Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam hard coating/painting questions

Hey everyone,

Pretty soon I will be doing some foam carving on a few set pieces. They won't be in places where a lot of customers will be touching and have their hands all over just as a note. So here are my questions:

1. What is the best glue to use for attaching the foam sheeting to the plywood?

2. I was planning on coating it in the Roof sealant stuff (trying to keep costs down), but are there any better methods that are around the same price range as the roof sealant? Another reason I like that sealant is that I can buy it locally.

3. And finally, what is the best paint to use on it? Will just house paint/acrylics work? And should I put any kind of sealant over the paint when I am finished?

Thanks,
    Jake

Another question I have is what tools people find work best to carve the foam, preferably something I might already have in the workshop, or something I can buy at the hardware store (or make).

Comment

hobbt lobby / michael's carries a foam cutting tool.... i use liquid nail to glue my stuff..

i have been painting mine with indoor/out door house paint.

Originally posted by scarygoat View Post
      Another question I have is what tools people find work best to carve the foam, preferably something I might already have in the workshop, or something I can buy at the hardware store (or make).

Comment

All right, thanks. Ill check out one of those stores then.

What kind of hard coat method do you prefer?

Comment

I Know Everybody does It.

Carves displays from foam, coats them, paints them.. but does your insurance man really like them to be a part of your show?
          I know one that asks specifically , maybe it just raises your rates?
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

1. What is the best glue to use for attaching the foam sheeting to the plywood?
            Gorilla glue

2. I was planning on coating it in the Roof sealant stuff (trying to keep costs down), but are there any better methods that are around the same price range as the roof sealant? Another reason I like that sealant is that I can buy it locally.
            Elastomeric roof coating is fine and fairly inexpensive

3. And finally, what is the best paint to use on it? Will just house paint/acrylics work? And should I put any kind of sealant over the paint when I am finished?
            House paint is fine

4. what to use to shape/ carve?
            Soldering iron, wood rasp, and harbor freights $15 hot knife. I also like an old fashioned wood hand saw they are cheap and can do large shaping.
            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks Allen!

Comment

Working...
              X