NEED HELP - Distressing with spray bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey scott
    I forgot to mention you might try using watered down acrylics in the spray bottle vs the latex. I know you got a really good price on latex paint but a few $1 bottles of acrylic should go very far . I would spray a clear urethane to seal it as well
    I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and great ideas. I did find that cutting off 1/2" off the bottom of the stem and removing the filter off the stem kept the spray bottle from getting clogged up while I was using both latex based paints and acrylics. Once I cut the stem, I used 2 bottles, one black and one white and neither one clogged up the entire night of usage. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Comment

Any paint will eventually clog - it's doing what it was made to do - thus you'll have to keep cleaning early and often. Industrial trigger sprayers will delay the clog.

Depending on the surface, paint tints and aniline dye is the answer. If you're doing your color wash or treatment on wood, drywall, mud, any porous surface; these powder dyes are perfect.

They're expensive and one 4oz. jar will last you the rest of your life and you can still pass some along to your progeny. Key is to mix them with HOT water; a dot the size of a baby aspirin will thoroughly dye a gallon of water. They mix so you really only need the primary colors to make whatever hue you want, non toxic, lightfast, the gold standard for woodwork pros.

http://www.homesteadfinishingproduct...nsFastdyes.htm

ignore the powder yield statement on the page, they are considering a very very deep uniform color on finished wood before lacquer. For washes and detail you will ten times that.
        Last edited by Twin Locusts; 06-18-2011, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Spooktakular View Post
          Here's a sneak peak of some work I did get done with spray bottle distressing.

Like the pic! Looks like you a doing a good job. Post some more.
          Joshua
          www.hauntedprints.com
          info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Working...
          X