Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Advised Nox Arcana Music Policy Change

Be Advised: Nox Arcana Music Policy Change

As the manager of The Haunted Forest Of Carousel I have always used a variety of Dark Ambient music at our show mainly Midnight Syndicate and in the last few years Nox Arcana as well.

Well all that changed about 2 weeks ago. I was recently contacted by Dark Ambient artist Nox Arcana about changes to their music policy. Just like the group Midnight Syndicate, Nox Arcana had a yearly registration policy, in exchange for putting their banner on your website and hanging up their posters at your attraction during the haunt season you were free to use any of their 300+ song library. They informed me BMI would pursue anyone who used their music or any other BMI music unless you pay them $100.00 this season.

After a few emails back and forth this is what I got out of them for this new policy change.

They informed me that due to some OTHER haunts not hanging up their posters or registering their music and using their banners they decided they didn't want to let anyone use their music and waste their time and money printing off posters and mailing them. Fair enough right?

Here's where it gets funny, I told them I wouldn't use their music anymore and that I would just use other Dark Ambient music by other artists. But I did thank them for the many years that it was free.

And their reaction to my short honest and courteous email reply?

They chastised me for not wanting to pay based upon how much money we make in an email about 4 paragraphs long.

Real classy Huh?

LOL I've been laughing every since.

I also informed Midnight Syndicate of the Nox Arcana's Policy Change.

I guess at The Haunted Forest Of Carousel this year the only posters that will be hanging up will be Midnight Syndicates!
    A friend will help you move but a real friend will help you move a body!

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but no one has a right to be wrong about the facts & without the facts, your opinion is of no value.

I had gotten the same e-mail informing me of their changes. I don't think I ever actually used their music in my haunt, but I hung up their posters they sent regardless. It's a shame that they're doing this to so many haunters who supported them.

Luckily there are quite a few new artists in the industry that would jump at the chance to get their work played at a haunt!
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Yeah, I agree. This is a big mistake on their part. They should have just enforced their banner program more. Their is just too much free ambient music out there, and they would have been better off fostering an alliance with haunts rather than alienate them. I think they are cutting off their nose to spite their face.
      But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe all those haunts using their music for free is hurting their sales. I hope it works out for them.
      sigpic
      Louis Brown
      Owner, operator, and dish washer
      at
      DarkWood Manor

Comment

I don't use their music at all... never even heard a track I dont' think. Who cares, I wouldn't pay them five cents, there are so many others out there who are making awesome tracks who will allow you to use their music in your haunt so use them and forget the rest who won't let you.

If you aren't making this stuff for haunts or people to use in haunts then who is it for? I'm lost...

They have the right however to do whatever they want its their music, and well within their rights, however if you dont' like it use something else simple as that.

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

This photo was taken at MHC. I fully support the music that these three musicians make and sell royalty-free. I will promote their music at every haunt I work with and will no longer mention the 'other' group referenced in this thread...

L-R: Virgil Franklin, Jerry Vayne, and Ed Douglas. Look them up and listen to their stuff if you're not familiar with it. It's awesome...
          http://www.bigscaryshow.com
          http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

$ 100.00 what a bargin, if you like their music. This is how musicians feed themselves, its their talent. Larry, how about I use the name The Darkness without a license fee to you? It would piss you off! Try getting a quote to build a custom soundtrack to your haunt, or worse, get caught using someone's music and talent without compensation. I assure you, $ 100.00 would look mighty good. Lawyers are $ 400.00 an hour, get my point?

Matt
            Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Thank you for the notice. I was actually about to buy some of their stuff, now I will stick with my awesome friends Virgil, Midnight Syndicate, and Jerry Vayne.

Actually I just took a class from Virgil at MHC. He just came out with a cd of "loops" to use with Sony's Acid Music Studio that allow you to very easily create your own sound tracks. I bought this cd for only $10 from him at his class, and have already created some awesome stuff for our haunt this year. Some of the really cool sample tracks he showed us in his class were actually put together by 3rd grade students using the same files.
              Brian Warner
              Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
              Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
              Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Too bad thats such a shame. I do own most of their cds but only listen to them around my house. I now see no reason to buy any future cds at all. I hope syndicate takes the ball and runs with it after this outrage.
                I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Marich View Post
                  Lawyers are $ 400.00 an hour, get my point?

Matt

Damn... I need to revise my fee schedule. lol. Hey Matt, give me a call, let's trade out some legal work for props...
                  Brett Hays, Director
                  Fear Fair
                  www.fearfair.com

Comment

Music Option 2

I have another solution to this problem.
                    Try using Ambient Sound Tracks that I have.
                    All my sound tracks are royalty FREE! PERIOD!

Here is a link and you can check out samples.

http://poisonprops.com/index.php?mai...=index&cPath=8

I have 6 Sound Effects CD'S on top and 21 different Ambient Tracks as you scroll down.
                    sigpic
                    PEACE, ADAM
                    www.poisonprops.com

Comment

Originally posted by poison View Post
                      I have another solution to this problem.
                      Try using Ambient Sound Tracks that I have.
                      All my sound tracks are royalty FREE! PERIOD!

Here is a link and you can check out samples.

http://poisonprops.com/index.php?mai...=index&cPath=8

I have 6 Sound Effects CD'S on top and 21 different Ambient Tracks as you scroll down.
                      I am sorry I forgot to include you in my list of audio used in our haunt. I have every cd Adam had made, and they are all great.
                      Brian Warner

Comment

I will second the CD's from Poison props, however we got through FrightProps, still GREAT CD's!!

We use his ambient tracks as backdrops to our orchestral pieces that WE'VE WRITTEN, and had recorded by the local philharmonic and choir! Custom all the way and love it! I'm not saying the music out there can't be used, love it all! I say, use it all and use what you can! -Tyler
                        Chris Riehl
                        Sales@spookyfinder.com
                        (586)209-6935
                        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Midnight syndicate is better anyway but they should get back to their roots, back to the gothic sounds from Born of the Night and Realm of Shadows. All their stuff is good but those were even better IMO.

DA

Comment

I also am a Virgil and PoisonProps guy. HauntAudio.com is the way to go...

Comment

Just for the sake of complete information: I did contact Nox Arcana. They do have some music I would have liked to use. There are 2 options that do not require paying $100 fee each year. One is to display their web banner on the home page of your website, the other is to buy $200 in cd's at wholesale cost and resell them each year. If you don't want to do one of those options, you pay $100. I personally will just stick with Virgil, Jerry, Midnight Syndicate, and Poision Props, but if you want to use Nox Arcana, their are options.
                              Brian Warner

Comment

Working...
                              X