How about this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about this!

I was thinking, I think the idea of doing a "nightmares" type haunt, for an outdoor haunt is not such a good thing.

My new idea is werewolves, what can I do with this? Two creative minds are better then one!!! :idea:

So far i have come up with a large cave, what can I do here? And what else can I do?

Walk people into the cave then have two werewolves drop down blocking the only way in or out and watch the fun begin!
    This is when the low lights come on showing everyone those piles of bones recently left in a shadow at the back of the cave.
    But there is another, hidden way out of the back of the cave, underneath those bones, all slimey and icky!
    The werewolves are back lit to begin with, they shuffle slowly closer, building tension, then stepping close enough to the people the light from inside the cave shows those gruesome, hairy bent creatures drooling dark blood.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Put actors into Ghillie Suits. People will here footsteps, see bushes rattle, catch traces of movement and shadow, but will never see anything. This is always a great way to build tension in an outdoor haunt.

Consider putting in a visual werewolf transformation. Very high on the "cool" factor. Be sure to put in lots of paw prints, etc. Create a very strong back-story. Why are people walking through a forest full of werewolves? Do they know they are walking into werewolf country?

I, personally, love werewolves. I have used them before and will again in the future.

Dave
      Lords of Chaos, LLC
      House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

When we have small children who are obviously afraid in the first room we bring out the "Werewolf"!
        He beats upon the door a few times, the door opens the room is dark, in he slinks.....
        I sparingly put some light from my flash on him and "There he is! The Werewolf!"
        The part is played by Aeron our Welsh Cartigan-corgi, he almost crawls into the room , then goes around to every person sitting there to look them in the eye and wag his tail for them!
        Corgis have very stubby legs, long muscular bodies and a big head, big mouth full of big teeth and tall pointy ears that can stand straight up, so I tell everyone:"He left his leg-extesions in the other room, he didn't want to scare anybody by being too tall."
        Teary-eyed little kids cheer up immeadiately and are fascinated by this cute, friendly dog that seems like just a big puppy.
        Usually then everyone stays in the house, gets through the house, has a good time, no reason for anyone to carp about "refunds" or anything like that.
        Thank You Mr. Aeron Werewolf. (Everybody should have one, worth their weight in real gold!)
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I was doing an outdoor haunt last year which fell through (one of the downfalls of involving relatives) that was a werewolf theme. Along the lines of what Duke was saying, one of the things we were going to do was place actors in all black clothing just beyond the light. They would snap twigs and rustle leaves. We were going to put a CD player in the woods with growling and howling sounds on it. This was to give the audience the impression that something was out there stalking them just beyond the light. Every now and then throw in an ear-piercing scream.
          ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
          ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
          www.facebook.com/DementiaHauntedHouse

Comment

A few years back when we were doing our outdoor trail, we used 4” corrugated black drainage pipe that comes in 100’ coils, and strung it from one central location to various parts of the trail. We would position it in the blank areas, both on the ground and elevated up in the trees at near head level. One of our actors could speak or howl through the pipe as tours walked by. This proved to be very effective, and it kept us from having to run speakers and sound systems through the woods that would have had to be taken up each night. The same actor also controlled several string lines that were attached to brush and bushes along the trail that could be rattled giving the impression that someone was crouching nearby. As for werewolves, we made larger than life plywood cut outs and painted them black and mounted them on a slight ridge above the trail at one point. We flooded the area with fog and back light the silhouettes with halogen shop lights on a thunder and lightning circuit. It sounds a little cheesy, but seeing the flash of the silhouettes through the mist and the trees, and the fact that the tours were moving, worked out pretty well.

Outdoors at night and in the woods is a fantastic ambient setting for a haunt, and I do miss it. But, having to deal with weather, security, and port-o-lets is enough to keep me under roof these days.
            http://www.theironkingdom.com

Comment

That's a great idea. I'm all for having humans control props and rooms rather than rely on electronics anyway.
              ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
              ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
              www.facebook.com/DementiaHauntedHouse

Comment

50 foot of 1/16th inch steel cable ran through 1/2 inch greased-up pvc can move alot of other effects.
                The voice through a tube effect we once did indoors using long cardboard tubes that carpet came rolled around. One person did 5 things from one spot, pulled the fishline to make the "Bats"slam against the top of their cage as people looked in at them, sent their own voice two different directions calling for the customers to come toward them, pushed a button making an electric motor with acardboard circular saw blade run in a dead-end corner(with a light on it), then put on a mask, ran down an emplyee only hallway to come out infront of them for a scare.
                Figuring out your "movables" so gravity resets them always helps.
                Gravity works real cheap.
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Yup, we have always called that ‘free movement’. Way back when we used to just do a party at our home, I used to run a network of fishing line overhead along the ceiling that went from room to room. Whenever anyone went into the bathroom, for example, something would rise up from behind a chair in the next room. It was always fun to watch people try to figure out how it was activated. And if you ran several lines in different directions from each door that was regularly opened and closed, it would work as a counter balance so that no one would notice any extra drag from using that particular door.
                  http://www.theironkingdom.com

Comment

Working...
                  X