it. Actors can do that. What would normally look like it might spoil everyone's fun becomes everyone's fun.

For all of these reasons, most people behave themselves rather than create some situation that could go beyond the bounds of their personal entertainment.

To run a haunt you really should develop cult leader skills or be able to insight a public riot skills. Uniforms tend to attract a different attention. No reason to make a crowd have that tense feeling in their stomack over some idiot or that the tense situation with that idiot was what stood out during their visit.
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

First, yes your state does require that Security be certified by the state. With that said, I have to disagree with the individual below concerning their approach to security. I have 14 years of experience in private security, fire/rescue and EMS operations, I currently am a member of the American Society for Industrial Security and the International Foundation of Protection Officers. Finally I work as a Security Manager for a large international security provider. The world of private security is full of liability, much the same as haunted houses and all other special events / attractions are. If you have your actors "detain" individuals as he suggests, you are running the risk of creating conditions where as you can be charged with false imprisonment, kidnapping and others. Special events, especially bigger ones run the risk of panic evacuations or human stampedes, which tend to cause large amounts of injuries and history has shown deaths as well. You, your haunt will be open to huge liability claims should any emergency, incident or event happen where someone gets hurt, if you do not have a proper security and/or safety plan in place.

My suggestions to you are;
      1. Research your state law and see if law enforcement officers performing security on their own fall under this requirement. If they do not, then contact the local police dept and see if any of their members are willing to perform security for your haunt in trade for tickets.

2. Also go on to craigslist and post an ad looking for volunteers to do security, ensure that anyone who does volunteer has their state guard card / certification.

3. Finally you might be able to make a deal with local companies, they provide you with security guards for free or at reduced prices in exchange for letting them train new officers or existing officers on how to work special events.

If you have any questions on how to set up or plan the safety and security needs of your haunt, please feel free to PM me.
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I have noticed that if you have like 5 barbie dolls in a box and after brushing their hair and it is time to leave for the disco cause the taxi is here and they rush to one end of the box, one of them always dies.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

The ominous Security Guy

Security is always dicey. However it can be easily managed with the right approach. I have worked many large events (crowds in excess of 25,000) and am proud to report I have never been hit, challenged, sued, or hurt anyone. Its all in the attitude of the people providing the security. Professional Security can be divided into many different types of services. There is usually a layer of security you do not see working on stage to protect the talent from over-zealous fans. These are the pros you want. Thats why when you look at major concerts stage security (not the guys in yellow shirts with SECURITY written in large letters on them) you will notice that they are not only discreet, but very diplomatic. Find yourself someone who runs security at concerts; they have guys that know how to handle most any situation without putting you at risk, and they will not wear a uniform (that is asking for trouble). They can easily fit inside the haunt and know how to get troublemakers out quickly and quietly without incident.

As a sidenote, handcuffing, restraining, etc is forbidden! Only licensed Policer Officers are allowed those luxuries. Ask local law enforcement agencies if they have officers available to work "hustles." They appear in uniform and usually stay outside around the ticket booth. Any problems inside can quickly be turned over to them once outside. Average fee is anywhere from $25 to $55 an hour depending on the city.
          Travis "Big T" Russell
          President
          Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Exactly, the security should blend in with the show completely and then it is fun. All of my actors were fire and rescue, EMT. off duty constables, off duty state police and their families. I was the security at the front of the show no security shirt or guns or anything like that. Some older military medic types and guardsman MPs were also actors, No shit.

You don't need a state liscense in some places in Texas. You probably don't need a liscense or fill out a questionaire with the State anywhere.
            Someone that is trying to be an idiot isn't likely to be able to pay $375 an hour for an attorney to sue you.

Do you think bouncers at a bar are liscensed? Do they belong to an international bouncer society?

Rules rules rules. No fun at all. I'm not going to reviel all the experiences and qualifications I have had that makes me know I can do this.
            Last edited by Greg Chrise; 07-15-2011, 11:20 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

security

Greg you just give me an idea for a character zombie with vicks vapor rub.

Comment

Vicks

Its gonna be awsome!

Comment

Security is an tough issue for many haunts. As someone who has been a part of both industries (I own a security/consulting company and have been involved with haunts at all levels) I am a firm believer that professional security is worth every penny. Given budget restrictions, however, I understand that that is not always practical. Keith gave you some good suggestions. Another is to take a few volunteers and pay to have them certified as security officers. It should not be that expensive, at least as compared to hiring a contract company. It is best, however, to use people who have some experience in security or a related area.

I have to disagree with those who said that uniformed security detracts from the experienced. Uniformed officers can perform a combination of crowd/line control and customer service. They provide a visual deterrent to would be trouble makers and are readily identifiable as employees for those who have questions, etc. That said, I like to have non-uniformed security as well. In fact, I like to have a costume that a member of the security team can wear. A high percentage of the time, the ticket taker can identify those who are likely to hit actors or break props before they ever enter the haunt. If you put a security officer or manager in their group, they are insulted, belligerent, and the experience of the entire group is ruined. A costumed character, however, simply becomes part of the show, actually enhancing the experience, yet being in a position to step in if needed.

And yes Greg, most states that require security to be licensed, require the same of bouncers.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Dave

Comment

Rule Number ONE!

Do Not Admit Screaming, Staggering Drunks Into Your Haunt.
                    Life is too short, the night will be too long if this is a thing you commonly practise and allow.
                    Rule Number Two:Put on the best possible entertainment for the dollars they give to you. I think this also eliminates many potential problems with vandal-types destroying and stealing , as they try to get their money's worth from a place that is drastically overpriced.
                    My doorbell just rang, tour time!
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I had to look it up, a bouncer or doorman does have to have a security lisence as it involves handling underage drinking or making sure someone intoxicated takes a cab home, protecting the rules and times of the liquor license. So bad security role comparison on my part.

This is the only time ever I will admit to being uniformed. I don't drink so I didn't see this position in the right light. I wil just revise my title to haunt owner making sure drunk boys stay away from the nice girls with the cash box and ultimately leave. Good thing I don't have to get that all on a name tag.
                      sigpic

Comment

I thought for sure you could watch a few episodes of that old TV show Vegas or spend 10 years being a trouble maker first and you would be qualified.
                        sigpic

Comment

Sum timez

A trouble -fixer is just a trouble shittzer.
                          "I thought I fixed that! I could have sworn it was working just fine when you used it last."
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                          X