Confused on plywood thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused on plywood thickness

A few bucks here an there goes along way in a haunt. I see 5/8"" thickness I also see 1/4" which is preferable to both detail and the fire marshall?

I've been wondering about this too.

I would also be curious to know what is the "most bang for your buck" construction for haunt walls. We will be a low-medium traveled haunt. Seems like everyone has their own method.

One problem we have, is that we cannot build into the structure of our building since it's a community center that must "go back to normal" in November. This means we also need to be able to put-up and take-down the walls quickly.
    www.catacombproductions.com

Comment

here's a how-to with 1/4" plywood.

Comment

Trust me, GO bigger. It is amazing how quickly a patron will smash through a 1/4 inch plywood wall that you just spend the last month goring and dirtying up....

Also, if indoors, OSB is sufficient, however, if any exposure to moisture is anticipated, go with Layered plywood.

Comment

I'm gonna be inside. How bout strand board? Is it comparable to plywood?

Comment

OSB is strong as long as it is not exposed to moisture, HOWEVER, keep in mind that you will have that odd texture that the chips in OSB leave when glued together.... so if you are looking for a nice medium to paint and decorate to look like the inside of a house, etc, then OSB probably isn't for you. Is it alot cheaper than Layered? yes. Is it also alot harder to make people BELIEVE they are in a real house, yes. All depends on what you are looking for... some people I have heard use OSB as the medium, and then do thin luan over top of the OSB...

Comment

Plywood thickness

I would not use 1/4" it is to thin but 1/2" will do. If it is just going to be black walls the osb will do fine, but if you want to paint art work on your walls the ply is the way to go. Plus is has a much better holding strength for attachments. ie: screwing something to the wall.

Shawn
              Twisted Woods

P.S. I am a licenced general contractor

Comment

I like 3/8 or 1/2 inch layered plywood. Im not a fan of OSB I have to put up and take down my panels every year and the OSB panels are three times as heavy as the plywood. I think 1/4 is to skimpy unless its a secret door panel.
                I use 2x2 for my framing and use two 8's and three 45" braces. Some times I use 2x4 because I can leave detailing in the 3.5" pocket when the panels are stacked. If you run the middle brace at chair rail height as opposed to half way it dosent distract to much from most themes and can be blended in.
                Allen H
                www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

We are getting in our wood shipment tomorrow for 900 wall panels. Half of it is 7/16" osb, and half of it is 15/32" 3 layer plywood. Osb will be used in black hallways, under tiled walls, behind vacuform, etc. The plywood will be used anywhere we need to paint the wall and scene design it. The chip pattern of the OSB will come thru pretty much no matter what you do to it, (9 coats of primer, skim coat, nothing seems to cover it up), so I would not recommend using it anywhere it will not just be black, or covered by something else.

1/4" is too thin to go directly on framing. It can be used in areas away from actor or customer interaction, for example, the upper half of a 16' wall. If you want to use 1/4" luan, make sure you at least have 1/4" osb behind it as well for strength.
                  Brian Warner
                  Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
                  Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
                  Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Yeah, osb is pretty much evil. Been there, done that. Unless it will be covered it's well worth it to go with plywood.
                    Brett Hays, Director
                    Fear Fair
                    www.fearfair.com

Comment

Working...
                    X