Addvertisement question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addvertisement question?

I was talking to my local Clear Channel radio sales rep And of course he wants me to spend my whole advertising budget with them. But I am not doing that, I was wondering how many spots do you have on your local radio stations per day, and what type of music channels seem to work the best for you? I know there are a lot of variables but in general how many spots per day to make a good radio presence?

Thank you for any help you can
    Shawn
    Twisted Woods

P.S. I was only going to advertise Thursdays through Saturdays since we will only be open Fridays and Saturdays. To help keep my budget down.
    Last edited by Bradenton Haunted Trail; 06-15-2011, 08:49 PM. Reason: P.S.

Some people say radio spot are outdated, others live by them. I guess it depends on your market. Personally, I would rather spend money on a highway billboard or print ad in popular magazine before I bought radio time. If you want to do radio, I suggest you have the station do a live at location event. That's way you get radio time plus the direct traffic that will come to see the station live.

Now choosing a station is a whole other task in it self. Take a step back and figure out who your target market is. Are you looking to reach out to teens? If so buy spots on the local to 40 stations. Do you have a large Hispanic population I'm your area? If so buy spots on the tejano station. It's simple methodology when you sit back and look at the big picture.
    Joshua
    www.hauntedprints.com
    info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

yes on print

Originally posted by Haunted Prints (EOM) View Post
      Some people say radio spot are outdated, others live by them. I guess it depends on your market. Personally, I would rather spend money on a highway billboard or print ad in popular magazine before I bought radio time. If you want to do radio, I suggest you have the station do a live at location event. That's way you get radio time plus the direct traffic that will come to see the station live.

Now choosing a station is a whole other task in it self. Take a step back and figure out who your target market is. Are you looking to reach out to teens? If so buy spots on the local to 40 stations. Do you have a large Hispanic population I'm your area? If so buy spots on the tejano station. It's simple methodology when you sit back and look at the big picture.
      We are also doing print and Billboard, But yes we do have a large Hispanic community did not think about that Thank you.

Shawn
      Twisted Woods

Comment

Where are you guys located in FL?
        Joshua
        www.hauntedprints.com
        info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Originally posted by Haunted Prints (EOM) View Post
          Where are you guys located in FL?
          Bradenton is just north of Sarasota and about 30 min south of Tampa.

Shawn
          Twisted Woods

Comment

station remotes

I actually advise against having radio stations do remotes. Ive never had a draw from it beyond 20 or so people. Radio stations try to use them as an added value to you but really they end up advertising themselves to your customers. Thats just my opinion from my experience.
            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

The local haunt I worked for did a strategic combination of print ads, coupons in point of purchase displays and posters at sponsor locations, flyering, radio, and TV. His day job is marketing exec, and he is very serious about it. The main thing to shoot for is time slots during work drive times or popular shows for radio, and dinner time/late night for television. That way you hit parents going to and from work, the whole family when they are eating dinner (which in many households is synonymous with tv time), then late night the people that are actually going to be up late and coming to your show near the second half of the evening. The stations you hit as others have said you need to choose based on your major demographics, which does vary some by location, unless you can get some nice package deals on several. You can often buy package blocks for multiple slots and/or stations through advertising brokers that in the end get you an all around cheaper rate due to their relationships with multiple stations...which you can also set up yourself over time. You can get package deals on a lot more things than you might think, you just need to ask. For example, we can work in discounts on multiple print projects and save money across the board whether it is promo or merchandise to sell.

All of that stuff is great, but I think we are definitley moving to a very web and physical based society, where the radio, billboards, tv, etc...are good reminders, but things like social networks that many people live on anymore, mobile apps, and physical items like flyers your potential customers can take with them are going to be the most effective. Be creative and make sure your message and call to action (to come to your attraction) is clear and appealing.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
              -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Radio is pretty dead in alot of markets but if you feel it is still good in yours this is what I would do. Move your spots to tues thru thrus, people plan ahead more these days, not to many people are going to hear your ad a think lets go. Also Sat is a dead day for radio. Allen is also right with live remotes, they drawl no one. In the old days they brought great prizes to win like tickets to concerts but now keychains. also they do try to make you believe it has great value and charge you extra for the DJ to come out, not worth it and if you give them tickets to give away alot of the time thats when they come out to make it look bigger then it is. To me radio is only worth it if they are able to get you in with a big 3rd party sponsor, someone with alot of locations that will pass out your flyers. Discount flyers bring in people period. People want value and want to feel that they are getting a deal. And here's a great little trick you should try. Have a Win Free Tickets button on your website, they will need to give you there name, email and zip, also you could throw in how they heard about you. every week you give away a pair of your top tickets to one person on the long list of emails you are collecting. Then here is where it really pays off everyone who didn't win gets an email that says ( Sorry you didn't win this week, but be sure to check your email next week to see if your a winner. But here is a Special Discount just for you, This weekend only, and add in the dates, print out this email for _________ <- what ever discount you want. ) This way you can feel out your up coming weekend and figure what discount you want to put out , and it can be anything. We have done it for 3 years now and it works great we get a massive amount of those SPECIAL discounts back every weekend because people think there getting something no one else can. IT WORKS

PM me if you want more info

Robert

Comment

You gotta watch the radio stations sometimes they have haunt interets of their own which may be in your markets. Not naming names but we have had similar issues in the DFW market. Your haunt will never be the primary focus when they are driving the masses to their own haunt. I personally feel radio is a dying medium unless you get the morning or 5pm spots while everyones in commute. f you do any radio dont sink all your money into it just play with it and see what works for you before committing
                  I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

Every haunt that I've talked with or done consulting for have said that radio is a hit or miss, but mostly a miss. I always recommend they start creating more active and reaching marketing plans more into their social fronts as those will have the most conversion rates for your returns and for building haunt loyalty. Plus, if your creative with your advertising plans, they can be free and reaching more people than spending thousands of dollars on radio and TV ads.
                    News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
                    Get a Website and/or Mobile App for Your Attraction - http://www.charlesterry.com

Comment

I agree with Allen

We have done 2 remotes here and I have not seen enough in customers whatsoever. I personally think your money could be spent in better places.

Comment

Also, I think that you really have to examine two factors when considering radio ads.

1. What are the demo's of the people visiting your haunt.
                        2. Are they active radio listeners and if so, what stations.

The age of the person visting your haunt may determine if and what stations that you spend money with. If you have a young 13 - 22 demo that only listen to a few stations, but are more into Facebook and streaming radio like Pandora or the like, then I wouldn't buy the radio, but focus my ad dollars on social ads and new media. But if you have a large 19 - 28 demo that attend the local Univ and listen to the local college ran station the majority of the time, then it might be worth it.

The most important thing is to do your market research to find out who's coming to your haunt. That will tell you where and when to spend your advertising budgets.
                        News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
                        Get a Website and/or Mobile App for Your Attraction - http://www.charlesterry.com

Comment

Thank you all

Well you guys have me reconsidering my radio budget it was going to be around 5k to 7k so now what. I am a first year pro haunt and I am spending money on Newspaper, Billboards, One really cool LED sign since there is a festival right across the street that pulls 60k plus in guest each October.(pumpkin festival) I really do appreciate all the advise so far.

Thank you again
                          Shawn
                          Twisted Woods

Comment

Originally posted by Bradenton Haunted Trail View Post
                            I am spending money on Newspaper

Thank you again
                            Shawn
                            Twisted Woods
                            I would absolutely not waste any money on newspaper. Total 50+ demo at least in my market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Brett Hays, Director
                            Fear Fair
                            www.fearfair.com

Comment

Originally posted by bhays View Post
                              I would absolutely not waste any money on newspaper. Total 50+ demo at least in my market.
                              If you have a local weekly rag that gears towards the college and 20's demographic, this might be a good idea, but newspapers are dying and the demographics are aging out. I personally do not know of anyone under age 30 that subscribes to a weekly paper, but I read 5-10 papers online every day. You might see if you can only do online advertising with them...
                              http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                              http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Working...
                              X