Glass protected displays inside the Haunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass protected displays inside the Haunt

I used to use 3/4 inch thick plexiglass to protect a prop at close quaters with the patrons. That was several years ago and I'm getting back into prop making after about 14 years.
    Since plexiglass is now considered too flamable I was going to use saftey glass with perhaps the plexiglass underneath. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Last edited by Wellington Hackmeat; 06-04-2011, 06:06 PM.

Lexan like race car windows.
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
      Lexan like race car windows.
      Thanks! I'll need a class A rating. Does it need to be treated?

Comment

no.........Think funny car fires and ethanol you can't even see burn. If that's a problem you need to just slap the crap out of your fire marshal for about an hour until he understands, You can pound on it for scares, it doesn't scratch like plexiglass or break like glass.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I second lexan.
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
            no.........Think funny car fires and ethanol you can't even see burn. If that's a problem you need to just slap the crap out of your fire marshal for about an hour until he understands, You can pound on it for scares, it doesn't scratch like plexiglass or break like glass.
            I just hope I don't get that goofy Fire Marshal from Georgia who does the "Joan of Arc" fire test. I'll keep my anti-firemarshall basin wrench handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
              I second lexan.
              Thanks! What thickness do you prefer?

Comment

I recommend getting 1/4" thick with 1/8" in front of it. That way as it scuffs up a bit its cheaper to replace the 1/8" as opposed to the thicker stuff. SCREAMS uses this trick on our areas that are under the floor and guests walk on the lexan.
                Allen H
                www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                  I recommend getting 1/4" thick with 1/8" in front of it. That way as it scuffs up a bit its cheaper to replace the 1/8" as opposed to the thicker stuff. SCREAMS uses this trick on our areas that are under the floor and guests walk on the lexan.
                  Allen H
                  You da man!

Comment

I had a bridge the people walked on for 15 years with 3/8 lexon, last year took it apart and is now a drop down window. Lexon is also used in sawmills for the saw box's because of its impact resistance.
                    Ken L.

http://www.thedreamsofdarkness.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamreaper View Post
                      I had a bridge the people walked on for 15 years with 3/8 lexon, last year took it apart and is now a drop down window. Lexon is also used in sawmills for the saw box's because of its impact resistance.
                      I used 3/4 plexiglass for a floor display once. I should have used Lexon. The plexiglass scuffed up right away.
                      I heard an actor went through a bulletproof glass floor display in Brigantine Castle in the 80s. That might just be an urban legend.

Comment

I fabricate with 3/8" cell cast plexi all the way down to 1/16" extruded plexi and you don't want to manage the upkeep for a display case.

Precut lexan is the answer because the likely-hood of you cutting it properly out of the chute is next to nil, you'll chip it - takes special drill bits and blades to cut all polycarb and acrylic sheet.

This company has never gotten an order wrong for me and I've orded up to 2K worth of cell cast at a time, they'll cut it to your spec, perfectly. You can find it a little bit cheaper other places but you may get crap, molded backing, scratches etc. Modern does it exactly right every time and with this stuff there is no margin for error. Also watch prices, acrylics fluctuate like commodities as the price paid for bulk is tied to the cost of oil. Sometimes waiting is smart, sometimes buying now and stocking up.

http://www.modernplastics.com/lexan-...ed-p-1001.html

This is one of my sculptures made with MP cell cast acrylic, with the right blades it cuts like butter with no melting or burrs, but it scratches so easily it has few practical uses where it'll be touched.

Last edited by Twin Locusts; 06-18-2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X